Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WG-50 Officially Announced

The Ricoh WG-50 waterproof compact is now official:

It has very similar specs to previous models, with the 16mp sensor and some improvements to waterproofing and scene modes. Built-in Wi-Fi is available. The external design dates all the way back to the Pentax Optio WG-2, which I believe came out in 2012.

More details coming soon on the homepage!

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It has very similar specs to previous models,
Why bother setting a new name? Why not stick to the WG20?
05-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wg-50

A disapointment that they do not offer RAW like the Olympus TG-4 and 5 and the lens is still quite slow.
05-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From dpreview (Ricoh press release)
6. Full HD movie recording for extended shooting of high-quality movies
The WG-50 provides Full HD movie recording employing the H.264 recording format. Users can capture high-quality, extended movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels, 16:9 proportions) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second.

1080p 30fps.

Same old same old

05-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Banned

Isn't this a lower grade of the WG cameras?
Ricoh makes these WG cameras in two models. There is higher model, and that one may be coming soon. if it uses same ISP as Oly, it may have 4K video as the Oly Tough, etc. However, don't forget that these cameras have their wide audience in the industry, and 4K and other geeky stuff is not necessary for all guys in the field. What matters is the zoom range, toughness, stabilisation, weather resistance, and coming very close to samples and to inspect them with those macro lights.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-24-2017 at 05:28 PM.
05-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Isn't this a lower grade of the WG cameras?
Ricoh makes these WG cameras in two models. There is higher model, and that one may be coming soon. if it uses same ISP as Oly, it may have 4K video as the Oly Tough, etc. However, don't forget that these cameras have their wide audience in the industry, and 4K and other geeky stuff is not necessary for all guys in the field. What matters is the zoom range, toughness, stabilisation, weather resistance, and coming very close to samples and to inspect them with those macro lights.
Yes, this is the entry-level model. However, even the "flagship" WG-5 is now almost 4 years old and pretty far from being something like the TG-4.

Looking at that camera, doesn't seem like it has anything in common with Pentax's offering?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
Banned

Yes, this is the entry-level model. However, even the "flagship" WG-5 is now almost 4 years old and pretty far from being something like the TG-4.
Looking at that camera, doesn't seem like it has anything in common with Pentax's offering?
TG4 and TG5 almost seem like a totally different category from Ricoh's. Perhaps Olympus does more in-house work on those? And Ricoh relies on suppliers and just wraps whatever they do in a tough, rubbery skin? Who knows ...

But a tough version of the GR would be welcome by many, I fancy!

05-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
TG4 and TG5 almost seem like a totally different category from Ricoh's. Perhaps Olympus does more in-house work on those? And Ricoh relies on suppliers and just wraps whatever they do in a tough, rubbery skin? Who knows ...
Yeah, there doesn't seem to have been much effort in the WG department since Ricoh took over. Perhaps they're focusing on the best way to turn a profit there and save the money for the DSLR business?

Adam

05-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

05-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

After owning a number of the WP Optio Wxx models., my current bought this year was a Nikon Coolpix 130AW. I got mine for half the price of the Pentax WG, and it has a much faster frame rate and shoots in Raw. I would have loved to have stayed with Pentax. but the price and feature set made that darn near impossible.
05-24-2017, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
mee
Veteran Member

What happened to moving the resources towards the more 'premium' type products? ... this looks like a consumer point and shoot.
05-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

They dont produce this, made in China by a partner
05-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What happened to moving the resources towards the more 'premium' type products? ... this looks like a consumer point and shoot.
I think this is a perfect example of that. There are only about 3 differences between this and the WG-40w, all simple software tweaks. And the WG-40w is not far removed from the Optio WG-2, which came out all the way back in 2012 still under the Pentax brand.

Adam

05-24-2017, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to 2014 everyone, great to have you on board.
05-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Welcome to 2014 everyone, great to have you on board.
With this, no excuse not to launch Q's 09 TELE MACRO promising lens !