Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Final score - Pentax 84, Sony 82. So WE'RE TIED??!!?!

Isn't that great news? Isn't it?

DPooPoo strikes again; we can seem to win around there even when we win.

Congratulations on a GREAT camera, Pentax. Even if the game is rigged.

84 = 82...?

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-27-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Potty mouth.
06-23-2017, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does this come with context?
06-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just DPreview as usual...
2017 Roundup: $1200-2000 interchangeable lens cameras: full-frame: Digital Photography Review
06-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe they've concluded that 2% isn't sufficient to declare a winner?
With that said, I'd question if the conclusion is specific to Pentax or whether they've done this in the past with others.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.
06-23-2017, 02:32 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know how to say this politely, but, those people are dumber than doo doo. The amazing thing is, they can print something like that without someone doing a double take. Be glad it wasn't a tie. They would have declared Sony the winner.
06-23-2017, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Just made the mistake of trying to read the Comments under that article.

Ghastly quality, not far removed from Youtube 'discussions'. A reminder to me of how bad DPR is.

84% is a tie with 82%?

Please don't let these guys score a sports event or manage money.
06-23-2017, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Isn't that great news? Isn't it?
DPooPoo strikes again; we can seem to win around there even when we win.

Congratulations on a GREAT camera, Pentax. Even if the game is rigged.

84 = 82...?

Cheers,
Cameron
Thanks for posting that @Cambo. Now I'm off to take a shower.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-27-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: OP post edited.
06-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think they are just paid, but without any evidence. They don't like the Pentax system because they never used it and they are choosing the pros and cons emotionally. (More than me ) Anyway they have the best studio image comparisation tool, I like that. I think The Camera Store is the most honest independent reviewer.
06-23-2017, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #9

If a 2% difference is not statistically significant or within the margin of error then yes 82% vs 84% can be considered a tie.
06-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's a bunch of personal evaluations converted into numbers, so statistics really has no part in their system.
And the numbers between levels of cameras aren't comparable either, don't even try.. and oh yeah they decide which level the camera fits into
06-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there must be some clown there who likes to bait Pentax users. Yes, why would you call 84-82 a tie? And when you present them visually, why would you place the image of the 82%camera above the 84% camera? Anyone half-way competent at presenting information knows that "first" grabs priority in attention. But there are lots of reasons why an organisation might choose to bias its presentations (and maybe its conclusions). Not much can be done about that but there is a good story in the stats lower down the page (I own it, I want it, I had it):
308 people own the K-1, 656 want one, and only 51 had one.
973 people own the Alpha 7 ii, only 602 want one, and 224 had one.
So about 14% of those who own or once owned a K-1 no longer own it but nearly 19% of those who own or once owned an Alpha 7 ii no longer own it. Add to that the fact that more people want a K-1 than want an Alpha 7 ii and you may get a better idea of what users have experienced and what they think. Not everyone gets fooled.
06-23-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I think there must be some clown there who likes to bait Pentax users. Yes, why would you call 84-82 a tie? And when you present them visually, why would you place the image of the 82%camera above the 84% camera? Anyone half-way competent at presenting information knows that "first" grabs priority in attention. But there are lots of reasons why an organisation might choose to bias its presentations (and maybe its conclusions).
I'm not so benevolent. I think it's intentional. They get more money from Sony users. Some organizations are simply there to support the people who pay for them. People who don't pay them don't get any love. Just because places like Imaging Resources bend over backwards to eliminate bias doesn't mean DPR or anyone else has to. It's all about the integrity of the individuals involved. Apparently DPR has none.

At this point I can hear the excuses they might offer. They would all be nonsense.

They don't care if the Pentax community thinks they are biased, as long as the bigger Sony community sees them as "on their side."
06-23-2017, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whenever they bait a Pentax camera there is a completely predictable explosion of clicks and posts by Pentaxians and Pentax antagonists. Advertising runs on clicks. Couple times a year DPR elicits a Click storm. We're so Pavlovian.

Q.E.D.

P.S. I'm shooting for a coffee table book of drunken bicyclists juxtaposed with my running toddler grandchildren. Bought a D500 because K-1 is suitable for neither.
06-23-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

To be honest, I think that's one of the more fair (fairer?) things I've read involving Pentax on Dpreview. The full size DSLR Pentax and compact mirrorless Sony actually do fulfull two different roles, and it actually contrasts them a little without going into full review level detail. They do seem a little critical of the Pentax in terms of focusing on moving objects and its video limitations, but so are many others, and I have no firsthand experience with the K-1 to judge for myself.
06-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If a 2% difference is not statistically significant or within the margin of error then yes 82% vs 84% can be considered a tie.
The size of the sample can't be six thousand voters, it'll be one or more of the DPR staff, right?

So it's like a panel of judges in a singing contest, or the jury in a court case - there might be variation in opinion polls before the event, but there shouldn't be a discrepancy in the actual tally on the day!

This decision to redefine what a 'tie' is diminishes the winner's achievement.

Why not more conventionally say, "The Pentax is the best camera, with an honourable mention to the Sony"?

Last edited by clackers; 06-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.