Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #106
Pentaxian

If any hesitation, i suggested Ricoh Imaging using kickstarter to test the market + to help financially....
Let's see what eventually happens.

05-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #107
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
If any hesitation, i suggested Ricoh Imaging using kickstarter to test the market + to help financially....
Let's see what eventually happens.
I don't think that Ricoh would like to be associated with kickstarter true their small camera business Ricoh-Imaging. It is also about perception off the health of the bigger company Ricoh. Ricoh is a traded company and investers are more important then a few hundred people wanting this lens.
05-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #108
Pentaxian

May be somebody from this forum who writes Japanese fluently might point out to Tanaka-san that the Pentax Q lenses are manufactured by Nidec Copal (see their website and the page 13 of this brochure) so that he can include this information in his action aiming at bringing the lens to market?
05-16-2017, 04:16 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
At minimum focussing distance, which is around 14 to 15cm, Tanaka says the coverage is around 25 x 36mm. Hence the actual maximum magnification is around 1/4.6 or 0.22x.
Well, that kind of kills the deal for me. Unless the DoF advantage is really major, I'm not seeing much point. If it was a true 1:1, then that would be whole other proposition - getting 12MP (or 20mp with a new body) on a an object that's 7.6mm wide with such a tiny setup, now that would be interesting. But in any case, it seems this is just a prototype lens and the leak's purpose is actually trying to push Ricoh to release the lens? I doubt that it will work...

Last edited by Doundounba; 05-16-2017 at 05:03 AM.
05-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Do you figure / realise the impact of "on-sensor real to reproduction ratio" with 1:1 value on lens optic formula and physical position of the subject with such a system ?
I guess not.

---------- Post added 16-05-17 at 13:10 ----------

May be somebody from this forum who writes Japanese fluently might point out to Tanaka-san that the Pentax Q lenses are manufactured by Nidec Copal (see their website and the page 13 of this brochure) so that he can include this information in his action aiming at bringing the lens to market?
Good point
05-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Do you figure / realise the impact of "on-sensor real to reproduction ratio" with 1:1 value on lens optic formula and physical position of the subject with such a system ?
I guess not.

(...)
With a 1:1 reproduction ratio, the distance between the subject and its image on the sensor is equal to 4f where f is the focal length.

With f=20mm (hoping that, in spite of the internal focusing, the focal length does not diminish too much when close focusing), 4f = 80mm from which you subtract the flange to sensor distance (9.2mm) and the length of the lens (50mm according to Tanaka-san).

The working distance (distance between the subject and the front lens) would therefore be equal to approx. 2cm instead of the 8cm of this lens.
05-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #112
Banned

With a 1:1 reproduction ratio, the distance between the subject and its image on the sensor is equal to 4f where f is the focal length.

With f=20mm (hoping that, in spite of the internal focusing, the focal length does not diminish too much when close focusing), 4f = 80mm from which you subtract the flange to sensor distance (9.2mm) and the length of the lens (50mm according to Tanaka-san).

The working distance (distance between the subject and the front lens) would therefore be equal to approx. 2cm instead of the 8cm of this lens.
So it is more like a close focus lens and not a real macro lens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography#Macro_photography_lenses

Looks like this lens by definition is a real macro lens. If I read it correctly and understood it.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-16-2017 at 02:12 PM.
05-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #113
Pentaxian

With a 1:1 reproduction ratio ...... hoping that, in spite of the internal focusing, the focal length does not diminish too much when close focusing
This... is my point.
1:1 ratio would imply no internal focussing, therefore no fast AF... and no such compactness + probably no lens-hood occurence/room.

To make it simple, get a 35mm Limited + Q/K converter if you really wanna get 1:1 ratio, otherwise there is no point in making another tele-photo "macro" for Q.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 05-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.
05-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #114
Pentaxian

He almost certainly knows anyway.
Indeed, from the start of this story,
I've harbored a suspicion that Copal could actually be the source of his copy.

---------- Post added 05-16-17 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't think that Ricoh would like to be associated with kickstarter true their small camera business Ricoh-Imaging. It is also about perception off the health of the bigger company Ricoh. Ricoh is a traded company and investers are more important then a few hundred people wanting this lens.
If Ricoh abandon the Q system,
I would hope that they would sell the rights for other players to use.
That would be the time for something like a Kickstarter project.
05-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If Ricoh abandon the Q system,
I would hope that they would sell the rights for other players to use.
That would be the time for something like a Kickstarter project.
Yes that would be great if someone would be interested to purchase the Q system. The longer it takes the less important it is since with time people put use of their q stuff into retirement. I don't see it happening, but maybe a Chinese player would love to have the Q system, if cheap to purchase.
05-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes that would be great if someone would be interested to purchase the Q system.
It would really take young, hungry, and nimble management
to help the system realize its inherent "21-st century Leica" potential.
Unfortunately, in many ways, Ricoh seem to have feet of clay.
05-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #117
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It would really take young, hungry, and nimble management
to help the system realize its inherent "21-st century Leica" potential.
Unfortunately, in many ways, Ricoh seem to have feet of clay.
You need a fast moving low cost creative team. That is not so with Ricoh-Imaging and never was with Pentax.

Q would need a model with the new sensor of 20mp. Run on basic Android. Some new lenses. Get a sim-card. It could even run on a bigger sensor, with old lenses using just the smaller part of it.
05-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #118

I want to believe!!! And I'm ready to buy this new lens as soon as it is available
05-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by brink Quote
As a happy Q7 user ( only recently bought the 04 and 05 'toy' lenses) I would aplaud Ricoh if they did launch the 09 lens, even if it would only be a limited 'special edition' batch, say a 1000 units ( just making that number up; no idea if thats viable). as a kind of kiss and farewell for the Q. Remember that Ricoh did limited editions with the Q before.

Of course I hope Ricoh doesnot pull the plug on the Q and acknowledges that for a certain kind of photographer, the Q is quite simply a brilliant thing.
Let us hope not. A 1k run would make the lens unaffordable for many. For the benefit of Q users, recouping a profit over a long run of the macro lens would benefit more of us.