Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 11:57 PM - 26 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Report from CP+ 2017

As for the last couple of years, I went to Yokohama for CP+ today. Most things have been covered already, but I'll add my thoughts, observations and a couple of bits of information I gleaned.

CP+ 2017
The show was as big and busy as usual on the Saturday. One thing that struck me this time was the diverse nature of the visitors. Of course, the vast majority if people were Japanese, but the crowd had a pretty good age and gender balance. There seemed to be a lot of young couples, many of whom seemed equally interested in the show and were talking knowledgeably about cameras and photos. Having seen pictures of Photokina and Photo Plus, it's a different crowd altogether. Also, the range of cameras being used was very broad. I saw a lot of K-1s, and a surprising amount of Nikon 1 and Canon M mirrorless.

The Ricoh booth
I think Ricoh had the best booth this time. It might not have been the most immediately impressive, because it was divided into lots of little zones, but it really showed what a range of products they have, and you could stay there for while exploring the various exhibits.

- There was a counter to try out most of the current models under supervision. I didn't bother because I've tried them all already.
- A full range of current products was displayed in a long glass cabinet. In case you are wondering, The Q-S1 was there, along with the lenses, as were the WG cameras. However, they were rather tucked away.
- I had a close look at the DFA 50mm mockup and it is definitely more than just a 3D printed model, but it did not have glass elements in it.
- The person I spoke to would not let on to any additional information, but I asked whether the Large Aperture Wide Angle on the roadmap was a renewal of the FA31 Ltd. and he categorically said it is not. It's a new design.
- They had a demonstration of Keenai the photo hosting service. It looks like good value. The main selling point seems to be that you can upload to the cloud without storing locally first. To be honest, I was just surprised to see it was even there, because some had suggested it was nothing to do with Ricoh Imaging.
- Theta had a strong presence at a prominent corner of the booth. What was interesting was the technical demonstration area. They had a video showing how 4K video looks better than standard HD. When I asked about this, I was given a strong hint that a 4K Theta is on the way.
- They had a small "Business Solutions" counter that had a 645 IR model, and there was a demonstration of how it could be used to read faded manuscripts. This counter also featured the Theta and G800 construction site camera.

Other booths
- Fujifilm: It was all about the GFX, but not very eventful otherwise. There was one very big print (4.5x3.5 metres). Ricoh should be doing that at every show for the 645.
- Nikon: "I AM HISTORY" if you believe some commentators, but the booth was getting big crowds for the presentations by photographers. Nikon certainly is putting some mileage on their "I AM" branding.
- Olympus and Sony both decided to have basketball players slam dunking to show off their continuous autofocus. It must have been a bit embarrassing when they saw each other setting up their booths with the same thing. At least Sony also had their comedy mechanical bird that has been wobbling around above their booth for the last three years.
- I went to Tamon, Sigma and Cosina, but no word on K-mount. Kenko-Tokina only had Samyang stuff in K-mount.
- Hasselblad: I got to try out the Mirrorless MF camera. It certainly is small, but the first thing I noticed was the heat it was producing. I thought it might have been heated by the lighting from the cabinet it had been sitting on, but it was the camera. This can't be a good thing. I bet this is why they've been having trouble with availability. The other thing I noticed was the strange behavior of the EVF. It does this strange thing where it goes all noisy just as you take the photo. I was both impressed and shocked at the same time. I think Fuji is going to eat them for breakfast.
- Panasonic: Average overall, but there was a very impressive demo of how their DFD focusing technology works. A video screen was showing the image as it is analysed, with arrows superimposed showing the direction of movement detected. So as you wave you hand in front, arrows appear in realtime, as if they were indicating wind on a weather map.
- One unwelcome trend for me was how many brands were showing off photography on 4K screens, backlighting, or otherwise illuminating prints to such a degree that the look like they are glowing. It takes all the subtlety out of the colours. Fortunately, Ricoh was not doing this.

That's it. If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

Last edited by JPT; 02-25-2017 at 12:03 AM.
02-25-2017, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for taking the time to write this report. It is very helpful for those of us who can't get to Japan for the show, and it is really good to have individual impressions of what is good, and which manufacturers are progressing in different areas.

I appreciate you have taken the time and effort to share this with us all.

Ross
02-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've taken in and processed a LOT of information very quickly - much better than I could have done - many thanks - it gives a great walk around feel with plenty of stuff you can't get from photos
02-25-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Banned

Thanks for the report. No expositie on images on print anywhere?

02-25-2017, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Banned

I AM HISTORY. … Is that right?
Now, let me put my keyboard aside, and roll on the floor laughing ..
02-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, good joke - and thanks JPT for your report, always a pleasure to read.
02-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks JPT for again being out eyes and ears.

02-25-2017, 02:20 AM - 5 Likes   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Uluru - Actually, what Nikon had by their 100 year anniversary timeline was "I AM PAST AND FUTURE" but my wicked little mind read it that way.

Ron - If you mean whether they had an exhibition of photos in print away from the manufacturers' booths, yes they did. Actually I went there after writing this post. It had been moved to a new art space with much more room. It was a lot easier to enjoy, because the aisles were wider. I spoke to a few of the photographers. Interesting how many of the images were collages and art made from photographs, some of it very original. There were also a lot of "pure" photos.
02-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

"I AM HISTORY"
Is the tile for real?
02-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this, always interesting to hear what the competition is doing not just Pentax.
02-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #11
Banned

Just for the reference; I understand some users are anxious about FA31 updated, but in the circles where Ricoh Imaging plays, 'large aperture' means f1.4 at least.

1.4 is large aperture.
f2 is 'meh aperture'.
f2.8 –> is 'are you kidding me?' aperture.

02-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Now, let me put my keyboard aside, and roll on the floor laughing ..
I can't hold myself laughing

---------- Post added 25-02-17 at 12:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thanks for the report. No expositie on images on print anywhere?
They ran out of Fuji paper
02-25-2017, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
"I AM HISTORY"
Is the tile for real?
Based on latest Nikon financial reports...it is 100% real.
02-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks a lot for sharing your CP+ impressions, JPT.

Your write-up displays sound judgment and a knack for journalism. Keep your reports coming; they're really appreciated.
02-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Based on latest Nikon financial reports...it is 100% real.
Just a recent leak: