Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2017, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imaging Resource: Ricoh’s “Multi-Imaging Technology” pairs a K-1 with a Theta S

An interesting article from Imaging Resource from their trip to CP+ Ricoh’s “Multi-Imaging Technology” pairs a K-1 with a Theta S spherical panoramic camera. According to the article, "The result is a rather cool multimedia experience in which high-resolution K-1 photos are overlaid and placed into the full 360-degree scene captured by the Theta camera."

The article follows up on one part of their previous article a few days ago written about their trip to CES. I post a thread on that here.

I am really, really intrigued by the possibilities of this future application of combining the Theta S and K-1! I have loved panoramas for years, and this looks like a fascinating approach. Keep an eye out: "So far, Ricoh is only demonstrating this technology as an early prototype."

Last edited by EssJayEff; 02-26-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Fixed links
02-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The link is broken in your post, for some reason.

Ricoh’s “Multi-Imaging Technology” pairs a K-1 with a Theta S spherical panoramic camera
02-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Thanks, I fixed it.
02-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like this.. and want this... too bad the cloud needs to be relied on though.

02-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I have that lens and both of those cameras, so I really hope this is a thing that I can soon do too.
02-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is really fascinating. This could be a gamechanger in the 360 degree panorama field once the technology is refined.
02-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's cool! I'd love to do that.

02-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
Banned

That really needs 4k video in Theta. Good start.
02-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really hoping this will be impilmented on the Theta S/SC and the K-1 and not some future products.
02-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so cool. Wonder if it would come to other cameras; I would think so. The magic is in the online stuff (or maybe at some point a desktop app). Although the Theta does stitching on-board, I don't think there's any way to get the DSLR image to it. Hence all online...maybe at the Theta 360 site?

I was gonna get a whole Nodal Ninja setup, but maybe the Theta and this would work as well. Doesn't look like you'd have to play with finding a no parallax point and so on. Basically just stacking and blending layers, no? Might also work better for some moving subjects than using a panorama technique; use the DSLR to capture the moving subject and that hi res shot is laid on a spherical, lower res shot, which doesn't have to be as high res.
02-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

I'd buy both products, K-1 and a Theta S for this feature. Real estate photography would be a great market for the resulting 360 hi-resolution images.
03-01-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
I'd buy both products, K-1 and a Theta S for this feature. Real estate photography would be a great market for the resulting 360 hi-resolution images.
The indoors low light performance of the Theta isn't something to brag about.
03-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's actually somewhat better than its competitors, but not as good as stitching with a DSLR and a nodal spherical pano rig. But that's a hassle. That's why the multi-imaging might help; use the K camera for the stuff that's important and maybe harder to capture. The blah parts might be noisier and darker, but still easier to use than the full pano rig. Convenience I guess is the big selling point (and capturing it all in one shot).

I'm wondering what it would look like if you used a flash with the DSLR; might produce a very cool effect.
03-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Performance of any DSLR isn't something to brag about if the purpose is ta take 360° pictures (not even mentioning video).

What was your point again?
03-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Performance of any DSLR isn't something to brag about if the purpose is ta take 360° pictures (not even mentioning video).

What was your point again?
That Theta could use an image quality upgrade for this work. I do think there is a market for this kind of work in presenting housing for sale.