Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 658 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #211

New 55"/65" OLED TV are the best way to enjoy your photography!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I feel so old. I'm streaming NFLX from a FIRE box on a 2006 42" 1080p LG sitting 14' away in a traditional family room, and I'm perfectly happy to keep doing that until the end of time or the monitor fries.

Even the wealthy and young people I know do the same. One television in the home. Turn it on intentionally to watch - maybe DVR'ed fare - turn it off when finished. I suspect most people are similar. It isn't broken. Keep it.
I did the same until my house was robbed 6 months ago, and with it my 11 years old 42" TV (which I paid over 4000 € in 2005), and of course the home cinema too.

I then looked for a cheap new TV, as I dont watch much TV.

But in the shop I saw a LG 55" 4K OLED TV whose IQ was outstanding.

The shop attendant told me to bring an USB key with my still pictures samples.

I did it and I was stunned : WOW, I had never seen my photography in such a pleasant way. 4K means 8MP on full screen, all sharp details are visible when coming close to the screen, yet no need to enlarge the image like when pixel peeping on the computer screen.

People in the shop gathered and told me they had never seen such outstanding pictures.

I bought the TV just for the pleasure to display my photography, and then I tried blu-rays movies, and, with a new good soundbar, I really understood what home cinema was!

04-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Part of my problem is my viewing room isn't large enough for 42".
04-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Japan's NHK started broadcasting in both 4K and 8K last year. I believe the 2020 Olympics will be broadcast in 4K. Japan was broadcasting in HD a full 10 years before it became available in North America, but that had a lot to do with the cost of HD TVs. 4K is a lot cheaper at this point in its development than HD was. I expect the adaptation of 4K will be much faster for the USA. By 2020 the major markets should be wired for it.

Hollywood is already shooting in 8K in an effort to future proof their movies. 10 years form now they can release the movies "re-mastered" in 8K when the format is common.
04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In Belgium, no real quality HD yet.
We get muddied 1080i. AC3 when lucky.
I'm not against 4K or whatever but getting proper HD would very nice as a first step.

04-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #215

Photos: Gallery
The problem with video will soon be the problem with photography: When is enough, enough? I can ski with a smartphone in my pocket and take acceptable photos on the mountain given decent conditions. A DSLR isn't necessary unless I'm shooting a race or doing specialty photography. This is because a type of Moore's Law is also applied to sensors, which are now "good enough" in DSLR for any amateur and most professionals. If I can print an acceptable poster-sized image...it's good enough. How much better of a sensor do I need? The answer is I want a better and better sensor, but I don't need one. Video is the same thing, except right now Ricoh is a bit behind the curve. Currently, a segment of the market does need more. In a few years, it won't matter since enough will be enough.
04-30-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #216
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys watch TV? I learned there are nowadays those flat, big TVs, that obscure your entire walls and windows. How horrible!
You should all come to Northern Territory, sit on a warm rock, and observe the sunset, while parrots fly above your head, and you hear distant water buffalo call, and wind among the treetops. It far surpasses the 4K or 8K and Dolby Surrounded or however it's called.
If you wish to make a phonecall, it can be arranged.

04-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
The problem with video will soon be the problem with photography: When is enough, enough? I can ski with a smartphone in my pocket and take acceptable photos on the mountain given decent conditions. A DSLR isn't necessary unless I'm shooting a race or doing specialty photography. This is because a type of Moore's Law is also applied to sensors, which are now "good enough" in DSLR for any amateur and most professionals. If I can print an acceptable poster-sized image...it's good enough. How much better of a sensor do I need? The answer is I want a better and better sensor, but I don't need one. Video is the same thing, except right now Ricoh is a bit behind the curve. Currently, a segment of the market does need more. In a few years, it won't matter since enough will be enough.
Agreed, though it's been a difficult process for me to admit it. do I have much use for a Pentax-A 400 F2.8 with a 1.4x dedicated extender or an FA-600 f4 lens, when I can get the same photo without 2 tripods
with the D FA 150-450.... by setting the ISO up to 25000 or so.? Similarly---what's the macro ring flash for if you have a good working ISO 25000 etc?

The photo that follows is a K-1 with a fa100mm macro 1/1600 f/13 and ISO12500 now if you compare the bug on the bottom flower to the bug on the middle flower, it's clear the the focus on the middle flower is soft
From the settings I got (using the program mode) and a hard set 12500 ISO I had plenty of 'camera' left to tweek the DOF if I wanted to.

Attached Images

04-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #218
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You guys watch TV? I learned there are nowadays those flat, big TVs, that obscure your entire walls and windows. How horrible!
You should all come to Northern Territory, sit on a warm rock, and observe the sunset, while parrots fly above your head, and you hear distant water buffalo call, and wind among the treetops. It far surpasses the 4K or 8K and Dolby Surrounded or however it's called.
But doesn't all the wildlife there want to kill humans? I'd rather observe it from the safety of my living room..

Seriously I get your point though. I spent around 6 hours yesterday at a quiet lake from mid day to sunset.. took photos but also watched the barn swallows (birds) play over the water and in the wind, bees hover around like drones.. also saw a duck.. and a snake (which likely was venomous!) and heard the geese quacking in a further part of the lake.. lizards roaming around.. and what appeared to be a pelican (not common in my area) all the while as the sun set through the clouds and gave some majestic gold rays...
04-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #219
Pentaxian

Northern Territory
Its where the outlaws hang out, my daughters up there shooting them(with a Canon).

Jillaroo Josie,on a remote station....satellite phn and that's about it.
04-30-2017, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #220
Pentaxian

You guys watch TV? - - - You should all come to Northern Territory, sit on a warm rock, and observe the sunset, while parrots fly above your head, and you hear distant water buffalo call, and wind among the treetops. It far surpasses the 4K or 8K and Dolby Surrounded or however it's called.
It's in Swedish, but you'll get it anyway. Launched as an alternative Christmas Gift as opposed to the "official" one, VR glasses.

Kjell
05-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Part of my problem is my viewing room isn't large enough for 42".
A 55" 4K TV is a pleasure to watch at 6' distance, mine is on a rolling table so that I can roll it as near as I want.
05-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #222

Photos: Albums

Crocodile dundee 2 (1988) Phone call - YouTube
Would Love to!!
05-01-2017, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
I hear this argument all the time, but ultimately it doesn't work. When I shoot a wedding there are literally 100+ smartphones snapping away taking pictures all the time. There will be a dozen people taking video of the bride coming down the isle. Unless the light is really good, those images and videos are going to suck. I might shoot one event a year where I think the light is really good. My last wedding got moved due to rain, so all of the wedding party pictures had to be taken in a covered courtyard with more people than I can count using iPhones and talking about how good the camera was.

If you are just an picture enthusiast then the smartphone is an awesome tool. For anyone who get paid and has to provide high quality under all lighting conditions, the smartphone isn't even an after thought. I love smartphone cameras. Just a few years ago I would shoot a wedding that there would be 10 Canon Rebel shooters at every wedding. Now people bring iPhones instead and the IQ is awful. Last couple of wedding I have not seen a single guest with a DSLR.
05-01-2017, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #224

The "don't need no stinkin' video go buy a Panasonic" crowd sounds a lot like the "don't need no stinkin' full frame go buy a Canikon" crowd from a few years ago before the K-1 was announced.
05-02-2017, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
The "don't need no stinkin' video go buy a Panasonic" crowd
What do you expect from Ostrich farmers?
Closed Thread