Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2017, 11:58 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

What a small minority of amateur reviewers cry for is the "green mode" of focussing: point your expensive toy roughly into the direction where a subject might be and the camera shall then identify and follow it. That is "tracking" : following the subject's movements around the frame in green mode where the button pusher is unable to do this himself.

You only need any sort of software automated tracking where there is no proper framing of the subject. This qualifies as snapshots.

While green mode is a very comfortable thing it is in no way a requirement for good images. It just levels the field between competent photographers and incompetent button pushers.

This all is aiming at putting a 360 degree camera on your helmet, push the button and let the thingy do its work.

Remember the NX1 even was able to do the button pushing all by itself for the scene types it had apps for.

This all shifts the old paradigm from "the photographer takes the picture" and is the most important part of creation to "the camara takes the picture" and the button pusher is a replaceable tool.

However in Pentax land the one big differentiator seems to be just the physical skill of the photographer in keeping the subject in the frame where it should be (under the chosen AF point). Results are pretty good if you manage to track the subject properly using your arms.
It can be learned and some will and some wont.

I can learn to play the piano or I can buy an MP3 file to get the same music out. The MP3 file gives you a 100% hit rate at getting the perfect tune, while the number of keepers with manual playing the piano will be much lower.

I fully understand why certain types of people will want the Mp3 file, the green mode and the full software tracking. It's much easier. No effort. No sweat. No learning requirements. Push the button and done.
But please don't do as if this is a "must have" or "superior". The proof is in the individual nice image - which can be taken both ways.

The only thing that can be said is that those people who "require" it = depend on it are much inferior. I certainly wouldn't ever hire a "pro" photographer who I have spotted lamenting about too few automation functions of his equipment.

Normhead obviously has learned the skill and doesn't require a green mode to do the things for him.

06-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you Clackers and Normhead. I'll look into the threads you gave. I'm not that ecstatic with my results. Maybe it's my lenses. I use the 18-135 and the 55-300 WR. I get some good shots at times with the 18-135. But the 55-300 struggles a lot. Too bad, Pentax hasn't come up with the software update on the k-5II. I'd like to try the 55-300 PLM on my k-5II. I also haven't upgraded my K-3II software so, I'm a bit stuck with the WR version.
06-28-2017, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I believe you have to have sharp photos of birds riding bicycles.
You have now given me a new gold standard... Now where can I find those very talented birds to practice on? The best I've ever seen is a dog on a tricycle!
06-28-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DPR's dream team (cough) reviewers Rose, Rishi and Butler still haven't understood that, as they say of the A9:

"Unfortunately, if you need absolute reliability and you simply cannot miss a shot during a crucial play, we still have to recommend using a flexible spot (zone), following your subject yourself, and therefore steering clear of subject tracking. All manufacturers have been making impressive strides in their subject tracking abilities, but as with the Canon EOS-1D X II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 II and even Nikon's D5, subject tracking on the a9 still isn't so reliable as to be counted on 100% of the time if you just need to get the shot."
But they are not as pleasant when they talk about the K-1...

06-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
But they are not as pleasant when they talk about the K-1...
Imagine Resources knows how to handle this. They just say, "we don't have a test for tracking.
06-28-2017, 04:11 PM - 3 Likes   #111

Apropos of nothing, I feel Adam should give out an award for users that get the most "ignores" while not actually getting banned -- we seem to have a couple folks in serious need of some validation and attention. There there. Have a virtual hug. You know who you are.

As to the topic of this thread, DPR seems to be going downhill and they don't seem to care. A lot of websites are about clickbait and made-up controversy these days, and DPR is no different. Some of the newer staff seem decent, but overall, you get the sense of a pretty jaded bunch who get all caught up in the high turnover cycle of consumer electronics and whatever hype there is about the so-called latest and greatest. Meanwhile they lack the perspective and maturity to see that this can't go on forever.

Last edited by NotSteve; 06-28-2017 at 08:04 PM.
06-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Thank you Clackers and Normhead. I'll look into the threads you gave. I'm not that ecstatic with my results. Maybe it's my lenses. I use the 18-135 and the 55-300 WR. I get some good shots at times with the 18-135. But the 55-300 struggles a lot. .
As you say, lenses are very important, Totsmuyco. The Canon 85mm will be a notoriously slow lens even if you put it on a 1D X.

As I understand it, the Pentax 18-135 and 55-300 PLM are not slow focusing.

I can speak for the previous version of the 55-300 - I have shot runners with it on a K-x, but only to prove a point. It is f5.8 at the long end, and the AF system is rated only to f5.6, so I prefer my Tamron 70-200 for sports where possible. I have a 1.4TC in the bag if needed.

Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2017 at 05:11 PM.
06-28-2017, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #113
bvg
Veteran Member

We are the champions, my friend SONY!
06-29-2017, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As you say, lenses are very important, Totsmuyco. The Canon 85mm will be a notoriously slow lens even if you put it on a 1D X.

As I understand it, the Pentax 18-135 and 55-300 PLM are not slow focusing.

I can speak for the previous version of the 55-300 - I have shot runners with it on a K-x, but only to prove a point. It is f5.8 at the long end, and the AF system is rated only to f5.6, so I prefer my Tamron 70-200 for sports where possible. I have a 1.4TC in the bag if needed.
I guess I have a lot of learning and practice to do. Thanks again
06-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #115
Pentaxian

The biggest thing of moving objects is keeping the moving object stable enough in the viewfinder to lock initial focus. It's doesn't matter what you shoot, that means keeping your subject so it appears to be mobile in the viewfinder until you have a focus lock. It really doesn't matter what you shoot, that's going to be around a quarter second. Once the camera is locked on, things are easier.
06-30-2017, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Isn't that great news? Isn't it?

DPooPoo strikes again; we can seem to win around there even when we win.

Congratulations on a GREAT camera, Pentax. Even if the game is rigged.

84 = 82...?

Cheers,
Cameron
FAKE NEWZ!! FAKE NEWZ!! (oh, wrong website, sorry....)
07-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Tribalism is strong in photography world