Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

The A7ii and K-1 are very different cameras and some factors can't be given a direct score. For example, the K-1 body is a great shape for pairing with a heavy telephoto lens. The A-7ii compactness is great if you are using a pancake lens and want to travel lightly. Which body gets the higher score?

Go ahead and read the reviews then pick the best camera for your use case. Don't worry if others don't bother to read beyond "buy this"; that's their problem.

06-23-2017, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own both cameras and I can see how they would tie. It's all about what the buyer is looking for in a camera. Do you prefer an OVF or an EVF? Do you need amazing build quality or do you prefer smaller and lighter over build quality? Are you shooting landscapes and architectural or will you mostly be shooting people, portraits, or street?

If both cameras served the same needs then I wouldn't have two different systems. Which camera is best depends on the needs of the buyer and both cameras are capable of professional results.
06-23-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Before the K-1 shipped there were people in the "Had one" category. Something I found interesting.
06-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

the overall sentiment between comments is that the K1 is the best camera they regret not buying..so its like "well, for 400 bucks less Ill just buy a D750". The justification for that regret is now Ricoh raised the K1 price over all markets, they say.Also on the lack of lens, so they say.
I dont remember seeing a DDPMetro in PF...

06-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Ever have a class where the grades were on a scale?

Something like
A (4) - 100-90%
B (3) - 89-80%
C (2) - 79-70%
D (1) - 69-60%
F (0) - 59-0%

84% = B
82% = B

So, again, yea it's a tie.
06-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ever have a class where the grades were on a scale?

Something like
A (4) - 100-90%
B (3) - 89-80%
C (2) - 79-70%
D (1) - 69-60%
F (0) - 59-0%

84% = B
82% = B

So, again, yea it's a tie.
?

Contests, like a horse race, for example, don't work that way.

'Winner', 'Runner Up' and 'Last' aren't grades, they're titles.

Last edited by clackers; 06-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One is a mirrorless camera, one is a DSLR. They are also differently purposed — their features are different. Having two as 'an overall great choice' is fine. I wonder how they put K-1 into that category anyway, considering its price is everywhere but in US well above $2000. (And in US it is forcibly priced below $2000, no doubt about it).
So I don't understand this rant; you guys go way overboard, and complain without any second thought.
06-23-2017, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

Sorry guys but I don't get: like it or not DPR is the most read gear review website, they write that the K1 is the best Full Frame DSLR in that price range and you are not happy about it? I am certain the people at Ricoh are happy about that, that's good advertising!

06-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Before the K-1 shipped there were people in the "Had one" category. Something I found interesting.
me too!
06-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Sorry guys but I don't get: like it or not DPR is the most read gear review website, they write that the K1 is the best Full Frame DSLR in that price range and you are not happy about it? I am certain the people at Ricoh are happy about that, that's good advertising!
Yep, break out the champagne, Talgarik, but I do see the OP's point.

Sony should be even happier than us about the writeup of the results.

By Amazon's (I mean DPR's) scoring system (not ours, I might add) the K-1 is the best full frame camera tested, mirrorless or DSLR.

There is no 'tie'.

Last edited by clackers; 06-24-2017 at 01:19 AM.
06-24-2017, 04:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is pretty obvious dpreview is sponsored by Sony for their editorial content.
06-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whenever they bait a Pentax camera there is a completely predictable explosion of clicks and posts by Pentaxians and Pentax antagonists. Advertising runs on clicks. Couple times a year DPR elicits a Click storm. We're so Pavlovian.

Q.E.D.

P.S. I'm shooting for a coffee table book of drunken bicyclists juxtaposed with my running toddler grandchildren. Bought a D500 because K-1 is suitable for neither.
You just wanted to buy a new camera, admit it.

I just completed my coffee table book of Algonquin Park, wildlife and landscapes, and never once thought I needed a different camera system. I do however need a publisher.
06-24-2017, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
People around here b*tch about everything. There is a global conspiracy to bring down the Pentax brand.
06-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
People around here b*tch about everything. There is a global conspiracy to bring down the Pentax brand.
So you guys are OK with 84 to 82 being a tie? Champions of DPR math? Just another chance to bash Pentax users. The complaint here is not about favouring Sony over Pentax, or anything else. It's about some very dubious math.

Just for the record, I find DPR pretty much useless for hard info. Imaging Resources is the place to be. I don't care how popular they are. To be popular, you have to be as dumb as your audience. Any intelligent person knows 84 to 82 isn't a tie. Only the mathematically challenged could read that and not think it odd. Or someone intent on attacking the Pentax community.

If you choose to frame that as Pentax users bitching, well that's just offensive. Not one person spoke about "There is a global conspiracy to bring down the Pentax brand." Why you are still allowed to post on this forum with such offensive content is beyond me. You continuously slander any and all, when at best you are talking about a few.

Slandering folks for complaining about poor math skills publicly displayed for all to see? Really? I gotta say it man, that's low. Nothing but a cheap shot.

Just goes to show, some people are OK with bad math, as long as Pentax gets the short end of the stick. Say something nice about Pentax though and they are all over it. The "bitchin" goes the one way as much as it does the other.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2017 at 07:07 AM.
06-24-2017, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you guys are OK with 84 to 82 being a tie? Champions of DPR math? Just another chance to bash Pentax users.
Can you show me where they say the methodology is based solely on the numerical score of the original review?

The Nikon D610 had a score of 89 and it didn't win.

Last edited by Winder; 06-24-2017 at 07:08 AM.