Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #871
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am happy to report that manual focus on K-1 is superb.

Take that, cynics.

09-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #872
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
Would the creator of the thread be so kind and repeat its title after citing my following line:

Nikon is Sorry That the D850 Sold Out Before It’s Even Out

Nah, I didn fancy that one...
Nikon is Sorry That the D850 Sold Out Before It's Even Out

...I am also an enthusiast to the brand(big fan) but think its time to close this thread and start a new one called:

Petition for significantly better AF and faster framerates instead of megapixel-madness
I've heard that the D810 also sold out its first production run before it was released.
We don't know the significance of that, because we don't know the size of the first production runs.
09-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #873
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We don't know the significance of that, because we don't know the size of the first production runs.
Yes, I agree. It's all relative. Saying that the demand exceed production sounds good in the hear of the Nikonian and others. It was the same for the K1 :-) although it sounded a slight bit odd for a brand having less than 10% market share.
09-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've heard that the D810 also sold out its first production run before it was released.
Back with the D800/D800E they were producing 30,000 D800 and about 10,000 D800E per month. When I ordered my D800 in April 2012 Nikon already had over 500,000 registered orders and took until the end of July for my D800 to arrive

With the D850 I would not be surprised if they had ramped up production to 40-50,000 units per month.

09-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #875
Pentaxian

But the DSLR market declined quite a bit since 2012.
09-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #876
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On paper the D850 is a great camera. I hope it proves to be that - it will take sales from Canon, not Pentax - and if it's as good as it looks, it deserves to, and it will be good for photography. No problem. To say that it invalidates a thread started way before it was announced, or even rumoured, is just silly though.
09-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
On paper the D850 is a great camera
...I wonder if it will top the D750?...it;ll have to have 5 recalls for that.

09-02-2017, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #878
Veteran Member

...- it will take sales from Canon, not Pentax.
... thats just like... your oppinion man.

lookin at what package PENTAX decided to offer for its first full frame(the K-1)...(high MP, tacky design etc.)... i just wouldnt say that.
It actually sits in the same boat as D800 series... (but not on the best seat)

Canons 5Ds actually has already more than 50MP resolution... its above the D850 resolution, and it was released 2015...
so its obvious the successor of the 5Ds will also have 4K and higher framerates like around 10fps burst.
So why for Petes sake, would any sane Canon user jump ship now? ...dont get it

No, actually Nikon is fishing exactly where Pentax decided to go fishing with the K-1 and its called
The Ocean of "I-do-want-to-upgrade-to-fullframe-and-I-want-high-res-because-i-dont-know-how-to-hold-a-cam-even-if-either-its-lens-or-body-has-stabilizer-technology-and-when-I-downsize-my-failed-results-no-one-will-notice"
(Some also call it theOcean of: "I-didnt-know-that-high-res-sensor-cameras-demand-steady-hands-because-higher-res-makes-the-slightest-shake-visible-why-the-hell-doesnt-this-SR-tech-help-me")

And since it is a fact that one who can bash out 2000 bucks for a full frame and knows if he wants 1-2 good to excellent lenses he will have to shell out at least 2000 more;
He/She may also consider a D850 for app. 3000-3400 in conjunction with a used "Nikon AF-S VR 70-200mm 2.8E FL ED" that actually costs(new) about the same as Pentaxes 70-200 lens, whilst offering far superior stabilizer experience beyond 135mm because,
not only that its also weather sealed, additionally to its lightning fast AF-drive the Nikon lens also has a stabilizer built in, that feels like it works like its freezing your hands or respectively your frame.

Keep in mind:
PENTAX-IS-DOOMED™
09-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #879
Veteran Member

On paper the D850 is a great camera.
Yes, it is. Focus stalking, 9fps at 45mp and with the af from D5...it's impresive. All I have to say to Nikon for releasing D850 is CHAPEAU!

I hope it proves to be that - it will take sales from Canon, not Pentax - and if it's as good as it looks, it deserves to, and it will be good for photography.
No, it won't take sales from Canon. Photographers who shoot with D810 and 5DsR don't switch the boat each time a new body is released by Canon or Nikon. We're not talking about amateours here... Not to mention that 5DsR Mark II is coming in the first or second quarter of 2018 and it should be interesting to see Canon's response to D850. By that time people will also find out if D850 has problems, like D600 and D750 had.

2018 sounds like a very interesting year for photographers because we will probably see also the long awaited full frame mirrorless cameras from Nikon and Canon because they realised by now that Sony and Fuji are getting stronger.
09-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #880
Pentaxian

PENTAX-IS-DOOMED
Where u hear that?

thats just like... your oppinion man
09-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
No, it won't take sales from Canon. Photographers who shoot with D810 and 5DsR don't switch the boat each time a new body is released by Canon or Nikon. We're not talking about amateours here.
there's always new people entering the game - and some of them have money and want to go in high with prestige models
09-02-2017, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #882
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax right now is like Subaru before it was cool. People won't really switch from some other brand to Pentax. But every year a few different, curious people will try Pentax and stick with the brand. Over time the brand will grow slowly, slowly, and then suddenly.

Pentax doesn't have to be Toyota.
09-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #883
Pentaxian

I'll wait for the Pentax answer to the D850. Until then (around 2020) my K-1 covers my needs and is an excellent camera. What is needed is more glass and since I see no third party support, Pentax has a long and difficult path in front of her in order to strengthen its base (hold Pentaxians and attract some newcomers).
09-03-2017, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Focus stalking
That could get you arrested
09-03-2017, 01:59 AM   #885
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The fanboy claim that a 3,800 EUR body is going to have any significant impact on sales of a body that can be had for 50% of that price brand new is at least showing some naivity, to put it nicely.

When someone wants to buy a house and has a $300k budget, how much impact does a good looking $600k house have on the average buyer? Remember, the average buyer is neither a whiner, fanboy nor idiot. The first and foremost quality criterion for any mass market consumer product is price.

If the D850 or a A9 offering was competitive in any way (it is not) then we would not see the whiners whine here, but they would already have preordered one.
Once we read 40-50 users here who have preordered a D850 and not already are invested in Nikon then we can start talking about a product that seems to draw in users of another brand.

The A9 is a gift for D1X and D5 buyers as it will put pressure on them. The D850 is a gift for the Canon community as it might lower 5DIV prices (depending on its quality appeal).
We have a free market. Either 5DIV prices are dropping now, or the D850 can be see as a failed attempt by a small player to regain some footing versus the sole dominating market leader.
Closed Thread