Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a little bit confused. I thought automatic metering goes hand in hand with PTTL? I can even understand HSS with out PTTL.
So what is manual PTTL? Please dont go too deep in your explanation or I will get confused.

04-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just for the sake of completeness, there are three Pentax TTL systems:
- analog TTL (LX, SuperA, 645)
- digital TTL ( I think SF series, but certainly Z and most of MZ serie)
- digital P-TTL (from late MZ and current cameras).
04-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I am a little bit confused. I thought automatic metering goes hand in hand with PTTL? I can even understand HSS with out PTTL.
So what is manual PTTL? Please dont go too deep in your explanation or I will get confused.
I think he meant HSS without metering.
04-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I am a little bit confused. I thought automatic metering goes hand in hand with PTTL?
Well, that depends on what you associate with "P-TTL".

It is possible to talk about "P-TTL" as in the protocol that is used for communication between camera and flashes, and to use terms like "P-TTL HSS" to refer to the kind of light output produced by a Pentax P-TTL flash, along with the right timing.

So what is manual PTTL?
I'm not sure I used that term, but a sensible interpretation is "the use of the P-TTL protocol and functionality to manually control the light output of flashes".

Any time a Pentax camera (or flash) is involved and the triggering goes beyond simple X-sync (shutter speeds do not exceed they sync-speed) triggering, some portion of P-TTL comes into play. The current V6II needs to speak some "P-TTL" otherwise it wouldn't be able to do its job.

The firmware upgrade will make the P-TTL support more complete by at least adding automatic exposure support (based on P-TLL-style metering).

04-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

Do many people actually make much use of flash anymore? I used flash a lot back when I used film, then a Canon Rebel, but I find my Pentax cameras {Q-7 and K-30} work well enough at higher ISO values that I hardly ever use flash myself ... and I don't need flash coordination for fill flash. I did get Cactus equipment shortly after I switched back to Pentax, but I virtually never use it.
04-13-2017, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do many people actually make much use of flash anymore? I used flash a lot back when I used film, then a Canon Rebel, but I find my Pentax cameras {Q-7 and K-30} work well enough at higher ISO values that I hardly ever use flash myself ... and I don't need flash coordination for fill flash. I did get Cactus equipment shortly after I switched back to Pentax, but I virtually never use it.
Sure. Probably use flash more in the day than I do at night!

04-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

So do I .....

I don't see any relationship between using high ISO or flash . Flash is mainly about gaining control over the lighting balance, contrast and creative quality of the light in images ...... as such it serves a totally different purpose to high ISO settings on cameras, which are used to allow steady shots in low light situations.

High ISO cannot solve issues with poor quality ambient light, awful colours from artificial lights, or where there is just no light on a subject. In those situations it is questionable whether a decent photo exists to take really.

There's an old quote that often appears in books on flash photography, in some form or other, something like this ......'When you hear a photographer say "I don't need to use flash, I'm a natural light photographer" , what he means is "I really don't know anything about flash and don't want to learn it' .....

What do we think .... is this a true reflection on things ?

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-14-2017 at 12:30 AM.
04-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

There's an old quote that often appears in books on flash photography, in some form or other, something like this ......'When you hear a photographer say "I don't need to use flash, I'm a natural light photographer" , what he means is "I really don't know anything about flash and don't want to learn it' .....
Gary Fong put it something like, 'the natural light photographer is a chef who says he will only use a microwave oven".

04-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
So do I .....

I don't see any relationship between using high ISO or flash . Flash is mainly about gaining control over the lighting balance, contrast and creative quality of the light in images ...... as such it serves a totally different purpose to high ISO settings on cameras, which are used to allow steady shots in low light situations.

High ISO cannot solve issues with poor quality ambient light, awful colours from artificial lights, or where there is just no light on a subject. In those situations it is questionable whether a decent photo exists to take really.

What do we think .... is this a true reflection on things ?
I'm trying to envision a landscape photographer using giant flood lamps to "gain control over lighting". Sometimes the art is in figuring out how to make use of what you are given.
04-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Yes, that's true ....or just packing up and going home ! How many hopeful landscape outings have proven fruitless when the light doesn't play ball ....?

But when we are working with subjects within an area that we can control, then often the images (and 'art') can be created with flash lighting where little of much value existed naturally.
04-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm trying to envision a landscape photographer using giant flood lamps to "gain control over lighting". Sometimes the art is in figuring out how to make use of what you are given.
It's all light.

A good landscaper knows about using a flash to paint a building or tree in an epic starscape.