Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 658 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A colleague of mine who was a diehard Canon fanboy bought a K1 last year and says it's the best camera he's used. He still keeps his Canon for some specific purposes but the K1 is his go-to camera

04-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recommend an immediate e-stoning of whoever first brought up video and hijacked this thread. Let the OP cast the first stone
04-19-2017, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

For each Pentaxian buying K-1 another Nikon/Canon shooter jumped ship to Pentax

Since when does a " new customer" equal Canik shooter????

---------- Post added 04-20-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I did not try doing the video with the K-1 but I would imagine its no different.
I turned it on once,but the landscapes I was shooting didn't move!

Last edited by surfar; 04-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.
04-19-2017, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I turned it on once,but the landscapes I was shooting didn't move!
It has to be a windy day.

04-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #35
Pentaxian

It was a STILLs day!
04-19-2017, 06:24 PM - 4 Likes   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It was a STILLs day!
You should Stop it now before it Develops into a problem. Just Focus on the tiresome back and forth in these threads until you've been Exposed to too many Negatives. But that might go against the Grain..
04-19-2017, 06:27 PM - 5 Likes   #37
mee
Veteran Member

That said, I Leica these kind of posts and could probably go for moire of them...

04-19-2017, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Ha ha,...ya got a video of that?
04-19-2017, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You should Stop it now before it Develops into a problem. Just Focus on the tiresome back and forth in these threads until you've been Exposed to too many Negatives. But that might go against the Grain..
A post like that lens itself to more jokes until the mods call in a fixer. I shutter to think what will happen because something or someone is going to get bokeh'n.
04-19-2017, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

I got to zoom into town to see bif my new lens has arrived@PO...until then I better shutter UP.
04-19-2017, 07:23 PM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's happening in the real world.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
My impression is that professionals these days are expected to be adaptable and fully up to speed on the video side. So if a company wants to appeal to them, it needs to offer competent video and all that goes with it. Otherwise a professional is going to have to either run two set-ups or lose jobs. Video and stills are coming together quite quickly now. Of course, appealing to professionals is a costly business and a company might decide that isn't worth it. Fair enough. Or perhaps two set-ups is the answer. I dunno. It's pretty scary, though, when a click on a smartphone screen gives you either or both and no messing. Hard to understand why camera companies continue to make a distinction which a lot of folks may think is largely artificial. I mean, if the tech isn't up to snuff then get it sorted.
It isn't just professional, paid shooters. Pentax is simply not paying attention if they think they don't need video.

My son owns a retail athletic store. He builds reputation and loyalty by picking two or three high school lacrosse games a week, taking photos and video clips and posting them on his website and YouTube, and live streaming the entire game using Periscope on Twitter from his phone, tripod mounted. He uses a GoPro on a player during warmups. He's really creative with this technology - he'll try anything a few times and move on if people don't respond. The response has been astonishingly positive. People seek him out to compliment him - and ME if they know the association.

In only ten weeks he has purchased a 70D, 7D, 24-70, 70-200/2.8 L, 300/4 L and a cheap 15 - all Canon. Add the highest spec iPhone available x2. He posts stills during the game to Instagram connected to his phone by WiFi, uploads made-in-camera GIF's to Twitter, posts highlight clips real-time to YouTube linked from his phone. The camera > phone transfers are fast - they happen during 3 minute times out - and the camera jpeg development is routine now.

His partner runs camera two doing 100% stills for the website, which he edits in Lightroom overnight.

None of this work is truly professional quality and the gear isn't pro level except maybe the 2.8 zoom, but it gets the job done, video and still. He outright refused my offer of my new-ish K-3, or use of the K-1, because he would just have to buy video gear anyway. He has posted stitched panos from his phone of an entire empty football stadium at sunset. The Periscope streams are from a phone on a tripod - kids and parents (and even competitors and coaches) eat this stuff up!

I won't even start with my daughter's wedding, and she didn't even want video - but now the have a drone . . . . I have to use my K-01 to take grandchild clips - which is fine for that task - because it's the best video Pentax I have. 5 years old . . . .

FWIW, he also does this at local college lacrosse games that actually have national exposure. He says all the video shooters use Sony A7 with a LCD Loupe and chest stabilizer. If Pentax was any good at all we could do the same. He doesn't care whether the still shooters use Nikon or Canon because video is what people consume, not stills.
04-19-2017, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #42
Banned

Video is for consumerism and the digital photography world is getting swallowed by the video.

However, photography world is moving too, from the consumerist market now overcrowded with video displays, into art and therapy markets. Art and therapy markets are growing too, because of the insane consumerism of the 24/7 global news world, which must produce stuff like reality shows, fake news, commercials and moving visual rubbish amplified with insane rhythm to keep the audience hooked 24/7.

However, that creates sickness. Still images offer a retreat from that, and that is why photography is an escapism from the madness of consumerism. When 35mm photography started using 35mm film to create stills and not movies, it already began a journey into an art world of silence and deep contemplation, and of therapeutic relief.

So we may say photography today is an offshoot of the health and wellbeing industry; I take my Pentax and Leica camera to go out and relax, I use them as a stress relief, to lower blood pressure, to exercise, to talk to friends, to get away from the consumerism, and contemplate still moments, in which I can positively confirm I am alive and have my own thoughts.

If I wanted to ruin all that, merge all my life into one "big workaholic experience", wreck those rare moments of healing and have my death certificate signed off in advance, I would then rant about lack of 4K video in my Leica and Pentax cameras.

PS. Just look at Leica M10; Leica surveyed its users before the manufacture, and majority responded with "no to video". Leica did not put it in the M10. That is valuable, its shows resistance to consumerist madness.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-19-2017 at 08:09 PM.
04-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never bought a camera to shoot videos, if I want to get into the movie buisness I will buy a video camera from whoever. Nuff said
04-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
I have never bought a camera to shoot videos, if I want to get into the movie buisness I will buy a video camera from whoever. Nuff said
Neither have I, but that doesn't mean we're in line with the market. Until February I agreed with you. After my experience with real-world observation I have made a 180 degree turn.

Pentax is missing the market.
04-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
video is what people consume, not stills.
I'm chewing over this food metaphor and I still think there is room at the table for haute cuisine still photography to celebrate special occasions and home-cooked still photography for those who can afford to eat out, but find pleasure in making their own meals. Then there is the crowd who consume video fast-food for instant gratification. Pentax doesn't need to get into fast-food video to survive, in fact such a move would leave the brand overweight and malnourished.
He says all the video shooters use Sony A7 with a LCD Loupe and chest stabilizer.
What ever happened to the agile professionals using the same rigging with a 5D? It's a fad, not a market shift.
He outright refused my offer of my new-ish K-3
My son did his first paid wedding shoot with a T4i and a rented 70-200 (along with the kit lens) and he turned down my offer to be his second photographer or at least provide a backup body and lenses. His second paid wedding shoot was with a used 60D and two rented f2.8 lenses, once again he turned down my offer of a backup body and lenses. It's not the equipment, it's the owner that he is embarrassed to use in public.

Back to video consumers, I agree there is a huge market for low value, low margin product delivered as quickly as possible. Think of street food vendors. Almost zero barriers to entry and no economies of scale. It's alright if an industrial manufacturer stumbles into business from this market, but it's corporate suicide to make a strategic move to become a dominant player. Pentax may be a minor brand, but Ricoh seems to be making consecutive smart moves while all the other brands are stumbling.
Closed Thread