Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #841
Pentaxian

And thank you for noticing the ambiguous wording.
While I have no such inside information, I'd say they are using their extensive lens survey (at least). That's why they made it, right?
Maybe we already seen the effects: the ultra wide no longer being "large aperture", the wide becoming a "large aperture" D FA*, the tele zoom...

I have no idea why the execution speed is seemingly so slow. I hope we'll be given more information at CP+. Then, we'll have a Photokina each year to pester them about lenses

07-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #842
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The feedback after the announcement of the 6DII indicates that the camera market is changing fast. Pentax could transform the opportunity of not having so many recent full frame lenses into making primes lenses for a mirrorless system. That would give them a slight edge. They could keep the K1 primarily for use with zoom lenses, and optimize new prime lenses for size with a full frame mirrorless system. They may or may no jump on this opportunity, but if they don't, that means they're divesting from the camera market.
07-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #843
Pentaxian

So you're saying Pentax is doomed if they don't abandon the K-mount system (practically their user base), and start making lenses "for a mirrorless system" (Sony's? )
In other words, if they don't commit suicide, that means they're divesting from the camera market. Wow.
07-02-2017, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #844
Drop And Give Me 50!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eight hundred and forty three posts to argue about something like this. Don't you guys have flowers or landscapes to photograph?

I would be delighted to look at the fine work that all of you are capable of, rather than come here and wade through the drivel in these bickering threads about stuff that none of us has any control over. Seriously, we are all here because of a common thread.

Pentax cameras and lenses and the wonderful images that can be produced with them.

So go out and make some images and share them. Discuss the pros and cons of our chosen gear, and the results we can achieve with it.

07-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So you're saying Pentax is doomed if they don't abandon the K-mount system (practically their user base), and start making lenses "for a mirrorless system" (Sony's? ) In other words, if they don't commit suicide, that means they're divesting from the camera market. Wow.
Ricoh Theta does not use K mount. Was Ricoh Theta suicide?
07-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #846
Pentaxian

Ricoh Theta is not "a mirrorless system", and it doesn't take full frame lenses. It has nothing to do with your post.
It has nothing to do with mine either, as Ricoh Imaging didn't gave up on the K-mount for it.
07-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #847
Pentaxian

Ricoh Theta is not "a mirrorless system", and it doesn't take full frame lenses. It has nothing to do with your post. It has nothing to do with mine either, as Ricoh Imaging didn't have up on the K-mount for it.
Yes, it has to do. Ricoh theta was a new product different from legacy. It generates new sales. Anyway, I'm not sure what you are fighting against?
07-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #848
Pentaxian

I think you're intentionally missing the point here. I said, "abandon the K-mount system (practically their user base)"; which is precisely what your idea of not making new lenses for the K-mount means. Hint: mirrorless lenses can't be adapted to SLR mounts.
It's a very strange request from a Pentaxian; usually we want more lenses, not fewer. You are still a Pentaxian, right?

---------- Post added 02-07-17 at 08:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Eight hundred and forty three posts to argue about something like this. Don't you guys have flowers or landscapes to photograph?
Landscapes, with the K-1??? I will have an airshow in about 3 weeks; until then - and after that - please bear with me

07-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #849
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hint: mirrorless lenses can't be adapted to SLR mounts.
This statement does make me wonder about a very old potential counter-example, the (in)famous Industar 50/3.5, that Tessar formula which also forms the basis of the M37 Takumar 50/3.5 and M39 variants. IIRC this latter means that it once served the interests of rangefinder or viewfinder cameras (yesteryear's mirrorless), and something must at some stage have been done to its formula to suit it for the register distance of the M42. Or is there something I'm missing here? But no, you can't just fit it on and expect it to work.

(I also know that the FA43 was adapted the other way, to Leica, so something must have happened there, too.)
07-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #850
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This statement does make me wonder about a very old potential counter-example, the (in)famous Industar 50/3.5, that Tessar formula which also forms the basis of the M37 Takumar 50/3.5 and M39 variants. IIRC this latter means that it once served the interests of rangefinder or viewfinder cameras (yesteryear's mirrorless), and something must at some stage have been done to its formula to suit it for the register distance of the M42. Or is there something I'm missing here? But no, you can't just fit it on and expect it to work.

(I also know that the FA43 was adapted the other way, to Leica, so something must have happened there, too.)
M39 is "Leica L mount" and had a registration distance of 28,8mm. So without glass adapter it definitely will not focus to infinity. M39 is for rangefinders.

M37 is for SLRs and can be adapted using adapters in M42-to-PK adapters, see: Asahiflex Lenses on K-mount - PentaxForums.com and the adapter: Adapter ring for M37 screw mount lenses on a M42 camera
07-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #851
Pentaxian

This M39 is not the Leica LTM/L39 rangefinder mount, it's the mount of the first Zenit reflex cameras before they adopted the M42 mount.

- M39: registration distance = 45.2 mm, metric thread (1mm).

- LTM/L39: registration distance = 28.8mm, Whitworth thread (26 tpi).
07-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #852
Pentaxian

You can (mechanically) adapt a lens designed for a longer registration distance to a shorter registration distance by simply integrating an extension tube. So a SLR lens can be adapted to mirrorless.
You cannot adapt a lens designed for a shorter registration distance to a longer registration distance, because its optics would be in the way. A mirrorless lens cannot be adapted to SLRs.
07-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So without glass adapter it definitely will not focus to infinity.
I know - and that's why I'm saying that something, at some stage, has to have been done to that basic Tessar to make it work on the M37 and M42. Either mechanical - "beyond infinity" focusing on the helicoid - or a change to at least one of the elements in the optical formula. But what, and when, and by whom?

---------- Post added 02-07-17 at 15:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This M39 is not the Leica LTM/L39 rangefinder mount, it's the mount of the first Zenit reflex cameras before they adopted the M42 mount.

- M39: registration distance = 45.2 mm, metric thread (1mm).

- LTM/L39: registration distance = 28.8mm, Whitworth thread (26 tpi).
Aha!!! Thanks for clarifying! So they were practically already there with no significant changes needed. Thanks for clarifying that.
07-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #854
Pentaxian

(...)

I have no idea why the execution speed is seemingly so slow. I hope we'll be given more information at CP+. Then, we'll have a Photokina each year to pester them about lenses
Simple: Ricoh Imaging concentrate their meagre resources where there is market growth: on the Theta ecosystem.
07-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #855
Pentaxian

No, it's not so simple; the Theta doesn't exactly need many lenses.
Closed Thread