Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not surprised that Pentax is not doing well financially. I bought my K1 over a year ago and they have introduced NO new lens since then. I got tired of waiting and have spend substantial money on third party lens(Zeiss). I'd bet I'm not the only one!

07-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Ricoh's problem has actually been that they are too focused on the Japanese market. If they tried a little bit, I would think it wouldn't be hard to increase sales in the North America market, but they have done the opposite of try, at least in the US, and other than Amazon, B and H, and Adorama, it is hardly possible to get a Pentax camera. In point of fact, their US sales force is non-existent, there is basically no advertising other than word of mouth.

I understand that Pentax has always been a Japan-centric company, but certainly it makes sense to figure out ways to grow in other markets.
They main issues (and this comes from old Ned posts) has been distribution.

They muddled that by having the custom color options for a few cream models. That fashion first concept applied to DSLRs and the Q went....nowhere and may have been an impediment to better distribution in the few brick and mortar chains left. I heard this directly from Canada's Henry's chain who stopped selling Pentax in many stores because of the complexity and low demand. As I heard it, Sony got that space.

Looking at the sales data, they need a mid- to large sensor mirrorless system that adheres to the Pentax value system. The GR/GXR line is ready. Time to go.
07-29-2017, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #48
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Just-buy-gear and go shooting !
The gear not yet released? That's kind of difficult.
07-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don’t see any growth in Pentax sales as I don’t see that much effort in marketing. I’m an accountant so, I don’t have much knowledge in marketing. Here in the Philippines, I do not see any effort from Pentax. True, Pentax is not as good when it comes to AF and other factors. I’m not trying to stir arguments here but, I have accepted Pentax's shortcomings. I have chosen Pentax because it fits my needs as based on its strengths. And, that’s where Pentax’s marketing should focus on, its strengths.
I also don’t know if having a lot of camera models in the product line will be good as a part of the strategy. Though, Pentax should be aware by now if they have more than a handful of models in their product line. The way I see it, Pentax has no media exposure at all. Pricing is another area that I’m looking at. As an accountant, I would look into the product’'s cost and make my markup based on the number of estimated units to sold to achieve my desired income. And, I would also look at the estimated units to be sold if it is really achievable to achieve the company's desired income. However, Pentax is currently sold at a much higher price than Nikon despite the fact that Nikon is viewed as a more superior product than Pentax. I’m not saying that Nikon is superior but, that’s just how it is viewed and unless Pentax can change that view, I just have to accept it. So, maybe pricing strategy has to be reviewed too.
How the whole perception will change will be up to Pentax. There are a lot of information that are not available to us to assess if Ricoh’s decision is right. I’ve just moved into Pentax about 3+ years ago. I just hope it doesn’t die on me like Olympus.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 07-29-2017 at 09:09 AM.
07-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
As for the <Other> business segment, which is subdivided into 'Industrial Products' (optical equipment, electronic components, semiconductor devices), 'Smart Vision' (digital and industrial cameras) and 'Other' (finance business in Japan, 3D printing, environment and healthcare), Ricoh's communication is pretty clear about the growth prospects:

Source: Consolidated Results for Three Months Ended June 30, 2017

The figures are unfortunate but they are what they are: between Q1 2017/03 (April-June 2016) and Q1 2018/03 (April-June 2017), the sales of the 'Smart Vision' subdivision (i.e. digital and industrial cameras) went from 7.8bn ($72m / 64m) to 4.3bn ($39m / 35m) i.e. minus 45 per cent. and Ricoh are attributing this plunge to digital cameras.
The way they are presenting those figures and commentaries is definitely not clear : where is exactly Ricoh Imaging, whilst we can see "optical" or "digital" products are present in different sub-segments ?
It seems they voluntarily try to hide sensible comparisons in that subject.

---------- Post added 29-07-17 at 09:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The gear not yet released? That's kind of difficult.
There is plenty for sale already

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-29-2017 at 11:18 AM.
07-29-2017, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #51
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
There is plenty for sale already

Nothing I'd buy. The lenses I'd buy are on the roadmap.
07-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We should be hearing rumors about an APSc flagship in a couple weeks, and see working lens prototypes in September. If not . . . . .
07-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #53
Pentaxian

If not, we'll hear rumors about an APS-C flagship, and see working lens prototypes later.
The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 will be released by the end of this fiscal year; you won't be seeing working prototypes even though they exist. The next APS-C flagship is not scheduled for this year.
Please, don't set up unreasonable expectations. You cannot hurry a real-life schedule by doing that.

07-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Nothing I'd buy. The lenses I'd buy are on the roadmap.
You aren't lucky, every time you are ready to buy the lenses fall off the chart.
I was more fortunate to want what's available and I'm very happy with current DFA gear.
07-29-2017, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

And what would be the reason for great sales ?
- Now K1 been available for some time and it got much more expensive. People that wanted it brought it, people that wanted a lower price either wait or found something in the competition.
- KP has not reason to sell well: not the new flagship but flagship prices. People that have K3 or K3-II are waiting and people that want mid or entry level find KP too expensive.
- lens line has big holes. Nothing new and interresting to buy in APSC for years (still no 12-24 replacement, no DC f/2.8 lenses...) and FF is lacking affordable lenses that people actually buy (24-105 f/4, 70-300 f/3.5-5.6, affordable 24, 35, 50, 85, 135mm primes)
- nothing new in the 645 area while Fuji entered the market with lot of buzz.

Pentax need to get new products out... To be substainable, they have to provide some interresting things for christmas period. 2-3 affordable FF lenses to filll the lens line up at least 1 new camera that people would want to buy to get back some profit.
07-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #56
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You aren't lucky, every time you are ready to buy the lenses fall off the chart.
I was more fortunate to want what's available and I'm very happy with current DFA gear.
I don't believe in luck. And the lenses I'm ready to buy are sitting on the roadmap. None fell off the chart.
07-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I don't believe in luck. And the lenses I'm ready to buy are sitting on the roadmap. None fell off the chart.
At some point in time I wanted to 12-28 Pentax was supposed to release and that was in the roadmap. I stopped wanting it long time ago but it is still not released
07-29-2017, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #58
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
At some point in time I wanted to 12-28 Pentax was supposed to release and that was in the roadmap. I stopped wanting it long time ago but it is still not released
That is the sad thing.. it seems to have become side stepped in favor of other lenses. That said, it is still on the roadmap so they seem to want to release one at some point.

I still wonder if those waiting for the body (K-3 III) to use that lens will be waiting as long as those waiting for that ultrawide lens..
Attached Images

07-29-2017, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

That is the sad thing..
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Same for me, I was wanting what Pentax don't have, banging my head on the wall all day long, I lost patience on the 12-28, and one day I had a genius idea (you know this Ah ah ! moment), I went to the Pentax shop and I got the DFA 15-30. Now, I don't look up the road map for the lens, I look down in my camera bag , and with the DFA15-30, you don't need to open the camera bag to know it's there, only the weight of the bag will suffice LoL.

Anyway, Nicolas, you can still get a Samy 14mm 2.8 for K3, or Samy 20mm 1.8 on K1, at that FoV, manual focus isn't difficult, you can even set the focus ring past the hyperfocal distance and keep it there.
07-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We should be hearing rumors about an APSc flagship in a couple weeks, and see working lens prototypes in September. If not . . . . .
"If not...." is the key is it not.