Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

The red flag in the article, (for me), is the fact that they compare the speculative M-E with the historical M-E(sic), when they should
be comparing it to the ME, (no dash). An easy mistake, perhaps, not unlike the frequent confusion between the KX and K-x we see
here on the forums, but any official announcement would surely not make this mistake.

03-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Didn't even get past the first page until Pentax was Doomed!

Regards!
I am not sure if that is good or bad.
03-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #33
farmerDavid

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My bad.

Isn't the combination of a tilting LCD and an optical viewfinder the exact definition of having the best of both worlds?
No. LCD needs to be hold at arms lenght which is ungainly, especially with a heavy lens. Also youre not as involved, you see around the frame and it is distracting (for infocused people like me.
According to the CP interview, they are working on a more hybrid viewfinder. I think that is great news. For me K-1 is more then enough camera.
Meanwhile I hope to spend some money on prime stars
David
03-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
No I had a K-01 but ultimately sold it. It has a screen not an EVF.

Do any DSLR makers make a camera with an EVF?
The sony DSLR (A58..etc) I believe

03-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

To make another k-mount mirrorless they'd have to do some clever engineering to it to not make it so thicc. Otherwise it's pretty doomed to be chunky due to the register distance of the k-mount on top of the electronics.

But hey, I could be wrong here. Who knows. A fully featured k-mount mirrorless really would be compelling because of the lens library of Pentax alone.
03-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
To make another k-mount mirrorless they'd have to do some clever engineering to it to not make it so thicc. Otherwise it's pretty doomed to be chunky due to the register distance of the k-mount on top of the electronics.

But hey, I could be wrong here. Who knows. A fully featured k-mount mirrorless really would be compelling because of the lens library of Pentax alone.
Well this can be done. The Fujifilm GFX-50s has a great viewfinder. Better then others. So put this on that k-mount mirrorless and ditch the back screen and there you have your relative thin mirrorless k-mount camera. Thinner then K-01.
03-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this can be done. The Fujifilm GFX-50s has a great viewfinder. Better then others. So put this on that k-mount mirrorless and ditch the back screen and there you have your relative thin mirrorless k-mount camera. Thinner then K-01.
But what if you want to frame something that isn't at eye level?

Backscreen is a considerably better compromise than some thinness. I'd rather them move to an OLED display than get rid of it if it came to that.

03-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #38
Pentaxian

i just invented an in-camera helicoid mount for the mirrorless camera in my mind. i'm calling it the pentax ltd.
03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #39
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I think mirrorless camera project — if it exists — is not about another sub-system, but just expansion of the GR concept.
That is, a fixed-lens camera of some sort, that may even have a 135 format sensor in it.

That is plausible. Everything else is suicidal.
03-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
But what if you want to frame something that isn't at eye level?

Backscreen is a considerably better compromise than some thinness. I'd rather them move to an OLED display than get rid of it if it came to that.
Some people will strongly disagree with this, but, having used the K-3 with a FLUcard and, more recently, the K-1 with built-in WiFi, I know that there is potential to ditch the LCD screen and substitute it with a smart phone or tablet. Most of the picture-taking situations where the use of the OVF is undesirable or impossible are amenable to this, but the transfer speeds will have to improve for it to be acceptable to enough people.

We would, of course, have to trust our settings more, and leave chimping for slower occasions, unless those who really need it could simply attach a smart phone to the camera body. Alternatively, such a camera would be for those who don't need to chimp.

Anyway, the LCD is only part of the thickness issue. While I could probably do without a rear LCD, I wouldn't want to be without shame shake reduction, which is the other thickening agent in the Pentax bodies.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 03-08-2017 at 09:17 PM.
03-08-2017, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I wouldn't want to be without shame reduction, which is the other thickening agent in the Pentax bodies.
That must be an important option for the Japanese market.
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That must be an important option for the Japanese market.
We must be sensitive to cultural differences...
03-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I never minded the size and shape of the K-01. And I really liked its simplified controls. But the slow autofocus, even after the firmware update, along with a rear LCD that was invisible in bright sunlight killed it for me. I eventually sold mine. But all of those problems are easily solved today. Creating a viable mirrorless Pentax camera is very doable. Ricoh must simply decide it wants to do it.
03-09-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

When/if both Nikon and Canon have larger-format mirrorless lines then Pentax will be obliged to follow suit or lose customers and become the only camera brand not to offer a larger-format mirrorless solution. It will simply mean that parts of the market for APS-C cameras have started to change. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. And it won't supplant existing full-format DSLR lines either.

Canon's M line looks a good way to go. A new mount allowing everything to be smaller but also a quality adapter allowing use of existing DSLR lenses and everything else (controls, menus, etc.) kept as nearly as possible the same so that the experience for the user is seamless from mirrorless to full-format DSLR. That way, a user is more likely to stay with your brand whether trading up or down, and h/she is also more likely to buy your smaller mirrorless item as a companion to a much larger full-on DSLR. The ideal travel camera? Something like that. I don't think this has to be seen as a big deal or as competition for higher-end DSLRs. It's just the evolution of the market. My guess is that this will happen, but not tomorrow. In the meantime, Pentax and Nikon will surely have studies and laboratory prototypes floating around and perhaps this article is derived from a leak of one of those.

Plenty of people these days have a mirrorless camera, often a smaller one, as a second system. But it's from a different brand. Every time this happens, Pentax, Canon and Nikon lose a potential sale. So in some ways a line of mirrorless cameras designed to be all in the family makes a lot of sense.
03-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
When/if both Nikon and Canon have larger-format mirrorless lines then Pentax will be obliged to follow suit or lose customers and become the only camera brand not to offer a larger-format mirrorless solution. It will simply mean that parts of the market for APS-C cameras have started to change. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. And it won't supplant existing full-format DSLR lines either.

Canon's M line looks a good way to go. A new mount allowing everything to be smaller but also a quality adapter allowing use of existing DSLR lenses and everything else (controls, menus, etc.) kept as nearly as possible the same so that the experience for the user is seamless from mirrorless to full-format DSLR. That way, a user is more likely to stay with your brand whether trading up or down, and h/she is also more likely to buy your smaller mirrorless item as a companion to a much larger full-on DSLR. The ideal travel camera? Something like that. I don't think this has to be seen as a big deal or as competition for higher-end DSLRs. It's just the evolution of the market. My guess is that this will happen, but not tomorrow. In the meantime, Pentax and Nikon will surely have studies and laboratory prototypes floating around and perhaps this article is derived from a leak of one of those.

Plenty of people these days have a mirrorless camera, often a smaller one, as a second system. But it's from a different brand. Every time this happens, Pentax, Canon and Nikon lose a potential sale. So in some ways a line of mirrorless cameras designed to be all in the family makes a lot of sense.
Remember that the KAF4 mount brings electronic aperture control to Pentax. Without that an Adapter for autoaperture will rely on a mechanically linked aperture and an adapter may be very difficult to implement. With electronic aperture this problems goes away - sadly so does compatibility with the majority of lenses ever made for Pentax. Rock and a hard place? Hopefully they can create an adapter with a mechanical link that is both reliable and compact and rationally priced. If so then this approach (similar to Canon M) could be possible. Without that the adapter may be fragile, large, and overly expensive or the body may require some compromises.