Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #106
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You're not asking because you've made up a scenario in which you're "right" and you're sticking with it no matter what. No offense, but you're not interested in finding the truth, or in a relevant discussion... only in being "right".

Losing points again with the invalid analogy. Are you trying to convince me that you never even read those interviews?

That's the thing, while not giving information normally often seen in official announcements/press releases, their responses are often not vague, and on a very specific question. And where they are, you can learn something from that, too.
The best thing I've learned was the existence of the FF project, by the end of 2012 and restated a few times until officially announced. They said: "First, we are discussing development of FF SLR. We are touching base with a sensor manufacturer and proceeding the process of development towards production." - is that vague?
DC Watch: Interview with Toshiyuki Kitazawa, Pentax's Head of Business Development - PentaxForums.com

FTR, I never claimed to be "trying to deduce product releases". I'm only saying I'm quite good at making the difference between yes and no.
I know it's pointless, I said so myself. This is for the benefit of people who might like to stay informed.

I don't know why you are so emphatically opposed to differing views and so passionate about Pentax as a whole. While I enjoy Pentax products (and own quite a number of them) and discussing them, they are just a product brand to me. We could be discussing any camera brand or just photography in general and I'd be here, because I generally appreciate the community more.

Your example is not vague, but that is not a common answer given by them. Most of the responses I'm referring to are the short, terse 'we are researching' or 'we are looking into it' type comments.

Again, if you think you can discern a 'yes' and a 'no' from those kind of vague statements by Ricoh reps, meant to be vague, then feel free to continue on. Welcome to a free society where people are allowed to have differing views on subjects. We don't have to agree. In my 'scenario' I am correct. While, in your 'scenario' you are correct. The end.

07-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #107
mee
Veteran Member

Btw I'm done with this part of the convo - No one wants to read pages of this stuff, I am sensing it is getting a bit unfriendly, and we are at an impasse .. if you want to respond that is your call, but I'm done.
07-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #108
Pentaxian

I'm most passionate about the truth. I'm also passionate about our right to make a choice and be happy with it, but that's for the "A9 blah blah DSLRs are dead" thread
And you're passionate enough to continue this quite pointless exchange By the way, you're losing points again by starting to discuss the person.

We're not discussing this on equal grounds, mee. I'm offering my experience, examples, arguments to those interested; you... you've made a point in ignoring anything I might possibly say? I'm sorry, but if you can't make the difference, if you can't read anything of value in those interviews, you should accept that others might.

Perhaps it would matter less to me if Adam&co wouldn't put so much effort in those interviews. Just sayin'.
07-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the survey....and asked for a full frame mirrorless with a new mount.

I really did btw.

07-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
I did the survey....and asked for a full frame mirrorless with a new mount.

I really did btw.

It would be a long while before you see any lenses for that new mount with how things are.

07-05-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

Actions speak louder than words...this was taken from an interview last year at photokina:

"Mr. Saiki seems to be in a bullish mood, buoyed by the market response to the K-1. ‘The reaction to the K-1 has been beyond our expectations,’ he says: ‘not only in terms of sales but also in the words we’re hearing from users. We believe we can revive Pentax as the leading company for DSLRs. We’ve had lots of feedback from non Pentax users, who wanted to be able to enjoy our FA Limited lenses. That’s nice feedback to have.’ "

That was last September. Since then they have released precisely 0 lenses for APS-C and for full frame.
Any momentum they may have had with the K-1 release has certainly slowed.
07-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
It would be a long while before you see any lenses for that new mount with how things are.
My full recommendation was a full frame mirrorless with a new mount and a full feature K-mount to new mount adapter.

Imagine a Sony A7r ii body, k-1 feature set and the fa limiteds.

...and yes the rate at which pentax has bee releasing new full frame glass, the new mount would never get off the ground.

07-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #113
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Actions speak louder than words...this was taken from an interview last year at photokina:

"Mr. Saiki seems to be in a bullish mood, buoyed by the market response to the K-1. ‘The reaction to the K-1 has been beyond our expectations,’ he says: ‘not only in terms of sales but also in the words we’re hearing from users. We believe we can revive Pentax as the leading company for DSLRs. We’ve had lots of feedback from non Pentax users, who wanted to be able to enjoy our FA Limited lenses. That’s nice feedback to have.’ "

That was last September. Since then they have released precisely 0 lenses for APS-C and for full frame.
Any momentum they may have had with the K-1 release has certainly slowed.
I think the main issue is these lenses take a long amount of time (1-2 years each) to develop and, at least how I read the quote, it seems they were caught off guard with the level of success they had with the K-1. So we very well may be another 12-18 months away before seeing a lot of these lenses they want to release. They are on a tortoise pace while we want them to be on a hares pace.

Then again, they've also stated 4 years ago that they wanted to be number one in autofocus.

"
The new SAFOX X autofocus system has improved low-light performance. It rivals some of the most advanced AF systems on the market today in terms of low-light accuracy. However, it still needs improvement in terms of continuous tracking mode. Is this an area that you're looking to refine in the next advanced Pentax DSLR?

In regard to the autofocus of the K-5 II, we developed it aiming to be number one in high sensitivity, but right now in the development team we are looking to become number one in autofocus.
"

So far that hasn't occurred either.
07-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax needs to partner with Sigma. Pentax supplies the new KAF4 mount with hardware, Sigma supplies the lens. With Pentax using focusing motors, this would be possible as Sigma has lenese in teh K mount with their HSM motors.
DSLR Lenses, SLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Car manufacturers work with rivals: Subaru made a model for Saab, Toyota for GM, Nissan for Ford,Mitsbishi for Chrysler. So why not Pentax and Sigma. Maybe Sigma needs to do with Pentax lenses like the model train industry: announce new model, you have to pre-order. If enough are received, the model comes to market. If not, no model.
07-05-2017, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joehenryd Quote
Pentax needs to partner with Sigma. Pentax supplies the new KAF4 mount with hardware, Sigma supplies the lens.
NO, definitely NO!!!

I would depart from Pentax if they partner with Sigma, I would not do a Sigma anything, and the lenses, really? Pentax lenses are way better than Sigma. Full stop.
07-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Improved 16-50 on my wish list.
07-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Improved 16-50 on my wish list.
yes me too, and maybe the 50-135 also, both of them are on my radar very soon, waiting a little bit for the next Pentax announcement, see what comes.
07-06-2017, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
"
The new SAFOX X autofocus system has improved low-light performance. It rivals some of the most advanced AF systems on the market today in terms of low-light accuracy. However, it still needs improvement in terms of continuous tracking mode. Is this an area that you're looking to refine in the next advanced Pentax DSLR?

In regard to the autofocus of the K-5 II, we developed it aiming to be number one in high sensitivity, but right now in the development team we are looking to become number one in autofocus.
"

So far that hasn't occurred either.
Those are quite vague if not empty words, if that was not obvious to you.
But then you take it is if they promised they would be indeed 1st in AF in x numbers of years.

You interpretation seems very bold to me but IMO the root of the problem is elsewhere: way of most Japanese companies communicates and the way european guys and american guys do communicate.
IMO, europeans are more straight to the point, no trying to be overly polite (which most japanese certainly do).
Then most americans are VERY straight to the point, more like "he said so he has to". This may actually be seen as rude even by europeans (any of course japanese).
We just communicate differently and that's fine as long as we do not expect others do so as we're used to.

But I understand the frustration from japanese way of communicating. And this doesn't change anything as for products not being launched.
07-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Yes, that was perhaps the most boastful claim I've ever heard from them.
They were "number one in high sensitivity" for a while; no idea what they meant by "number one in autofocus". The K-3's SAFOX 11 clearly wasn't enough.
07-06-2017, 02:46 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Maybe they meant Pentax to be number one in fora discussions about it's autofocus performance! That has been already achieved!
Closed Thread