Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 658 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #706

(lookin at the watch and estimating how long until post gets edited...)

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-05-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Looks like it took about 15 hours.
06-04-2017, 11:55 AM - 3 Likes   #707
Pentaxian

Criticism for the sake of criticism is pointless. Criticism doesn't always make sense either; and theories aren't always true (remember your theory about electronic shutter speeding up things?)

"The fact that that bigger sensor pixel size means cleaner, more crisp lookin pictures" - since when is that a fact? It's very much false, the higher resolution sensor will give you more detail.
Observe: Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review
The difference to the 12MP A7s II is staggering. The difference to the 20MP 6D and even the 24MP D750 is still noticeable, and that's with the K-1 using the film-era 77mm.

"those "enthusiasts"(mostly peeps that are involved with ricoh or selling their cameras) in here"
Every person who accuses people here of being Ricoh Imaging salesmen or other such nonsense is a Sony shill. Every single one of them.
What, it never occurred to you that such accusations can be turned against you?

36MP doesn't hit any ceiling; higher resolution sensors are already on the market (42 and 50MP), and even that isn't a ceiling.
Wanting a higher resolution FF camera is perfectly valid, by the way.
06-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #708
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
"Yada yada yada... Everything that PENTAX does, is just soo great and really makes photography great again man. Brilliant!" (Get it?)...yada yada yada......
From the way you talk, one would have to conclude that it's impossible to take good photos with current Pentax equipment. I don't know. Perhaps you can't, but some people here definitely can.
06-04-2017, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very bizarre, i know; . . . . . . . . . . . So blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap, blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap . . . . . . . . . . .

(lookin at the watch and estimating how long until post gets edited...)

So blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap, blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap . . . . . . . . . . .
I'm not sure what you are getting at. My expectation is that the sequel to the K-1 will have a higher megapixel sensor than the K-1 that performs better and probably has 4K video. I don't know how good the video will be and it probably won't matter much from my standpoint, but hey, it will check a box for some people.

The 36 megapixel sensor gives the best low iso performance for any sensor out there. Considering that a lot of Pentaxians do landscape and portrait work, it makes sense to use that sensor, particularly considering the cost. Using the older 24 megapixel sensor found in the D610 wouldn't allow for 4K video -- neither it nor the A7 have 4K video. It just would give slightly lower res files.

As far as speaking to Pentax, they do monitor the forums and they know that tracking auto focus is probably the biggest knock on their cameras and I'm sure they are working on it. The K-1 is significantly better than past cameras and future cameras will do better than it. But you don't get to D5 or A9 performance levels over night. If someone needs a D5 then I have no idea why they would even look at a K-1.

Every launched camera is targeted at a niche of users. If I were to guess, I would say that Pentax was aiming at Wedding/Portrait/Landscape/Hobby-ist photographers -- none of whom need a huge number of lenses or high end frame rates and tracking focus. And as such the K-1 is a success.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-05-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Cleanup, aisle 5 . . . . . .
06-04-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #710
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
more crisp lookin pictures .
36Mp pictures have *much* higher resolution than the sensor on the A9 or D750.

I shoot with both a 36Mp K-1 and a 24Mp A7, how about you?

Most people who often post what they think without a doubt, get edited or totally removed from the forums when not in conjunction with the "usual suspects".
I dont think thats a good way to do marketing for that brand, but OK... maybe thats intended.
(lookin at the watch and estimating how long until post gets edited...) .
Who has done this to you, Camyum?

Paranoia, much?
06-04-2017, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #711
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Who has done this to you, Camyum?

Paranoia, much?
Ruh Roh.

It happens on that other site.

Which is why this site exists.
06-04-2017, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #712
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It happens on that other site.
Other site? As if there's another site.

06-04-2017, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #713
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My expectation is that the sequel to the K-1 will have a higher megapixel sensor than the K-1 that performs better and probably has 4K video. I don't know how good the video will be and it probably won't matter much from my standpoint, but hey, it will check a box for some people.
I really don't know what to expect. Sony is focused on sensors that have excellent video functionality and 8K only needs 33MPs. I would think the K-1 replacement is still 2 years away and by then the 42MP sensor will be close to 5 years old. I expect that Sony will produce a 33MP 8K sensor in the next couple of years. 30fps at 33MP is 8K video and Sony is close to producing that. A Fuji lens engineer hinted that the GFX lenses were designed for the Sony 100MP MF sensor so we know Sony has one in the works. So there is a 70+MP FF sensor also in the pipe.

Ricoh could take the existing 36MP sensor and simply:
Improve the AF --- This is literally the oldest piece of technology that is in the camera. Why have they not mastered this yet?
Give it a bigger buffer I would like to see the buffer 4x as big ---- OR ----
SDXC UHS-III - With really fast cards you don't need the huge buffer. The cards can write as fast as the camera shoot.
Offer improved connectivity
Improve the JPEG engine (this sells a lot of Fuji Camera even to RAW shooters)
Improve the current hybrid OVF overlay.
Auto Lens calibration - Use the CDAF to calibrate the PDAF system.

There are a dozen different support technologies that Ricoh needs to improve up on. They could recycle the 36MP sensor for a K-1 Super and a lot of people would be happy. The 36MP sensor yields amazing RAW files. You have to go to the 645z or Fuji GFX to get a better RAW file.

Of course the number 1 thing I want to see from Ricoh is glass. Big, beautiful premium glass like they gave us with the D-FA* 70-200mm. The "Year of the Prime" is halfway over and so fare I have not been impressed.
06-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Improve the AF --- This is literally the oldest piece of technology that is in the camera. Why have they not mastered this yet? Give it a bigger buffer I would like to see the buffer 4x as big ---- OR ---- SDXC UHS-III - With really fast cards you don't need the huge buffer. The cards can write as fast as the camera shoot.
Unless the K1 was primarily designed as a still camera, leaving an empty space for a faster aps-c DSLR. After all, how Canon segments the market makes a lot of sense.

Of course the number 1 thing I want to see from Ricoh is glass. Big, beautiful premium glass like they gave us with the D-FA* 70-200mm. The "Year of the Prime" is halfway over and so fare I have not been impressed.
Indeed. I guess that innovation on cameras play a role in attracting (new) customers, and lenses are what prevent customer to switch to another brand. I can understand that if I'd own Canon big glass that others don't have, I'd not move easily to another brand even if the Canon camera was not the best.
06-04-2017, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #715
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ouch enough of 'I don't understand a thing but Ill still pee on you'.
Boriscletoed.
06-05-2017, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #716
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So far we have ssen a major standstill with regards to image sensors from Sony for what, 5 years, when it comes to ultimate image quality.
The 36 Mpx sensor still leads the pack.

If you look at the recent fails like the 42 Mpx or the low res one used in the A9 (not even mentioning epic fails like the thingy used in the D5), they all suck big time on image quality if you have high standards.
They are even worse than older APSC models, so their technology status is like 2-3 stops behind what we all could expect as minimum.

When using fast lenses which vignette 3+ stops (think of the Sigma 35mm Art) you need every bit of dynamic range you can get if you want to retain at least minimal options to adjust in post beyond simple basic lens correction.

Photography is all about light and I don't care a bit if someone offers 0,x stops more dynamic range in darkness or at images shot with extra high shutter speeds. That is going to be less than meh images anyway most of the time.

Since with pixelshift we already have access to 50 Mpx results and while I can see advantages if I search for them, more than 36 MPx is nothing I see as desireable as well. 30-36 Mpx to me is the sweet spot.

So: Stick with about 36 Mpx resolving power and work hard on improving maximum dynamic range at ISO 100 or 200. That is where the good stuff is. And that is where there was no significant improvement for a looong time in Sony sensor land.

I bet that all the users jumping ship from Nikon and Canon and coming to Pentax today are going there not the least for the market leading image quality the K-1 can provide in its price bracket.
06-05-2017, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #717
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If you look at the recent fails like the 42 Mpx or the low res one used in the A9
This is kind of a bold statement. What are you going to say when those sensors end up into a Pentax camera?
While it's good to support Pentax in a Pentax forum in all fairness, going to the extreme of what's believable could also be misleading.
I don't think the Sony 42Mp sensor is a "fail".
06-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #718
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is kind of a bold statement. What are you going to say when those sensors end up into a Pentax camera?
While it's good to support Pentax in a Pentax forum in all fairness, going to the extreme of what's believable could also be misleading.
We all state our opinions here. To me a "current" FF sensor with a max dynamic range of a seven year old K-5 APSC camera is a fail and yes, I consider it crappy enough to be a total show stopper for me if a next Pentax FF would use such a failed design as I consider it two steps backward.
It's like someone plugged the K-7 sensor with 10% more pixels into a K-3 III and called this "ok".
06-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It really seems as though Sony has improved high iso shooting and video at the expense of low iso dynamic range. The thing is that when you can use pixel shift to improve your base dynamic range, then maybe that makes it more usable for landscape situations.

I don't personally shoot a whole lot of high iso photos or video and it seems as though most Pentaxians who shoot a lot of video have gotten another camera to do that at this point. But that is Sony's focus in their sensors right now (and adding phase detect auto focus points to them).
06-05-2017, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #720
Veteran Member

I really don't know what to expect. Sony is focused on sensors that have excellent video functionality and 8K only needs 33MPs. I would think the K-1 replacement is still 2 years away and by then the 42MP sensor will be close to 5 years old. I expect that Sony will produce a 33MP 8K sensor in the next couple of years. 30fps at 33MP is 8K video and Sony is close to producing that. A Fuji lens engineer hinted that the GFX lenses were designed for the Sony 100MP MF sensor so we know Sony has one in the works. So there is a 70+MP FF sensor also in the pipe.

Ricoh could take the existing 36MP sensor and simply:
Improve the AF --- This is literally the oldest piece of technology that is in the camera. Why have they not mastered this yet?
Give it a bigger buffer I would like to see the buffer 4x as big ---- OR ----
SDXC UHS-III - With really fast cards you don't need the huge buffer. The cards can write as fast as the camera shoot.
Offer improved connectivity
Improve the JPEG engine (this sells a lot of Fuji Camera even to RAW shooters)
Improve the current hybrid OVF overlay.
Auto Lens calibration - Use the CDAF to calibrate the PDAF system.

There are a dozen different support technologies that Ricoh needs to improve up on. They could recycle the 36MP sensor for a K-1 Super and a lot of people would be happy. The 36MP sensor yields amazing RAW files. You have to go to the 645z or Fuji GFX to get a better RAW file.

It is looking increasingly as if both Nikon and Canon will have FF or at least large-sensor mirrorless cameras out there by the end of 2018. In addition, most of the companies are ramping up for the spotlight at the Tokyo Olympics with increasingly outlandish specs promised or rumoured. TBH, much of Ricoh's energy may be taken up with working out how to stay afloat at a time of great change and great demands on investment. "Which sensor?" is going to be the least of their worries if market changes oblige them to start down a serious mirrorless road. "Where is the money going to come from?" may be the more pressing question. They will use the best of whatever is around at the time - which will be fine, because that's what everyone else will have to use as well.
Closed Thread