Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 08:44 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka moving and expanded

Ricoh announced on Friday that Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka will be moving to a new location in the OMM building near Tenmabashi station. As far as I know, Ricoh has three such locations in Japan - two in Tokyo and one in Osaka.

There will be four sections:
- Showroom - allowing visitors to get their hands on each of the products
- Photo Salon - a space for the photo school events and seminars
- Gallery - Twice the size of the previous Osaka space
- Service Counter

The images shown look like a big upgrade over the existing showrooms.

I don't know Osaka very well, but the press release says thet the new location has more traffic than the previous one. Perhaps someone with local knowledge could comment on that.

Other details are:
- Opening Date: September 9
- Opening Hours 10:30-18:30, every day except Tuesdays (the old one was closed on Sundays, apparently)
- Address: 〒540-6591 Osaka, Chuo-ku, Otemachi 1-7-31, OMM Building 1F
- Access: Tenmabashi Station on the subway or Keihan Line allows direct access into the B2F of the OMM Building

I think this is a very good improvement. It looks a lot smarter than the ones in Tokyo from the renders. I don't know how many members pass through Osaka, but it could be worth a visit. I hope that the Tokyo sites get a similar make-over, however, from my point of view the current Shinjuku location is very convenient, being on my commute home, so I'd rather they didn't relocate it.

The other thing that strikes me is that this would seem like a very strange investment to give the green light to if Ricoh was really considering backing away from consumer camera sales. Ricoh has also revamped some of their online store pages, so I think they are pushing direct sales a bit more.

07-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperitif bar?
And an old Ricoh's monster copier, chassis only, and tons of paper, so that the kids than play inside?
Speaking of that, a kiddie pool too, with squeaky toys and lots of WG50s.
07-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- Opening Hours 10:30-18:30, every day except Tuesdays (the old one was closed on Sundays, apparently)
Wow. Never been in Japan. Someday, it may be an opportunity to stop by visit their showrooms.
07-14-2017, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

If the renders are typical of what they have in plans, this looks like it would be a Leica-sh move towards photography tastes..
I think I said it before, and another forum member agreed, that this is the stance that Pentax wants to entrench..classy no frills high value stuff

---------- Post added 07-14-17 at 10:21 PM ----------

Google Image Result for https://www.slrlounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/leica-kyoto-japan-store-camera-photography-3.jpg
something like this..Leica Store, Kyoto

07-15-2017, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Google Image Result for https://www.slrlounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/leica-kyoto-japan-store...tography-3.jpg something like this..Leica Store, Kyoto
Yes. The concept of Apple Stores and Nespesso stores. That could work, one just need to have the premium products at premium price to come along with the brand image.
07-15-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Banned

That looks great and luxueus.
07-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, that's great!
I hope they'll open a few such centers outside Japan, too.

07-15-2017, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless sales are greatly improved outside Japan, I can't see this sort of thing being replicated there in the immediate future. Nonetheless, it's an encouraging sign that they're doing this in Japan, as it shows a commitment not only to stay in the camera market but to position itself within the market as a maker of artistic instruments. That might sound a bit lofty to some, but it indicates ambition. Now, we just have to see product development to match it.
07-15-2017, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What! Moving! I thought they were going out of business!
07-15-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Reading this interesting piece of news (thank you JPT), it seems Ricoh Imaging are more and more following the Leica path.

Opening dedicated stores was inspired to Leica by their former shareholder, Hermès, the luxury group.

---------- Post added 07-15-2017 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What! Moving! I thought they were going out of business!
Ricoh Imaging (this is a Ricoh Imaging Square)? Definitely not.
07-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it is broadly in part of the city that would be frequented by visitors. Near Osaka Castle and not too far from the Dotonbori restaurant area.
07-15-2017, 05:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
it seems Ricoh Imaging are more and more following the Leica path. Opening dedicated stores was inspired to Leica by their former shareholder, Hermès, the luxury group.
Yes. Pentax product aren't (yet?) positioned like Leica products. Would this come with a new mount?...
07-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would say that they are positioning Pentax since the K5..camera bodies retaining the classic boxy form while Nikon and Canon made ocarinas..

---------- Post added 07-15-17 at 05:55 AM ----------

Look up the Nikon showroom at Japan..huge difference, it looks like your typical Canal Street camera shop
07-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes. Pentax product aren't (yet?) positioned like Leica products. Would this come with a new mount?...
With one new lens every year or so?

…but you're just being provocative.

Seriously, Leica has just released the third iteration of its T-mount mirrorless APS-C body, with 6 dedicated lenses, most costing more than the body, and an (expensive) adapter to add M-mount lenses. Somehow, I can't see Pentax following suit, unless, I suppose, it were to put out a range of modified DA lenses, not unlike the FA43 Pentax-L. Hmm – there's a thought.
07-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

RICOH Imaging Square GINZA | Community | RICOH IMAGING

As far as I can see this is not a new development. The Shinjuku square has google ratings as far as 5 years ago. To say Ricoh will move to Leica as a brand is a bit premature and not really founded on anything. They are a value company, not a premium company.

It is good news Ricoh is investing in presentation though. It shows commitment.