Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 658 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes John, that is correct to an extent.

Pentax still shooters are doing their 4K with other brands.

05-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #242
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
After lagging behind the industry for the better part of a decade, do you really think that people serious about video are still here waiting for Pentax to deliver? All that survey proves is that anyone that wanted to get involved in video has already left.
Yet it has been suggested half of the K-1s sold have been to people switching brands to Pentax.

IIRC a DPR poll across all brands confirmed video was something that actually wasn't important to photographers collectively.

It may be to you, which is why you have your Panasonics (who, by the way, are struggling in this market to sell cameras and are restructuring).
05-02-2017, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #243
Pentaxian

Buy the tool to suit the purpose, for the time being only though.

Not too far away the still grabs from video will be good enough for plenty of people.I have no idea of the time frame but its inevitable.

Tech moves fast, digital has no boundaries.
05-02-2017, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #244
Veteran Member

Apropos of this topic, I'm just here to show off my new signature picture.

05-02-2017, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yet it has been suggested half of the K-1s sold have been to people switching brands to Pentax.

IIRC a DPR poll across all brands confirmed video was something that actually wasn't important to photographers collectively.

It may be to you, which is why you have your Panasonics (who, by the way, are struggling in this market to sell cameras and are restructuring).
Somewhere between

"A-Video is a gimmick!"

and

"B-Pentax is doomed if they don't do 4k video ASAP!"

lies the truth.

For the record, I am arguing against A, based upon my needs. There are things that I do that are best communicated with video and I am choosing the tools accordingly.

For the record, I am not arguing B. Frankly, I don't care. I buy the tools that I need and get the job done. I don't care what logo is on it, as long as it gets the job done.

Regarding your statement about Panasonic, so what? I've been in technology for nearly 30 years and have seen once-dominant systems eventually thrown in the garbage. I started my first business in 1993 by putting a $20,000 piece of software and a $3000 laptop on a credit card. The laptop lasted 3 years. The software 7. I moved on. And should Panasonic or Pentax perish, I'll move on as well. It's the cost of doing business.
05-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #246
Pentaxian

Pentax are doomed(heard that one?) until they do 4K!...ha ha
If Ricoh catches up on the video side,itll be interesting what/where they choose to join the game.

The action cam and Theta are in there competing, we can only assume the dslrs will follow?
05-02-2017, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax forum haven't changed. Here is an interview that reveal that K-1 sell very well to old and new users. In addition we get a promiss of more medium format lenses. What's the forums respons? Whinings about the limited video functions. It would be OK if it was part of the thread, but it ends up dominating it!

Bonus: Evidence of Pentax long commitment to video...

05-02-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #248
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Somewhere between

"A-Video is a gimmick!"

and

"B-Pentax is doomed if they don't do 4k video ASAP!"

lies the truth.

For the record, I am arguing against A, based upon my needs. There are things that I do that are best communicated with video and I am choosing the tools accordingly.

For the record, I am not arguing B. Frankly, I don't care. I buy the tools that I need and get the job done. I don't care what logo is on it, as long as it gets the job done.

Regarding your statement about Panasonic, so what? I've been in technology for nearly 30 years and have seen once-dominant systems eventually thrown in the garbage. I started my first business in 1993 by putting a $20,000 piece of software and a $3000 laptop on a credit card. The laptop lasted 3 years. The software 7. I moved on. And should Panasonic or Pentax perish, I'll move on as well. It's the cost of doing business.
Well, I agree with all of that.

My point was of course that those 'based upon my needs' requiring 4k video, mechanical IS etc seem to be a tiny minority amongst Pentaxians, and quite frankly, other brands as well.

My Canon, Olympus, Nikon and Sony friends feel the same. By contrast, the one Panny owner I know (I'll get to play at some stage with his new GH5) *is* semi-seriously into videography, so does have that need.

I think individuals have a right to use a forum to agitate for change, but they need to recognize they're in the minority, and their campaigning can grate on others.

The 'Ask Ricoh' part of the forum has been shut down, presumably because of a large proportion of unhelpful posts.

Last edited by clackers; 05-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.
05-02-2017, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian

I think individuals have a right to use a forum to agitate for change
I wonder how the K1 came about?
05-02-2017, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #250
Pentaxian

My point is that those 'based upon my needs' requiring 4k video, mechanical IS etc seem to be a tiny minority amongst Pentaxians, and quite frankly, other brands as well.
They are amateurs asking for things that the pro don't use.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.
05-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well then, I suppose the 2 Pro photographers/video shooters that I'm friends with wouldn't have used 4k on their high end Panasonics for the stuff that I viewed in the Cinema?

It certainly looked a notch above the 1080 I can capture with a Pentax!
05-02-2017, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have recently completed a small project for a client. It contained basketball photos taken on my K3 (with a sensor that is no good in low light and which has AF incapable of taking action shots) coupled with my DA* 50-135 (a lens with the slowest AF of any lens since Adam* was a boy). I then plugged in an external mike and earphones into the K3 and interviewed the coach on the K3/50-135 combo. Great sound and bokeh but apparently the video is useless. Edited up the final product and client is blown away by the resulting quality and loves it. Hey I'd love to have a better sensor, faster AF, faster focussing lenses and improved video but my K3 does a cracking job for what I want. Love my (doomed) K3.
* Original Adam not PF Adam!
05-02-2017, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #253
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I wonder how the K1 came about?
Do you think Japanese executives make decisions based on nutters holding up placards in some Anglo internet forum or actual market research, Surfar?
05-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wedding and corporate photographers (at the least) have an existing need for high-standard video, along with quite a number of other things in that survey. The corporate imaging requirements I can relate to, although the desire for a movie-length life-story-cum-feature film of a wedding (when so much is spent already on a relationship that's almost guaranteed to be ephemeral) is something beyond my ability to rationalise.

Still, a paying customer is a paying customer, and the market drives the tools that are needed for a provider to stay in business.
05-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #255
Pentaxian

Do you think Japanese executives make decisions based on nutters holding up placards in some Anglo internet forum or actual market research,
Well the interview I read around the launch date of the K1 STATED, that Ricoh had listened to the Pentax user base!....I wonder where else that user base hangs out?...I do see a few over on the Fuji Forum.
Closed Thread