Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I understand correctly, under Hoya ownership, Pentax had the great idea to reduce their cost of commercial efforts, which did not improve sales volumes, and with the consequence of being tighter and tighter on engineering resources, limiting the release of new products and development of new tech. Management should be praised for this achievement.

BUT, this WG50 is a mirrorless camera with an electronic viewfinder on LCD. It's what people wanted in other threads about Sony.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-25-2017 at 11:31 AM.
05-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
With this, no excuse not to launch Q's 09 TELE MACRO promising lens !
The Q camera is not even available in shops anymore. Say, B&H does not even sell it; all they have available are some lenses and accessories left in stock, I presume.
They may release the lens in Japan, for web ordering overseas?
But I think Q now stands for Quit it.
05-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But I think Q now stands for Quit it.
As opposed to K standing for Kill it?
05-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

There's some really "bizarre" marketing attitude from Ricoh Imaging in this new annoncement, reflecting an actual twofold communication twist...

1/ If you remember the initial intention regarding the Pentax/Ricoh labels split, back in 2012, that was expressly intended to make Ricoh an innovative product line bearer ; as opposed to Pentax, which was to stand for "traditionnal" and less innovative product lines.

2/ as confirmed by the latest official "communiqué", issued by RI to calm renouncement fears and wich is only a few weeks old, the entire RI business was supposed to concentrate on "high-end" products.

This WG-50 launch is therefore a complete "180° turn" as far as those 2 formal intents were concerned.
It doesn't make proof nor bluestamp for the clear and visionnary strategic policy Ricoh was hoped to bring in it's approach within the very challenging imaging business....

05-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would Ricoh introduce a camera that is so far behind in tech compared to Olympus (TG-4 and TG-5). I mean no RAW and slow lens.
05-28-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Why would Ricoh introduce a camera that is so far behind in tech compared to Olympus (TG-4 and TG-5). I mean no RAW and slow lens.
This is not competing at the same price point. The WG-5 is, but Olympus Tough is still a more developed product with RAW support and more photographic tools such as focus bracketing and stacking manual exposure and a better battery life.
05-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It doesn't make proof nor bluestamp for the clear and visionnary strategic policy Ricoh was hoped to bring in it's approach within the very challenging imaging business....
They are emptying any inventory of material they still have, a life cycle extention of the WG50 is just that. Goal = zero inventory. That why they've done an financial impairment and pre-announced the DFA50 and 85 lenses, but not released them. In fact, when Ricoh imaging cleans-up any remaining inventory of old products, design new products but don't release them until decision made. At any time , they may decide, depending on market conditions, to invest more on a new product line, resell the business or stop without having to write off too much assets. Regarding the rumor from the Nikkei saying that Ricoh imaging may drop off their camera business and enter the automotive camera business, it was followed by Ricoh imaging denying that they may stop the camera business but yet confirming their interest in automotive cameras. Basically, the way they denied the rumor actually confirmed that they'll invest less in ILC cameras. Being already slow to release ILC products shows shortage of engineering resources, which could be worse when designing new products for cars.

---------- Post added 28-05-17 at 20:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Try to sell off remaining inventory, whatever quantities of this WG50 they sell, it's always going to be better than Zero. Actually, I'm very sorry to read this announcement, if it means what I think it means.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-28-2017 at 11:03 AM.
05-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Doomed! Pentax is doomed!
How about... they didn't release the new D FA* lenses because they're not done working on them? At least the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is definitely scheduled for market release (note that Hoya stopped releasing any K-mount lens after the deal with Ricoh).

Claiming that Ricoh confirmed they'll invest less in ILC cameras is a lie. Yes, they're interested in things like factory automation and automotive; but that's not even Ricoh Imaging, and it says nothing about Ricoh Imaging.
05-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The worst case scenario would definitely be some kind of "progressive inventories' final clearance" together with sleeping factories.
Because in the end, only a handset of intellectual property assets wouldn't even find easily buyers.
The Samsung track....
05-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

So... how do you do that, by launching new high-end products?
You guys are talking nonsense.
05-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #26
Pentaxian

As from now, it is clear where nonsense comes from.
05-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

You are absolutely right, it's crystal clear!
05-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter what Ricoh does it is always a sure sign that Pentax is doomed.
05-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #29
Pentaxian

"You got away this time, Pentax, but next time you're doomed for sure!"
05-29-2017, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #30

In my opinion, the problem here is that Ricoh simply cannot establish clear communication strategy, thus it generates problems in case of brand recognition and perception in their core userbase market.