Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Isn't it that the 4/3s mount is the most adaptable for lenses of another mount? I think it has something to do with short register distance, or some such.

Anyway, that's basing it on the different adapters for 4/3 in Cameraquest, as well as Chinese sellers over eBay.

I think Nikon's the one that's the most limited in terms of adapting lenses from other mounts.

08-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #152
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I think Nikon's the one that's the most limited in terms of adapting lenses from other mounts.
correct, because they have the longest register distance.
08-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #153

After looking for such an adapter, it looks like you can get them for Sony and 4/3rd pretty easily. I don't suspect that Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Leica are all going to go under in the near future... So I will keep on investing time and money in Pentax/Samsung/ k-mount stuff with confidence!
08-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure I will, time to google for it...
Good one

Once again RH is way of the mark. But atleast here his mistakes are fun to read. Guess he is allowed on the site as comic relief.
Actually a famous Pro reviewer was speaking highly of using certain Pentax lenses on his Canon SLRs. Surprised he hasn’t found it, and the likes. But maybe the thought of someone speaking highly of their Pentax legacy glass, and continuing being fond of it, deludes his imagination.

(Hope he doesn’t wake up one day; thinking that he might have spent a wee bit too much time on the Asahi company :ugh

08-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
After looking for such an adapter, it looks like you can get them for Sony and 4/3rd pretty easily. I don't suspect that Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Leica are all going to go under in the near future... So I will keep on investing time and money in Pentax/Samsung/ k-mount stuff with confidence!
Far from it. They may have small market shares, but they're still earning money in general, even considering the economic downturn this year.

I'm with you, I just got a K200D.
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Market Share - when dinosaurs ruled the Earth

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Far from it. They may have small market shares, but they're still earning money in general, even considering the economic downturn this year.

I'm with you, I just got a K200D.
About the time Pentax was at its peak market share, GM, Ford and Chrysler were at their most arrogant, and the Honda Civic (#1 selling vehicle in the US, Y-T-D) was powered by a motorcycle engine.

Honda, Datsun and Toyota (and Volkswagen, before them) built quirky, innovative, better-value-for-the-money products.

Maybe Pentax = Subaru, but that's OK with me, too, as long as we're not GM.
08-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe Pentax = Subaru, but that's OK with me, too, as long as we're not GM.
Something to think about in this car analogy:
Toyota (known for their very dependable cars) is a key shareholder of Subaru...

GM had a stake in Subaru but couldn't figure out a way to make that marriage work and later sold its stake to raise some cash.
08-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Something to think about in this car analogy:
Toyota (known for their very dependable cars) is a key shareholder of Subaru...

GM had a stake in Subaru but couldn't figure out a way to make that marriage work and later sold its stake to raise some cash.
Sorry I was obtuse - that "quirky/dependable" (Pentax/Hoya) marriage, plus value-for-money, was my point; in 2005 Subaru upgraded the line and visibility dramatically, and needed capital to continue to expand market share. GM not only didn't understand what to do with Subaru, they couldn't provide capital to support the recent successes.

Toyota got 15% of Subaru for the bargain price of $800MM.

We're on our second Subaru, third Honda and fourth Pentax.

08-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
I also posted this on DPR:

"And, despite our having an expected loss in OP due to restructuring costs and weak demand for certain models"
Let's see. Pentax has two DSLR models: the K20D and K200D. Weak demand for "certain models" (plural) means weak demands for all of its models. Is that the understatement of the century or what?
08-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #160
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
Let's see. Pentax has two DSLR models: the K20D and K200D. Weak demand for "certain models" (plural) means weak demands for all of its models. Is that the understatement of the century or what?
The way I see it "certain models" means digicams in the first place and probably all of them except for the W series. There is no clear cut separation between p&s business and DSLR business in the "digital imaging" of Hoya.

My 2 eurocents,
Radu

BTW, I asked you on the other forum too, are you a Canon user? Just asking ...
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #161
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote

In my opinion Pentax has too many P&S cameras out there. The only one that really has any appeal to me is the aquatic one. Anyway, I suspect those are the ones that aren't selling well.
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
(snip) Sorry for this rant, but since Mr.Howard at Popular Photography complained about me to Pentax about alleged NDA postings on their forum, I am still not over the fact that Pentax could not stand up against their threats and dropped me for short term gains. (snip)
Ben, your sponsorship with Pentax France (not Pentax) was not dropped due to "alleged NDA postings" in the Popular Photography forum. Instead, the complaint from Popular Photography focused on your use, while claiming Pentex sponsorship, of the Popular Photography forum as an advertising medium, which is a violation of the terms of service of most forums including that of Popular Photography, and more specifically your protracted arguments with Jack Howard (forum adminstrator) regarding that.

And that one incident was not solely the reason for your sponsorship being dropped. Instead, it was the straw which broke the camel's back following earlier complaints of false or misleading information (announced product release dates which never materialized, etc), comments made against members of a certain nationality, misrepresentation (claiming Pentax versus Pentax France sponsorship, etc), disputes with Pentax and non-Pentax users of various forums, and more.

Some also questioned whether you were, at the time, worthy of (known or engaged in business enough to warrant) continued sponsorship, though that was perhaps a wash with supporters on both sides.

stewart
09-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

This could get interesting...
09-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #164
Veteran Member

OH YAY more bitching.
09-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #165
Veteran Member