Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

It's becoming clear that the Theta is where a lot of Ricoh Imaging's time and money is going, hence the lack of new lenses etc. This is probably a good thing for them, since if they are proactive and can corner this market before others do, the benefits will undoubtedly trickle back into Pentax-land.

A lot of the Pentax is Doomed stuff that's come around recently has been related to the speed at which products and communication come out of RI. I think the truth is that businesses wax and wane to a certain extent. We have actually had a decent amount of new cameras since Ricoh took over Pentax (Not on a Nikon scale, but we now know that they overdid it), and with 4k and 360 video becoming a thing, it makes sense for RI to try and grab this opportunity.
If it works out for them, Pentax will reap the benefits. Look at what the iPod did for Apple - a company only attractive to nerds and people with specific professional needs had its appeal widened enormously by branching out at the right time, and it now has a much wider market share whilst retaining its traditional customer base. There has already been a lot of chat about the Theta, and I know a lot of people who are interested in them. The key buzzword that is 4K, matching with the camera systems that video-centred photogs use, combined with the clever set of microphones, may be the thing that it needs to push it over the edge.
This camera means that Ricoh Imaging has the ability to make 4k video, and video-friendly devices. Pentax video is likely to come, we just have to be patient.

04-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
It's becoming clear that the Theta is where a lot of Ricoh Imaging's time and money is going, hence the lack of new lenses etc.
So they have three guys working there; one is designing and producing cameras, one is designing and making lenses, the third communicates with media and suppliers. At any time, they can do just one thing.
04-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

GoPro Fusion will have 5.2K.

GoPro's Fusion camera lets thrillseekers shoot 360-degree video in 5.2K

Interesting...
04-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So they have three guys working there; one is designing and producing cameras, one is designing and making lenses, the third communicates with media and suppliers
Maybe it's just one very proficient juggler

04-25-2017, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Banned

On paper sounds like a home run to me:

04-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote

Ricoh Theta 360 4K : NAB 2017 Adorama First Look - YouTube
Looks good.
04-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote

Ricoh Theta 360 4K : NAB 2017 Adorama First Look - YouTube
The Android base and API is pretty interesting. Hopefully we'll get some 3rd party developers working on cool stuff...
04-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

According to dipreview, Yi Technology have now come out of the Chinese corner with a Theta of their own, claiming 5.7K as well as 4K whatever that really means in practice. A K here, a K there and pretty soon you're talking a serious weight, mon. I suppose the good news is that it means plenty of people must think there is a market for these devices. Apologies if this news have been posted before.

04-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Have you see the Facebook 360 gear?

But Facebook support Theta who is very important
How to post 360-degree photos to Facebook - CNET
04-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Video is a fad, a gimmick etc
(Not according to me but others on this forum)
I confess I had no interest until my son started posting High School and College Lacrosse highlight videos shot with a 7D ll on YouTube. He's building a social media following (and sales) for his company; his followers clamor for more!
04-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Have you see the Facebook 360 gear?
I hadn't, but now I want to see a rugged rubber coated version the size of a lacrosse ball. Use it in a game and that's the video footage I'd watch. Gravol on standby.
04-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I hadn't, but now I want to see a rugged rubber coated version the size of a lacrosse ball. Use it in a game and that's the video footage I'd watch. Gravol on standby.
Oh my. I recently watched a NY Times 360 piece where the reporter was holding the 360 camera and walking down into the NYC subway. My tolerance for VR is pretty high but it was very nauseating!
04-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
According to dipreview, Yi Technology have now come out of the Chinese corner with a Theta of their own, claiming 5.7K as well as 4K whatever that really means in practice. A K here, a K there and pretty soon you're talking a serious weight, mon. I suppose the good news is that it means plenty of people must think there is a market for these devices. Apologies if this news have been posted before.
Yi? Lol. Have you seen their previous attempt on photo market?
04-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yi? Lol. Have you seen their previous attempt on photo market?
Maybe they would be interested in purchasing Pentax.
04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe they would be interested in purchasing Pentax.
You mean purchase Ricoh theta group and leave Pentax inside Ricoh's group. DLJ could purchase Pentax for the 645z, but they already have Hasselblad, and the K1 would be too heavy to hang under a drone.