Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 289 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #451

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Sure, that why ...
whatever. Somewhere inside yourself,
you already agreed to the fact, that DSLRs that cant overcome smartphones in their featureset, will have a pretty hard time to sell.
Otherwise you wouldnt have answered the way you did.

09-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
Everybody in this thread seems to forget that all camera manufacturers offer a free dedicated PP software bundled with each camera. Most of the time it is crippled to deny processing files shot using another brand camera
I gave up on the bundled Silkypix when it wouldn't open files from other Pentax models, just the one it came with.

Since I use several different Pentax models at any given time, this was a real turnoff.
09-04-2017, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #453
mee
Veteran Member

Silkypix is a piece of shovelware. There, I said it.

You're better off with a number of 3rd party solutions.
09-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Aristophanes point was that a PC piece of software, regardless of how good, wasn't going to meet the needs of the world wide photography community who don't own computers. If Pentax released their own version of Snapseed (Pricseed?) that would edit Pentax K-1 RAW files on an i pad (and do so in a full featured and smooth fashion), I don't know if it would actually move the dial a whole lot in their direction, but that was his point.

09-04-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #455
mee
Veteran Member

Yes but that part of the discussion jumped the rails a long time ago..

That part is similar to the notion that one day all dedicated cameras will be mirrorless and tablets are killing desktops. But we see the market is large enough for all of those to exist at the same time. And anyone serious is editing and cataloging on a dedicated computer. Be it laptop or desktop.

The mobile apps and cloud services are prevalent largely because the desktop apps have matured to the point that the market has to invent something new to keep the cash cow rolling. And you hype enough people through proper marketing to think that is THE direction the entire market is heading means you end up with people wondering why you are not thinking the same way as them. Must be something wrong with you otherwise!
09-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #456

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Last night my Panasonic buddy and I were videoing seven female empowerment speakers...
I suspect getting usable stills from a 4K stream would be WAY easier than getting my wife to believe THAT is why I stumbled in at 3:00am
09-04-2017, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes but that part of the discussion jumped the rails a long time ago..

That part is similar to the notion that one day all dedicated cameras will be mirrorless and tablets are killing desktops. But we see the market is large enough for all of those to exist at the same time. And anyone serious is editing and cataloging on a dedicated computer. Be it laptop or desktop.

The mobile apps and cloud services are prevalent largely because the desktop apps have matured to the point that the market has to invent something new to keep the cash cow rolling. And you hype enough people through proper marketing to think that is THE direction the entire market is heading means you end up with people wondering why you are not thinking the same way as them. Must be something wrong with you otherwise!
Tablets are not killing anything right now because table are basically fat smartphones. They do not provide really more than smartphone except more real estate while computer give access to many more features with advanced desktop apps and much better ergonomics. Well we say desktop, but the sales are mostly laptops.

I think that outside Windows and a few games, the desktops app market was never that big for the public. Corporation actually do spend a lot on software on their workstation and even more on their servers. But its is custom application tailored to fit a specific need that pay most software developpers. The app thing in comparison is pocket money.

As for camera well we have seen past technologies mostly disapear. Film DSLR for example or range finders. To think that the type of camera as we know it today would stay forever is naive. Be it DSLR or current mirrorless as we know them.

09-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #458
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FilmORbitz Quote
I suspect getting usable stills from a 4K stream would be WAY easier than getting my wife to believe THAT is why I stumbled in at 3:00am
I mentioned to my brother-in-law that during the week I videoed eight women and he smirked straight away.
09-05-2017, 01:57 AM   #459
Pentaxian

I videoed eight women
I usually just do two, but both are full framed!
09-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
Pentax, Fuji and Panasonic use Silkypix
And Nikon (cf Capture NX-D).

The Silkypix virus has, unfortunately, spread throughout the Japanese camera industry. As far as I know, only Canon and Sony seem immune.
09-05-2017, 02:18 AM   #461
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I read it this morning. It is very difficult to see development for the camera business in the future. The camera business is loosing money and not a little. There is only something to say about sales in the America's. As in previous quarter sales went down! And they went down a lot. It looks like that sales to the America's (North, South, Middle and the Caribbean) are down to something like a 1 million USD sales on a monthly base. They put some things together with the previous camera business and now together that is less then it was for camera only a year ago. Remember these sales are combined for Theta, aps-c, fullframe, 645z and Gr. So sales are becoming marginal for Ricoh-Imaging in this area.

Something has to happen to stop the money loosing that is happening!
I think the development of microelectronics will dictate the fashion of the future cameras.
09-05-2017, 03:27 AM   #462
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I usually just do two, but both are full framed!
I think I've seen your work on a DVD entitled 'Sapphic Delights Volume Three'.

09-05-2017, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #463
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I've seen your work on a DVD entitled 'Sapphic Delights Volume Three'.
A google search hurt my eyes!
09-05-2017, 03:59 AM   #464
Pentaxian

'Sapphic Delights Volume Three'.
There were 3 of us...in the room!
09-05-2017, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #465
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Tablets are not killing anything right now because table are basically fat smartphones. They do not provide really more than smartphone except more real estate while computer give access to many more features with advanced desktop apps and much better ergonomics. Well we say desktop, but the sales are mostly laptops.

I think that outside Windows and a few games, the desktops app market was never that big for the public. Corporation actually do spend a lot on software on their workstation and even more on their servers. But its is custom application tailored to fit a specific need that pay most software developpers. The app thing in comparison is pocket money.

As for camera well we have seen past technologies mostly disapear. Film DSLR for example or range finders. To think that the type of camera as we know it today would stay forever is naive. Be it DSLR or current mirrorless as we know them.

All tablets can be are fat smartphones. They were touted as the PC killer some 3 years ago. But that didn't happen.

But it is more than a few games on PCs, as the PC gaming market is worth over 30 Billion USD. It is a huge market. There are multimillion dollar PC gaming leagues and professional series. (The really skilled) Kids make high 5 and low 6 figure salaries playing games. And there are large viewerships to see them at work.

But you largely won't see this happen on tablets or smartphones. Those games are for casual use. As the whole platform is designed around casual use.