Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
"TTL Without Boundaries"

Evening Folks,

Cactus will release a free update concering flash compability.
V6 II and V6 IIs wireless flash transceivers will receive an update which will make them compatible among other brands cameras and flashes.
The Update will make TTL and HSS compatible among brands.

Found here:
Free Cactus Firmware Lets You Use HSS and TTL with Different Flashes and Camera Systems

Updates are cooming soon.
Cactus V6 II Wireless TTL HSS Flash Transceiver

Greetings,
René

Last edited by Tau-Ceti; 03-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.
03-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
Evenging Folks,

Cactus will release a free update concering flash compability.
V6 II and V6 IIs wireless flash transceivers will receive an update which will make them compatible among other brands cameras and flashes.
The Update will make TTL and HSS compatible among brands.

Found here:
Free Cactus Firmware Lets You Use HSS and TTL with Different Flashes and Camera Systems

Updates are cooming soon.
Cactus V6 II Wireless TTL HSS Flash Transceiver

Greetings,
René
Thanks for the note. Just bought our V6II 2 weeks ago. Great stuff...
03-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's really exciting news, for those of us who shoot multiple camera systems. Thanks for the update.
03-24-2017, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will this allow me to shoot TTL/HSS with Godox/Flashpoint?

03-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are we talking about wireless P-TTL HSS? What is this normal HSS. I dont want to be caught in this marketing talk.

I just ordered Acon so I need to know if I should cancel my order.

Culture.
03-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looking at the Cactus website, whatever specifically is offered (not sure exactly yet, but it seems to promise Radio P-TTL, and with cross brand TTL flashes) .... but its not coming straight away, as Pentax is not on the first release list, so you may have to wait a while.
03-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For more information, read the official press release:

https://www.cactus-image.com/Press%20Release%20-%20Cactus%20X-TTL.pdf

03-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So does this mean that you can use a Pentax body with a Canon or Nikon flash???
03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

After the update yes. But wireless TTL for Pentax flashes is not listed.
03-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote

Yes, it does imply that ..... eg an E-TTL Canon flash will work (via the Cactus V6II radio system) with a Pentax DSLR, and offer TTL automatic flash exposure control. What is not yet known is whether all aspects of the Pentax system will work in the same manner .... for example, will camera-set flash compensations apply to the slave units output, or will compensations only be performed on the V6II Tx unit. The press release does refer to ratio control also .... but again, until we get an actual Pentax specific announcement or actual firmware release, it would be speculation to say for sure that the system will work in exactly the same way as the optical wireless system from Pentax does.

Things like ratio control that currently have to be set directly on the Slave flashes would be great to have remote control over on the trigger unit from the camera position ..... that would add even more value over and above the optical P-TTL system we already have.
03-28-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I wouldn't hold my breath unless a real user has tested the capabilities which seems to be still months away.

They list three disclaimers already which ALL might negatively impact what is available to us:

QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Disclaimers:
1 With the exception of Pentax and Sony system flashes due to special
paired with a Pentax and Sony camera respectively in order to support
2 Only Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic system flashes support cross-brand
3 This function may not be supported on all the camera systems.
Plus you will find that there is nothing at all explicitly stating that you'll be able to use P-TTL HSS.
03-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

Plus you will find that there is nothing at all explicitly stating that you'll be able to use P-TTL HSS.
That was what I noticed too and the reason I mentioned earlier that I dont want to be caught in marketing talk.
03-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Those disclaimers deflate much of the hope I have for the product.

Plus, this isn't going to work with true TTL. By definition it's going to be iTTL (i.e. preflash based.) So it doesn't enable anything new for my collection of Nikon TTL-era flashes (SB-24, -26, -28.)
04-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

They list three disclaimers already which ALL might negatively impact what is available to us:
Practically none of these disclaimers will affect Pentax users.

If you read carefully, you'll notice that the limitations pertain to Pentax flashes being used in combination with other camera systems. If you are a Pentax users, you'll be able to use P-TTL with Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. flashes.

I guess there is a chance that they won't be able to implement second-curtain sync or something similar, but one should expect wireless P-TTL becoming available, plus P-TTL with other brands. That's pretty nice, considering this will be a free firmware upgrade.
04-12-2017, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Will this allow me to shoot TTL/HSS with Godox/Flashpoint?
Yes, it should.

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Are we talking about wireless P-TTL HSS?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
What is this normal HSS.
Not sure what you are asking about. You'll get standard P-TTL HSS.

Even the current V6II supports P-TTL HSS, just without the automatic metering aspect (manual control only). The firmware upgrade will add the automatic metering aspect and hopefully further features like second-curtain sync.

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Yes.

What do you think is being announced? Of course you'll be able to use P-TTL HSS.

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Those disclaimers deflate much of the hope I have for the product.
No need. None of the compatibility disclaimers apply to Pentax users.
As a Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. person you cannot use a Pentax flash with your system, but that's it.

Plus, this isn't going to work with true TTL.
What you are referring to as "true TTL" is the old, legacy analogue-controlled TTL. Cameras have not been using that system for donkey's years now. The V6II only works with gear supporting digitally-controlled TTL and the firmware upgrade will add automatic exposure support to the already existing functionality.

So it doesn't enable anything new for my collection of Nikon TTL-era flashes (SB-24, -26, -28.)
The V6 (without the "II") would be the right kind of trigger for this legacy gear. It speaks the old analogue-TTL protocol, so you can remotely control the power of all the flash models you mentioned.

Not sure what you were expecting to be enabled for this gear. It is not HSS-capable anyhow. I guess it could be nice to use an off-camera SB-24 with automatic exposure control, but I doubt Cactus will add this to the V6 model as well.