Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Of course it is subjective. It you are looking for a FF camera for under $2,000 and you need good video features then the A7II is the better choice. If you are going to architecture or astro then the K-1 is the better choice. Which camera is best is going to be subjective based on the needs and preferences of the buyer. Its like asking for the best lens. There is no one "best" lens. It depends on what you are planning on shooting.

The K-1 tied for top camera and you guys are still complaining.
They couldn't have written, "The two cameras are so close any decision must be subjective. In the end we feel the K-1 is the winner by a small margin." ??*

* No, they couldn't. Because Pentax.

06-24-2017, 05:11 PM - 6 Likes   #47
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They couldn't have written, "The two cameras are so close any decision must be subjective. In the end we feel the K-1 is the winner by a small margin." ??*

Perhaps. But what does it really matter? They gave the K-1 a nod that's good enough... next topic. By continuing to nitpick and whine about this the community is giving credence to the generalization that Pentax users are whiny butts.
06-24-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Of course it is subjective.
Then why have a percentage rating?

I already know the answer, Winder, but I just want to hear your take on it.

06-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What was the 645Z score?

06-24-2017, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

This isn't science. There's a lot of subjectivity in those scores, enough that I'd consider 82% within the margin of error to 84%
06-24-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Do you like what you have? I know I like what I have.and that's what's important. Let them say what they want to say and just enjoy your gears. What they say won't reduce the performance of your gears.
06-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
However, the fact that a good result for the under-underdog seems to have largely been overlooked in the process, or at least not much commented on, is a little baffling, even bemusing.
Comparing and A7ii to a K-1 is ridiculous. It barely comes equal or slightly better than a K-3 in terms of IQ and resolution.

Now if it's about which camera is be best Video recorder under $2000, that's a different question.

06-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I do not think it matters much, and I really doubt anyone in the market for a ~$2000 camera makes decision based on DPR roundups, I guess the scores and the recommendations are not exactly the same. If it was, they would not write the roundup and would just list the cameras in each category, sorted based on the review scores. I guess at these roundups they compare all the cameras of the year in a bigger picture and provide a comparison/conclusion which is better. The reviews are written more individually and may compare to the existing models at the time of review.
Not that I agree with DPR selections, but I guess that's the case. Hence, even 80 and 85 may both be recommended for different users.

As a side note, it's interesting how many Sony cameras exist in the final lists. If we don't believe it a Sony propaganda, that means Sony is a much more serious player each year.
06-24-2017, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
As a side note, it's interesting how many Sony cameras exist in the final lists. If we don't believe it a Sony propaganda, that means Sony is a much more serious player each year.
That is right. Sony advances faster than any other player in his industry. While Canon was riding one 6D, Sony has introduced several mirrorless FF cameras in the same lifespan of that 6D. People may hate Sony for whatever reason, but one day they will make many things right in one or two products, and that will be a very bad day for their competitors.

---------- Post added 06-25-2017 at 01:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Comparing and A7ii to a K-1 is ridiculous. It barely comes equal or slightly better than a K-3 in terms of IQ and resolution.Now if it's about which camera is be best Video recorder under $2000, that's a different question.
There is no point in rant; A7II is the FF camera, and the price was right. K3 is not an FF. A7II records images. It records videos too and can be called a camera. K-1 too is an FF camera. DPR gave options, for people to think about. It is fair.

---------- Post added 06-25-2017 at 01:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No, but because K-1 is a DSLR. Although some DPR reviewers love using Pentax and cameras with pentaprism, (and that is true), Sony A7II is a mirrorless FF camera, carefully positioned by Sony to disrupt that FF segment with very good price. Ricoh Imaging too positioned K-1 to disrupt particular DSLR segment, with low price and compromised performance in some areas. So we can call it quits. Both Sony and Ricoh Imaging cheated, also both delivered.
06-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #55
Forum Member

No one’s mentioned yet what I find most irritating about the article.

Though declaring it a tie when the Pentax was ahead by 2% and then putting the photo of the Sony camera above the K-1 is annoying, I don’t find it as damaging or as misleading as this statement in the article: “If you're starting from scratch, be aware that there are just a few modern Pentax full-frame lenses, and they're bothheavy and expensive.

At the time this article was written there are: 150 – 450mm, 70 – 200mm, 24 – 70mm, 15 – 30mm and the 28 – 105mm
yet they say, “they’re both heavy and expensive” both? Since when is 5 referred to as both? Both implies 2 they should say all.

Furthermore I don’t believe anyone would consider the 28 – 105mm, “heavy and expensive”.
(Not to mention if I wished to include the 50mm macro or possibly the 100mm macro as modern lenses, [though I understand the design for the 100mm macro is a little on the order side]).

Someone new to Pentax who is reading this article would assume that there only 2 modern lenses currently available that are both expensive, not 5 lenses with one cheap lens amongst them.

This article definitely does a disservice to Pentax by misrepresenting the available lens selection.

Declaring a tie when the Pentax has a higher score is just the cherry on top.
06-25-2017, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"both" means all five lenses have the same two qualities - each one is both heavy and expensive.
06-25-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
(...)
(Not to mention if I wished to include the 50mm macro or possibly the 100mm macro as modern lenses, [though I understand the design for the 100mm macro is a little on the order side]).

(...).
50 mm f/2,8 macro: 1988 for the design, 2004 for the current model.
100 mm f/2,8 macro: 1987 for the design, 2009 for the current model.

The design of these two lenses is roughly 30 years old. The three FA Limited lenses dates back to 1997 (43mm), 1999 (77mm) and 2001 (31mm) respectively.
06-25-2017, 03:56 AM   #58
Pentaxian

The 100mm macro's design was updated, with the first D FA version.
06-25-2017, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

82% and 84% are most definitely a tie... a tie for how much shame they brought their Japanese parent companies. Anything below 90% is a fail, after that you're just fighting for who the best loser is and no one keeps track of that. Both should be recalled, and apologies should be issued to DPR for having to waste their time reviewing these cameras.
06-25-2017, 04:43 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Anything below 90% is a fail

Yeah there are only three camera's that are not a failure
Reviews and previews: Digital Photography Review