Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
New Meyer Optik Kickstarter: Triotar 35mm 2.8

So the Meyer Optik, or rather the people who use their trademark now, are running a Kickstarter for a 35mm Triotar lens. From looking at the photos, the bokeh is not quite as spectacular as with the 100mm (as expected) but it's still an interesting design.

I kinda like the idea of bringing back these old lenses, even though I would never spend that amount of money on them. I'd rather pick up an old Domiplan for £10 at a flea market. That amount of money would almost get me a K1, which I would need to use this lens to its full potential.

Either way, this might be interesting to some folks and it's available in Pentax-K as well. Unfortunately, the best deals already sold out.

Last edited by antipattern; 03-12-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: forgot the link / fixed autocorrect
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
So the Meyer Optik, or rather the people who use their trademark now, are running a Kickstarter for a 35mm Triotar lens. From looking at the photos, the booked is not quite as spectacular as with the 100mm (as expected) but it's still an interesting design.

I kinda like the idea of bringing back these old lenses, even though I would never spend that amount of money on them. I'd rather pick up an old Domiplan for £10 at a flea market. That amount of money would almost get me a K1, which I would need to use this lens to its full potential.

Either way, this might be interesting to some folks and it's available in Pentax-K as well. Unfortunately, the best deals already sold out.
Trioplan: rich snobs lens
03-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So it's a new expensive lens made to render like an old cheap one? Looks nice and all but that kind of money would buy a lot of funky old lenses.
03-10-2017, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I guess they have improved optical performance... and coatings.
For the rest, business as usual, but I particularly dislike the much distorted "first in - least payed" process from that kind of kickstarter.
Also, i find very surprising that they cover almost all SLR/ML mounts from the start, even if easier with no electronics.
Go to hell Sigmaron.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 03-10-2017 at 11:53 PM.
03-11-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xabolcs Quote
Trioplan: rich snobs lens
I have a 50mm preset Trioplane that came with an early Practica. I was surprised at how well it performed on the K5, It is all silver and well made, but I wonder, is this the lens all the fuss is about?
03-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

agreed, I wouldn't go for this lens.
03-11-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

...if only I could find a similar, deep-pocketed niche of customers to milk...

04-21-2017, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Looking at the comments page, it seems there are significant rumblings of dissatisfaction.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...if only I could find a similar, deep-pocketed niche of customers to milk...
"A hipster and his money are soon parted." You know that's who it's for. Their advertising pap screams it.

It seems to be a pure stop-down lens (not even a preset), but this has to be deduced secondhand via the warning that rangefinder focusing isn't supported on Leica bodies. And that's fine enough, I guess - the original was probably no different - but it would be nice if they stated it explicitly.

While I'm not going to buy this one, I do have two things to say about the lens mounts offered:

1) I am very pleased to see them offering it in Pentax K - I seriously think this is a consequence of Pentaxians' success in getting the Lomo Daguerre 64/2.9 done up in our mount.

2) If I were going to get it, I suspect I personally would buy it in M42 - not that I don't want to support the K mount, but if it really is a blind-mount lens with absolutely no coupling to the camera, there's nothing to be lost by choosing the screwmount and I would then have something I could put on my Spotmatics as well as all my K cameras.