Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 04:46 AM - 13 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax Q macro lens coming

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-15-2017 at 11:40 PM.
04-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

So Q is not quite dead yet?
04-22-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No dead in japan
04-22-2017, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Translation:

'The lens I'm currently testing.
It's small, it's light, the AF is fast and the photos are great at both macro and infinity. [he uses a difficult-to-translate superlative, 'tondemonai', to describe it, but it means it's really brilliant]
The specs and stuff will be a little while coming...it's only young, don't give up hope yet. Keep it up Pentax.'

I'm amazed. I really thought the Q was dead, but if this thing turns up I'm dusting off my Q10 and snapping some bugs.

04-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Translation:

'The lens I'm currently testing.
It's small, it's light, the AF is fast and the photos are great at both macro and infinity. [he uses a difficult-to-translate superlative, 'tondemonai', to describe it, but it means it's really brilliant]
The specs and stuff will be a little while coming...it's only young, don't give up hope yet. Keep it up Pentax.'

I'm amazed. I really thought the Q was dead, but if this thing turns up I'm dusting off my Q10 and snapping some bugs.
The two following tweets:

あ、言い忘れましたけど、このレンズ、海外のあるところから借りてるもの。このことはリコーはまったく知らず、です。念のため。

Google translation: Oh, I forgot to mention, but this lens, I borrowed it from a place abroad. Ricoh does not know this at all. Just in case.

Twitter

リコーはQをやめるともTELEPHOTO MACROの開発をやめたと(ひと言)も言っていない。が、残念ながら、状況はなんとなく「マイナス」側の方に向かいつつある。でもここで、皆んなが盛りたてて声援を送れば「プラス」側に反転する可能性はなくもない。だからぼくはあきらめず応援する。

Google translation: Ricoh did not say (quote) that they quit Q and also ceased development of TELEPHOTO MACRO. Unfortunately, the situation is headed towards "minus" side. But here, there is the possibility of reversing to "plus" side if everyone is crowded and cheers. So I will not give up and support you.

Twitter

The author of the tweets, thisistanaka, is Kimio Tanaka, about whom JPT recently said:

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...) it is Kimio Tanaka, who is a well known photographer. He is not exclusively a Pentaxian, but he has often been involved with Ricoh/Pentax events and promotions, such as speaking about the K-1 on the Ricoh stage at CP+ 2016. You can also currently find a user report for the KP by him featured on the Ricoh site - ???????/???????/PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

So this is someone close enough to Ricoh to know what is going on. He could also be a conduit for Ricoh to knowingly "leak" information when required, which is what I suspect may the case here.
04-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
NDA leash seems not so tight on this one
04-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

LOL, it's gonna be hitting the fan at Ricoh in the morning

04-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
NDA leash seems not so tight on this one
"He could also be a conduit for Ricoh to knowingly "leak" information when required, which is what I suspect may the case here."

It seems JPT's sentence applies here too.
04-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Tanaka proved do be quite close to Ricoh stuff, some od first KP sightings was posted by him, that might be true. I hope this indicate some nice announcements soon
04-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

As a happy Q7 user ( only recently bought the 04 and 05 'toy' lenses) I would aplaud Ricoh if they did launch the 09 lens, even if it would only be a limited 'special edition' batch, say a 1000 units ( just making that number up; no idea if thats viable). as a kind of kiss and farewell for the Q. Remember that Ricoh did limited editions with the Q before.

Of course I hope Ricoh doesnot pull the plug on the Q and acknowledges that for a certain kind of photographer, the Q is quite simply a brilliant thing.
04-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
Banned

Well let's see how Ricoh management thinks about this. In the end, they decide what Ricoh-Imaging can or can't do.

To me this looks more like a Panic action. For a new lens, there is a need for a new or updated body. Currently there is no camera in production with the 1/1.7" sensor. So ordering it would make it expensive. I don't see this materializing.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 04-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
04-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well this is an exciting and unexpected development and a little odd given that they just recently pulled it off their official Q road map.

So is this some photo of a pre-production lens from a while back before they pulled the plug. Or have they had a change of heart since pulling it from the road map, or is it a feeler to assess interest???

A new lens and maybe some firmware updates to add new features would certainly help keep the Q community engaged and in the Pentax ecosystem.
04-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do hope this lens makes it. I have been waiting for it for a long time.

It has to be easier than using my lens spacers for macro.

And I also hope they make more than just 1,000 pieces. I am not looking for collector prices!
04-22-2017, 09:44 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

marco? polo!
04-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
No dead in japan
Yeeeeaaaahhhh !