Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Maybe (probably) it's just the wording, or perhaps translated Japanese which is often a lot more subtle in expressions....but as mentioned, if one looks at what they literally say, they only say that they had a smaller profit and sales in cameras (due to fewer sold), not a loss, while they do "dare" to use the word "loss" in the end for the segment, so shouldn't they have used the word loss for cameras as well if that was the case? They do say that fewer cameras were sold, but still, that isn't necessary a loss, just worse than last year.

(But I agree it doesn't sound very good, but still, I'd say another wording should (would?) have been used if there was a loss in cameras)

And also as mentioned, there are a lot more parts in the others now so as usual it's hard to really say anything definite about the camera part, other than that there were fewer cameras sold.

Edit: As for the "offset" phrasing, it could be that the sales were offset (say optical had +15% sales and camera had -10% sales, ending up on +5% sales)...but it could also be as in offset profit/loss...but again I think they shouldn't call it "decrease in income and profit in the camera business" then.

07-28-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Edit: As for the "offset" phrasing, it could be that the sales were offset (say optical had +15% sales and camera had -10% sales, ending up on +5% sales)...but it could also be as in offset profit/loss...but again I think they shouldn't call it "decrease in income and profit in the camera business" then.
They used these words before. They used it to say that a profit was offset due to the yen-dollar exchange. Meaning the profit and growth in USD was offset into a loss in Yen. A decrease in profit is also to be read as an increase in loss.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-28-2017 at 06:33 AM.
07-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They used these words before. They used it to say that a profit was offset due to the yen-dollar exchange. Meaning the profit and growth in USD was offset into a loss in Yen. A decrease in income is also to be read as an increase in loss.
Ok, I see... haven't followed their financials over time but if they've used that phrase like that before I agree it's probably like that now as well.

I wish they would be more straightforward in their wording then, "loss" is a shorter word than "decrease in profit" =), and says something about above/below 0, unless they call "profit"= "negative loss" as well..
07-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Ok, I see... haven't followed their financials over time but if they've used that phrase like that before I agree it's probably like that now as well.

I wish they would be more straightforward in their wording then, "loss" is a shorter word than "decrease in profit" =), and says something about above/below 0, unless they call "profit"= "negative loss" as well..
I meant to say profit....

07-28-2017, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
without a mirrorless camera to add revenue it's hard to see how Pentax is different from Nikon, other than scale.
07-28-2017, 12:43 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Everything is too opaque and interlocking to tell, and the translation does not help.

I'm not surprised there's a lull. Those who would buy a K-1 or KP have now got them, quite a few of those who went full frame have wallet fatigue while they're saving up for D-FA f/2.8 trinity glass (if they want it), and everyone else who wants a high end Pentax DSLR is holding off to see what the K3-ii successor is going to be like.
07-28-2017, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #22
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
without a mirrorless camera to add revenue it's hard to see how Pentax is different from Nikon, other than scale.
And as soon as Pentax offers one, so will Nikon.. if not Nikon sooner.. so they'll be back to square one in that view. Nikon is already reported to be launching a mirrorless body late this or sometime next year.

The problem is new products cost new money. And RI already seem stretched to support what they have.. so I don't see mirrorless being on their radar as a priority at this point.

07-28-2017, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Everything is too opaque and interlocking to tell, and the translation does not help.

I'm not surprised there's a lull. Those who would buy a K-1 or KP have now got them, quite a few of those who went full frame have wallet fatigue while they're saving up for D-FA f/2.8 trinity glass (if they want it), and everyone else who wants a high end Pentax DSLR is holding off to see what the K3-ii successor is going to be like.
Then there are us who own a K-1 and are waiting for new lenses to drop..

I really don't think they planned the K-1 system too well.. or they genuinely were surprised at the interest.

Because I would think they would have started the full D-FA lineup BEFORE the K-1, so new lenses would be ready every ~6 months. And, they did start it with the 150-450mm and the 70-200mm in late 2015/early 2016 but since then (minus the 28-105) there has been a lull indeed in lens output... I think we've gone well over a year now without a single new lens on store shelves.
07-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Ricoh had a Plan.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2017 at 05:59 PM.
07-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ricoh had a Plan.
Had??
07-28-2017, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Had?? Oh dear.
Of course, I know nothing - but for the first time since Hoya this doesn't feel good.
07-28-2017, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Of course, I know nothing - but for the first time since Hoya this doesn't feel good.
Sun is still shining, camera will be working, honestly there is nothing we can do and we don't really know much anyway so why worry. It's interesting chitchat but hardly very important
07-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Ricoh had a Plan.
What do you think it was, and where do you think it went awry?
07-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #29

I'd guess KP using up lots of resources, while not selling well to either APSC flagship-people nor entry level...k70 seems great for the price but probably low margin, and then few lenses on top of that and with the initial k1 rush fading...it all adds up. But makes you wonder about what the plan was...sure, the superprimes are needed for the system to be well regarded, but with the expected prices and especially time to release and time in between them, they won't be cashcows I'd guess, and perhaps to far apart to have any shock-and-awe effect of pentax glass on the market.

After the K3-III (which should start selling yesterday considering the time since the last one and current sales), a quick K1-II with more or less just faster write speed/bus, usb, wifi and maybe some other gimmick that doesn't cost a lot to change (but sounds cool/sells) would probably sell better than the KP after the K1 success I think. (Some people must always have the latest...and a 2 year old camera can almost be justified to be upgraded...its getting ooold....=) )
07-28-2017, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are now over a year removed from the K-1's release date. It certainly has slowing sales and we are due for some upper end glass release as well as a K3 II replacement. If that made a splash, they could still have a nice fall/winter. The biggest concern is the slow pace. There was certainly a time when it seemed like Ricoh was making a new announcement every three months or so. Not so much now. We have ideas about what is coming, but it certainly doesn't seem to be arriving very fast.