Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 03:46 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Ricoh to get out of camera business?

According to today's Nikkei, Japan's largest business newspaper, Ricoh is going to scale back camera business. It could get out of consumer camera business completely.

??????????????????????????????? (in Japanese)

Sad news...

04-11-2017, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An English summary: Ricoh may close shutter on personal camera business- Nikkei Asian Review

M
04-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

and the Pentax people at the interview in CP+ signaling nothing
I think it is a common practice or may be they already did send a signal when they say somthing like it will be noting to replace a K1 for a while, or even the reason of they are doing the K1 and name it as K1 which left many wonder what is the next flagship to replace K1 will be named. those are the signal? but well, will see what's next.

it is interesting to see big non automobile Japanese companies having a hard time penetrate today market. I often wonder why they don't do more to integrate with smartphone technology, smartphone apps and even drone market in the early day or even today.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 04-11-2017 at 04:22 PM.
04-11-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

I thought those around here said they were profitable. This article says they're losing money.. which is it?

04-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KonicaMinolta's regional copier office is in my building. I heard about the US operation reduction a couple weeks ago, so that part is spot-on. One can only hope this ends up limited to the WG series cameras.
04-11-2017, 04:06 PM - 5 Likes   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KonicaMinolta's regional copier office is in my building. I heard about the US operation reduction a couple weeks ago, so that part is spot-on. One can only hope this ends up limited to the WG series cameras.
Q can go too. Light it on fire and send it over a cliff if it saves K mount.
04-11-2017, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought those around here said they were profitable. This article says they're losing money.. which is it?
I guess people just guess from the sale of K1 only. I will listen to the news more than what people say.
this is Ricoh Japan stock out look. check out the 5 years chart and see the drop in 2016 and it stay there until today. that pretty much support the news.
7752:Tokyo Stock Quote - Ricoh Co Ltd - Bloomberg Markets

04-11-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
RJH

....or just sell to Samsung...

04-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in the words of Doris Day:

Que Sera, Sera - what will be will be

as afar as I can tell, not too much we can do about it.

[The song from Alfred Hitchcock's thriller "The Man Who Knew Too Much" - which made an important plot contribution to the film - also sold millions of records for Doris and Columbia Records, and has been loved by millions the world over. ]
04-11-2017, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes, not good! I hope the K mount line keeps going!!!
04-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
and the Pentax people at the interview in CP+ signaling nothing
Don't blame them. Most of them know nothing about what top management is going to do. They are like us.
04-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Another thought is.. I wonder if Sigma (especially but also Tamron) were trying to get Pentax out of the market by pulling back lens offerings over the years?

Starving the brand .. of course that could be entirely not the case. But it does make me wonder as a result of their lack of support on the more common focal lengths and unwillingness to even consider amicable agreements on offering more K mount lenses.

I'm guessing Sigma would be more than happy to have Pentax go away.. one less lens mount to support (and die hard fans constantly requesting more K mount lenses).
04-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Don't blame them. Most of them know nothing about what top management is going to do. They are like us.
no I am not mean to blame them. I could imagine their faces when they first learn about this. feel sorry for them, in fact.
04-11-2017, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Another thought is.. I wonder if Sigma (especially but also Tamron) were trying to get Pentax out of the market by pulling back lens offerings over the years?

Starving the brand .. of course that could be entirely not the case. But it does make me wonder as a result of their lack of support on the more common focal lengths and unwillingness to even consider amicable agreements on offering more K mount lenses.

I'm guessing Sigma would be more than happy to have Pentax go away.. one less lens mount to support (and die hard fans constantly requesting more K mount lenses).
Not quite. . .I would assume that Sigma has their own market data that showed how poorly Pentax-related sales have performed in relation to their own product requirements. I would think this data correlates to some extent with Pentax-branded camera product sales. And then add on the market information they obtain from people who are on the front lines selling stuff who can fill in the blanks about brand chatter, demand, buzz etc. Must be pretty quiet out there.

M
04-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Not quite. . .I would assume that Sigma has their own market data that showed how poorly Pentax-related sales have performed in relation to their own product requirements. I would think this data correlates to some extent with Pentax-branded camera product sales. And then add on the market information they obtain from people who are on the front lines selling stuff who can fill in the blanks about brand chatter, demand, buzz etc. Must be pretty quiet out there.
Yes, this seems more reasonable. I suppose the pull back from K mount support simply 'helped' Pentax even more though..
Closed Thread