Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I am puzzled. So what Leica uses then? I am often comparing Pentax and Leica because they have similar lineup, across different formats.
According to Wikipedia, Leica's Maestro is based on Milbeaut.

But the performance of the Image Signal Processor Maestro 2 in Leica SL is quite impressive:

Processor: Leica Maestro II series
Internal RAM: 2 GB RAM — 33 DNGs or 30 JPEGs and DNGs

Image Data Format: JPEG, DNG
Colordepth: 14 bit (DNG), 8 bit (JPEG)
JPEG Color Space: Adobe RGB, ECI RGB, sRGB

Motion:
MP4, MOV
4K (4096 × 2160) @ 24 fps; 4K (3840 × 2160) @ 25 and 30 fps;
1080 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps;
720 @ 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120 fps
8 bit (recording); 10 bit (HDMI not recording)
4:2:2/10 bit (HDMI only); 4:2:0/8 bit (recording on SD card)
L-Log selectable

SD Storage: UHS-1 and UHS-2
Drive modes: Continuous fast F (11fps)

Another note is, that Maestro 2 is now ~3 years old already. So what is the issue here?
We need to be certain.
But if true, it means the only technical/parts sourcing for Ricoh would be corresponding sensor. If that's not really problem, then Ricoh is purposely saying no video but that would be VERY stupid.

05-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Maestro II is a bit of a puzzle - the SL has a "Maestro II" and has fairly modern video, but it appears to be an exception - and the "Maestro II" has been around longer than there has been a Milbeaut (or EXPEED or PRIME) that could do 4K. My theory of the moment is that not all "Maestro II"s are 4K-capable, and it is more of a marketing term than a model number - as if all Milbeaut-based PRIMEs were called "PRIME II". The SL came out about the time that the first (and so far only) 4K Milbeaut was announced - maybe Leica pays Socionext enough to be at the very front of the line for new development.
05-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #48
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The Maestro II is a bit of a puzzle - the SL has a "Maestro II" and has fairly modern video, but it appears to be an exception - and the "Maestro II" has been around longer than there has been a Milbeaut (or EXPEED or PRIME) that could do 4K. My theory of the moment is that not all "Maestro II"s are 4K-capable, and it is more of a marketing term than a model number - as if all Milbeaut-based PRIMEs were called "PRIME II". The SL came out about the time that the first (and so far only) 4K Milbeaut was announced - maybe Leica pays Socionext enough to be at the very front of the line for new development.

I have no idea what is going on. But is it is stated many times Maestro is based on Milbeaut, which is also one Pentax uses for PRIME. I believe Leica has a chance, or at least an opportunity to use Panasonic's Venus, which is very cool IPS too, but they do not (except in cameras that are rebadged Panasonics, like rebadged LX100).

I thought someone may have more information ...

---------- Post added 05-17-2017 at 11:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
We need to be certain.
But if true, it means the only technical/parts sourcing for Ricoh would be corresponding sensor. If that's not really problem, then Ricoh is purposely saying no video but that would be VERY stupid.
I thought someone may have more info. I am puzzled, as written above, because Leica seems to have built a strategy to have an access to various Image Processors, and sensors, which is a big advantage!