Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Although it's a very good, albeit surprising, news, I will believe it only when actually available on the market. I don't want to look pessismist, but it could only be some kind of engineering sample the guy was able to put its hands on. If Ricoh had even a even a faint idea of releasing it, they would not have removed it from the Q roadmap released last February. It would be a really strange turn of events, having a lens on the roadmap for five years without releasing it, remove the lens from the roadmap when the camera is out of production, and then finally launch the lens of few months after...

04-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd be interested in this lens. Love my Q and Q7!
04-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well let's see how Ricoh management thinks about this. In the end, they decide what Ricoh-Imaging can or can't do.

To me this looks more like a Panic action. For a new lens, there is a need for a new or updated body. Currently there is no camera in production with the 1/1.7" sensor. So ordering it would make it expensive. I don't see this materializing.
Google Image Result for http://i.imgur.com/g6rVSnT.gif

Actually, for a new lens there only need to be existing bodies with which it is compatible. Even if Pentax never produced another APS-C camera, they could still turn out APS-C lenses and there would be plenty of people to buy them for years to come. There are enough Q bodies out there that a run of macro lenses could well find buyers, especially if it were emphasised that in addition to the macro capability the customer is also getting a really fine general-use prime (which if they don't already have one, could be all it takes to push them over the edge into buying).
04-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I'd be interested in this lens. Love my Q and Q7!
Do we know what the focal lengths of this lens would be?

04-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

This lens would really leverage the depth-of-field advantage of the Q system.

It could even create a new whole area of "action macro",
for when the little critters are moving too much to make stacking an option,
or when manual focus with adapted lenses is too slow.

Copal, Ricoh, bring it on!

---------- Post added 04-22-17 at 07:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do we know what the focal lengths of this lens would be?
According to the vanished roadmap entry,
equivalent to about 93 mm in FF terms on a 1/1.7 sensor,
so an actual focal length of around 19 or 20 mm.

Last edited by lytrytyr; 04-22-2017 at 05:37 PM.
04-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My reading of what Tanaka is writing is like this:
- He has got hold of a fully functional prototype of the lens from somewhere overseas. (What's new here is that we now know the lens got to stage of being nearly complete)
- He's very impressed with it and wishes it would be produced.
- He reminds us that nothing has been said officially about the Q or Telephoto Macro being cancelled (although you could certainly interpret the fact that it was removed from the roadmap to be an official indication that it has been cancelled)
- He is trying to persuade Ricoh to come out the with the lens, to turn their negative into a positive

I'm not sure how to interpret this, because he is clearly close to Ricoh sources, so he could be revealing this with Ricoh's blessing. But on the other hand he fancies himself as a bit of a maverick. At CP+ 2016, he was saying some quite cheeky things on the Ricoh stage about how much the K-1 was delayed. He was also repeatedly mentioning the Nikon D810 by name, when he had clearly been told not to. So I can also believe that he agitating by himself because he thinks it might push Ricoh into releasing the lens.

I don't think it is so crazy to continue with the Q. It has been popular here and in some parts of Asia. Remember that Japan and other parts of Asia are very underrepresented on this forum (language issues, probably), so we don't hear their voices as strongly. I also note that the whole set of lenses is still on sale in Japan, even in shops that have no more stock of the Q-S1. Also the Q-S1 is still listed as current at Ricoh's site and some retailers.

As for a sensor, Sony has the IMX204 on their product list, which has not been in any camera to date. It's a 1/1.7 20mp BSI stacked CMOS sensor. That sounds pretty state of the art. They also still list the existing 12mp IMX144. So Ricoh would have an option if they wanted to go upmarket or stay budget.
04-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Let's dream it's a f/2 20mm macro 1:1 lens, and it will come circa 300 USD....

04-23-2017, 12:10 AM - 5 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

I'd pay the price of a DFA100WR for such a lens.

I'm already getting results with an adapted F100/2.8 macro on a dummy adapter and just switched to the original PK>Q adapter.
The native Q macro will make it so much easier to use (hopefully)

04-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As for a sensor, Sony has the IMX204 on their product list, which has not been in any camera to date. It's a 1/1.7 20mp BSI stacked CMOS sensor. That sounds pretty state of the art. They also still list the existing 12mp IMX144. So Ricoh would have an option if they wanted to go upmarket or stay budget.
That is a good thing. Not having a new body is not the way to continue with Q. I think that the new 20mp sensor could make a good step if they also release this new macro.

We will know more the coming week when Ricoh presents it year figures on april 28th.
04-23-2017, 03:16 AM   #25
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have to seriously consider an updated Q body (relegating my original Q to back-up). That new 20MP sensor could be just what I need. And a macro lens would be nice. As said earlier, the Q system suits some special applications. I love the K-3, but the Q system is what I need when I am loaded down with other gear and about 1.5 kg is all I can allow for photo equipment. If you are travelling light, on foot and far off the beaten track, the Q is a great system. Ricoh could do a sales pitch on that line.
04-23-2017, 03:25 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
We will know more the coming week when Ricoh presents it year figures on april 28th.
Do you expect for sale of the camera business to the same Chinese company who bought Hasselblad, they'd buy Pentax 645 in order to sell the new mirrorless MF to the existing 645 user base?
04-23-2017, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Will buy this when it comes to market

I have invested heavily in the Q system, Q Q10 Q7 and all the lenses 01-08. I find I just enjoy using the cameras due to their easy to transport and ease of use. The quality is amazing and if they have already tooled up for production they may as well release it to fill the long promised gap
04-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Do you expect for sale of the camera business to the same Chinese company who bought Hasselblad, they'd buy Pentax 645 in order to sell the new mirrorless MF to the existing 645 user base?
Finding a new owner could be a good thing. I think maybe another Chinese company if interested. There is a market for all products under the ricoh-imaging company, just not the way it is currently run.
04-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

A new sensor sounds like a good idea, and there is no doubt that the Q has been a success in Japan - I see them regularly, along with white K-50s - but having tried and loved the newer versions of the Panasonic Lumix GF series, which are Q sized with bigger sensors and a great selection of lenses, I feel like there might be a reason why that new 1/1.7 sensor hasn't been in a camera yet.

I do understand people's enthusiasm for a 1/1.7 sensor and a macro lens from a DoF perspective, however. But one has to wonder whether this is too slim a market for Ricoh, a company that we know is trying to decide the economical way forward for its imaging business, to pursue. Especially since, given his later tweets, it appears Tanaka wan't testing the lens on Ricoh's behalf.
04-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I can imagine new macro lens as great choice for portraiture with that little cameras. Overall I like the idea of Q system being pocket camera with great capabilities. Certainly I would consider having one myself if released with that new Sony sensor.