Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #211
Veteran Member

As handling a camera is being "forged" by the way you handle a smartphone, viewfinders are not being used..The new slew of young photogs, mostly weddings and street photogs, will use Live View 90%, as it feels natural for them.
Dont believe me? checkout all these Youtube and Vimeo reviewers and dslr artists. They rely on autofocus and auto everything, they are not so concerned about the technical aspects, they want to concentrate on their work, Lightroom will fix everything after the job.They dont print bigger than 8x10, they burn a CD and upload jpg's. They hate to carry huge D6's,vintage lenses, and tripods.
Therefore this would be the perfect camera for them..

The K02..K01 with a grip,MFT mount(tiny lenses)
K3 sensor,wifi,bluetooth,HDMI,P-TTL flash triggering,K5 battery,Hybrid PDAF/CDAF,35 points-19 cross,Auto ISO, etc..
Sorry guys, K-mount has to go, use an adapter..

04-21-2017, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Good points!

Are there really many differences between smartphone images and entry level ILC images? The resolutions are similar. Phone's panorama modes and digital zooming replicate ILC kit lens performance. If anything, the superior computing and telecom resources inside a smartphone give them the advantage in fun filters and connectivity to social media. The only clear advantages of ILC are in longer telephoto and non-flash low-light conditions.

Smartphones are the entry-level cameras of today.

A very compact inexpensive APS-C MILC would be a smartphone minus social media, instagram filters, etc. It does nothing for Pentax except put them in competition with all the other compact inexpensive MILCs on the market.

We agree that Pentax should invest in future technologies but disagree as to which ones.
This isn't a problem of resolution. From phone to high end FF, the resolution is finally about the same arround 20-24 MP for many model. A bit less for older, simpler ones. A bit more for some dedicated lanscape models, but that about it. The high end FF have about 20-24MP and not 36MP.

MP race is for beginers that don't get that what make the difference is the lens and not the MPs.

If you like photography, you'll find yourself limited by a phone. Even a 100$ P&S is light ahead a phone just for the zooming capabilities and the dedicated photographic features. This is just that people that are not interrested in photography don't have to buy cameras anymore.

But the idea to go highend is not a real strategy. In particular when all actors are doing it. This make for more competition and it is hard to beat the existing established players there.

To be successfull, you have to do more than mee too product even high end one. The one that is move up right now is Sony and they do it thanks to mirrorless + better sensors and they start to have a portfolio of high quality lenses to go with the cameras. If things follow the current trend, in 5 years they'll be #1 and mirrorless will be the new standard for pro people getting rid of their DSLR.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-21-2017 at 04:09 PM.
04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #213
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never could get used to using live view to compose, focus and make a photograph. The only usefulness I find with the sscreen on the back of a digital camera is for chimping to check if I got the shot I wanted or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
They hate to carry huge D6's,vintage lenses, and tripods.
Well they should be carrying a K-1 anyway, not a D6.
04-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I never could get used to using live view to compose, focus and make a photograph. The only usefulness I find with the sscreen on the back of a digital camera is for chimping to check if I got the shot I wanted or not.
With glasses shooting ultrawide shots I tend to use LiveView because seeing the corners of the viewfinder is tough.

04-25-2017, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is that one of those sites who posts "news" after "news" regardless if they're true or not?
In any case, the only "true" thing is that some journalists imagined such a Pentax MILC. Ricoh Imaging has another story to tell: "We keep watching the trends in the mirrorless camera market, however there is no specific plan on our roadmap at the moment."
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

And of course, we discussed this subject to death.

what else I can say
05-21-2017, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
As handling a camera is being "forged" by the way you handle a smartphone, viewfinders are not being used..The new slew of young photogs, mostly weddings and street photogs, will use Live View 90%, as it feels natural for them.
Dont believe me? checkout all these Youtube and Vimeo reviewers and dslr artists. They rely on autofocus and auto everything, they are not so concerned about the technical aspects, they want to concentrate on their work, Lightroom will fix everything after the job.They dont print bigger than 8x10, they burn a CD and upload jpg's. They hate to carry huge D6's,vintage lenses, and tripods.
Therefore this would be the perfect camera for them..

The K02..K01 with a grip,MFT mount(tiny lenses)
K3 sensor,wifi,bluetooth,HDMI,P-TTL flash triggering,K5 battery,Hybrid PDAF/CDAF,35 points-19 cross,Auto ISO, etc..
Sorry guys, K-mount has to go, use an adapter..
Viewfinders are not just "not being used," an entire generation is growing up without knowing what an optical viewfinder is. We were at a restaurant and someone wanted a group photo, but insisted I be in it. So I gave my K-50 to the waiter, who was about 20, and he had no idea how to use the optical viewfinder. I had to set it up for him in live view. He's not the first person I've run into like that.

If the camera doesn't have a touch screen or the ability to post photos immediately to the cloud or social media in some fashion, then it is dead.
05-21-2017, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

Pentax is Doomed™ commentary continues by the usual suspects.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo