I shoot action photography
Do you like planes or helicopters best?

05-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Do you like planes or helicopters best?
Planes more than helis and then everything else that flies (from birds to bugs)
05-16-2017, 02:49 AM   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
That's lovely work. I have no doubts about the quality of the K-1's output. For me, the Olympus E-M1 Mark II made sense because I already own a number of other micro four-thirds lenses. If I bought a K-1, I'd have to begin buying Pentax full-frame lenses. Since I'd require more than just one, I couldn't stretch that far financially.

Also, I plan to shoot wildlife with the Olympus. With the Leica-branded 100-400mm zoom, I have a full-frame FOV equivalent of 200-800mm. That's optical zoom before any cropping. That's the kind of focal range you need when shooting animals. And it's all in a hand-holdable package with weather resistance.

Then there's size and weight. One can't call the E-M1 line tiny within the world of micro four-thirds. But it's still smaller and lighter than equivalent full-frame or APS-C gear. A few years ago, I thought seriously about buying the Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" for my K-5. That was one heavy package. Even the slightly smaller 150-500mm was a serious proposition in terms of size and weight.

While the K-1's full-frame sensor is certainly superior in some ways, the very latest 20mp micro four-thirds sensor surprises many people with its image quality, dynamic range, etc. So it's not like it's a bust. And I have high-res mode as well for when I want to shoot non-moving subjects. If I need to shoot video, Olympus quality is now up to competitive levels.

I will, however, keep my eye out for the new Pentax APS-C flagship. Here's hoping it'll be enough of a leap over the K-3 to make it a "must have" item. Then, if I can't swing it even after perhaps selling my K-5 and K-5IIs (I'd keep my K-3), then I'll wait until prices fall later in its product life.
I don't shoot with long lenses much at all, so that's not a big deal to me.

The biggest thing I see in full frame is better dynamic range at higher ISO settings than the base one. Most cameras do pretty decently at 100, but go to 400 or 800 and your shadow areas are pretty noisy. You just have a lot more leeway to go up on ISO and not forego post processing with a K-1.

I'm glad there are a lot of different cameras out there and I'm sure the K3 II sequel will be very nice with a great buffer and better high ISO performance.
05-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
It is because Canon uses CFast cards with much higher write-read capacity than SDs
Not only. Pentax is always slow to write to cards. They don't even support fastest UHS standard. Probably 'cos they should then pay licence.

05-16-2017, 05:07 AM - 9 Likes   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
It's funny that some people in here comment that they own(?) and use(?) a K-1 and they find it insufficient! .
I own and use a K-1 and it does find me insufficient. Fortunately for me it doesn't go and blog about it.... as I keep the wifi turned off so it can't!
05-16-2017, 06:22 AM - 3 Likes   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I own and use a K-1 and it does find me insufficient. Fortunately for me it doesn't go and blog about it.... as I keep the wifi turned off so it can't!

I know exactly what you mean my friend! Add me too at your "I'm quite insufficient for my K-1" group
In fact that would be a nice thread for many K-1 users that seek for some group therapy!
05-16-2017, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #502

<<I know exactly what you mean my friend! Add me too at your "I'm quite insufficient for my K-1" group
In fact that would be a nice thread for many K-1 users that seek for some group therapy!>>

Wow, a perfect description of me. Add me to the group!
05-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #503
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rondec thought this was a possibility:
Oh.. but you were responding to me. My post was just suggested we get a 1.2x crop mode.

It would probably remove the vignetting from a lot of DA lenses.. speed up the burst rate.. increase the number of shots that can fit in the buffer... and lower the resolution to 25 MP.

All four things would be welcome by me.

05-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #504
Pentaxian

I was responding to you, and you were responding to me, and I was responding to Rondec. It makes sense, if you follow the conversation - or your entire post
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Doesn't the D810 hit 6 fps in 1.2x mode? I think 7 fps with the oem grip..
Maybe a 1.2-1.3 crop mode is not a bad idea... if the viewfinder can display the markings (this is a big if). It would have to behave like the APS-C crop mode, instead of the 1:1 crop (which saves the full RAW frame, thus no speed increase) - or have this configurable.
05-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
My post was just suggested we get a 1.2x crop mode.

It would probably remove the vignetting from a lot of DA lenses.. speed up the burst rate.. increase the number of shots that can fit in the buffer... and lower the resolution to 25 MP.

All four things would be welcome by me.
Well that ship set saill with a full size sensor instead of aps-h. Lots of people laught at the idea, but this would be better then K-1 is now. People with a da*60-250 could just use that lens. Sales would probably be higher then now with K-1.
05-16-2017, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #506
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that ship set saill with a full size sensor instead of aps-h. Lots of people laught at the idea, but this would be better then K-1 is now. People with a da*60-250 could just use that lens. Sales would probably be higher then now with K-1.
No, sales would be ridiculous and so is your suggestion, not to say many of your posts.
05-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #507
Veteran Member

Well sales in North American market (including South America, the middle part and Caribean) in the three months from januari first to march 31th was only 5,8 million $. So doing better isn't unthinkable.
05-16-2017, 10:04 AM - 3 Likes   #508
Pentaxian

Doing better with a product nobody but you is asking for? That's the definition of unthinkable.
05-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #509
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I was responding to you, and you were responding to me, and I was responding to Rondec. It makes sense, if you follow the conversation - or your entire post

Maybe a 1.2-1.3 crop mode is not a bad idea... if the viewfinder can display the markings (this is a big if). It would have to behave like the APS-C crop mode, instead of the 1:1 crop (which saves the full RAW frame, thus no speed increase) - or have this configurable.

When I respond to someone (with a quote) is to respond to that particular person (unless otherwise noted).. any previous correspondence between parties is not directly considered.

Yes that crop mode would be excellent.. It is a neat trick on the D810.. but I think it would be more useful on the K-1.
05-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what a D810 would have cost I have a K-1 and a KP - so when I need a better AF, faster frame rate and deeper buffer to shoot my small (grand)children* I use the other body. flameon

But mostly I use the K-1 and I also disappoint it.

* Classic DPReference
Closed Thread