Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I concur that better video and AF are Pentax's weak points.

It won't increase DSLR market share against the long-term mirrorless alternatives, but it buys time when people side-by-side compare the brand with Canon and Sony.

07-31-2017, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
A lot of people want a small but full featured camera. People want a versatile but easy to use camera . Pentax should make a mirrorless APS-C and/or Full Frame camera. If they are unwilling to do that, they should at least make a WR DSLR that is about the size of the K-S1 with at least 80 auto focus points all cross type (spread across 90 percent of the total focus area) with much improved tracking, articulated touch screen and 4K video with auto focusing during video recording. Pentax has to listen and give the consumers what they want. When they did, Pentax made the K-1 which was a success for them.
Yes, and that's the millionth post that assume that Pentax success (or failure) is related to their products. I'm afraid that some of Canon DSLR have nothing more (even less) than some of Pentax DSLR , but Canon sells 20 times more simply because of distribution channels. It's very simple, better products without sales is a doomed to fail. The DFA*70-200 is one of the best 70-200 of the market, and considering "star" rendering, it is the best there is no equivalent, but it can't sell, it can sell because if the DFA*70-200 serviceable market is 10% of the total market, and if Pentax access to 5% of the market, that's 5% of 10% = 0.5% of the total market , and so, with 0.5% of the total market for such product they eventually never breakeven, spend more money into more product spread over the same customers base = fail. To make money with more products means to extend over the distribution channels and acquire new customers who would otherwise buy camera products from competition.

So, I'd say, you are right, Pentax should make a mirrorless APS-C and/or Full Frame camera or at least make a WR DSLR that is about the size of the K-S1 with at least 80 auto focus points all cross type, but they must add a sales man inside that camera with two legs so that that camera will walk itself on the self and start talking to every prospect looking at a Canon or Nikon or Sony. At the money, here in town, there is one shop selling Pentax (and they do push Pentax ,they push fuji because fuji give them good money) and a dozen of other shops who propose you a Canon or Nikon if you ask for a Pentax. When I walk into the shops that don't do Pentax and ask for Pentax , they sell me the merits of Canon service! Pentax, if you are not there, you won't make the sale, never.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-31-2017 at 01:55 PM.
07-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally think Ricoh could make a lot of noise by releasing a brand new... film SLR! Only half-jesting here! Make it K-mount, of course, and compatible with the most recent (KAF4) lenses.

But, that being said:

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
[...] I can understand that a board of directors considering the health of the overall Ricoh operation would be reluctant to allocate the working capital [...]
This. It's all fine and dandy for us to discuss product development strategies, possible marketing campaigns, and so forth. But the real question is: to what extent is the board of Ricoh still committed to consumer cameras? We all know it's a declining market, and it seems that the overall financial health of Ricoh as a whole isn't so great. We had better hope the Pentax brand remains important to at least some key players within the company. But now it seems the Q is on hold, the 645z is overdue for an update, and the pace of introduction of k-mount DSLR products is slowing (this despite the fact that time is of the essence if you want to convert K-1 sales into lens sales)...

Last edited by Doundounba; 07-31-2017 at 02:28 PM.
07-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #109
Pentaxian

We found out at CP+ that this will be a quiet year, right? But we have the lens roadmap, and the promise of the first D FA* prime coming this fiscal year.
That lens is the proof you require.

07-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
A lot of people want a small but full featured camera. People want a versatile but easy to use camera . Pentax should make a mirrorless APS-C and/or Full Frame camera. If they are unwilling to do that, they should at least make a WR DSLR that is about the size of the K-S1 with at least 80 auto focus points all cross type (spread across 90 percent of the total focus area) with much improved tracking, 5 axis image stabilization, articulated touch screen and 4K video with auto focusing during video recording. Pentax has to listen and give the consumers what they want. When they did, Pentax made the K-1 which was a success for them.
So that's 4 major sub-systems to build from the ground up, packaged in a 30% smaller body.

And an $899 street price. Anything else?
07-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #111
Veteran Member

As far as mirrorless goes, they've pretty much said "Nope."
4k video? Not anytime soon. Ricoh's even said that as far as video goes in their DSLR line it's not a major priority for them, and that their major priority is more on pictue/sensor quality.
More cross focus points, especially spread out? That's one of the thing that's always be welcomed, same for having a tilt-swivel screen.
07-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Right now, like at 10 minutes ago, you have 2 Ebay listings..a used DFA 70-200 2.8 for $1500..a used Canon 70-200 the white 2.8
for $770..what would a pro build based on this?
Yea, I loved that one about Pentax has to put a man with 2 legs inside the camera to sell it, like every company salesman, but he also needs to carry a really good deal inside his wallet with a bulletproof business card..
07-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Reports of a camera maker losing money is par for the industry in 2017.

07-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given the slow pace of new 35FF lenses appearing for the K-1, if I was a serious punter, I'd be putting money on a new APS-C body that builds on the strengths of the K-P and the K-1 and adds greater AF capability, along with something else, like focus-stacking (don't quote me – I said "like") and, say, a beefed-up DA*60-250, to match the higher-spec body.
07-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Given the slow pace of new 35FF lenses appearing for the K-1, if I was a serious punter, I'd be putting money on a new APS-C body that builds on the strengths of the K-P and the K-1 and adds greater AF capability, along with something else, like focus-stacking (don't quote me – I said "like") and, say, a beefed-up DA*60-250, to match the higher-spec body.
If they can have improve the Pixel Shift feature to where when shot in-camera it comes out as one raw file and not 4-seperate files that woild need to be combined afterwards, that'd be great.
07-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If they can have improve the Pixel Shift feature to where when shot in-camera it comes out as one raw file and not 4-seperate files that woild need to be combined afterwards, that'd be great.
I guess that's largely a matter of processor power and how fast you can get data off the sensor, and it would be preferable to have the processing happen in the background (or in parallel), so you could be getting on with your next shot. If suitable processors are available now, then perhaps that's just a matter of cost and, ultimately, price.
08-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Where are you hearing that? Probably not USA. Hardly anyone here knows Pentax is still in business.

I'm not a pro but I've given a dozen lectures on starting astrophotography to astronomy clubs and other groups. I have yet to meet anyone who is familiar with Pentax nevermind someone who owns one. Price didn't send those people to other brands, marketing and availability did.

Regardless, most camera makes are struggling due to market saturation. I have no idea what Ricoh should do next.
Here in Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark?) we had Pentax Scandinavia, now since the Hoya days, we have Focus Nordic. The good thing are that Fokus N. also have Tamron, Tokina, Lowe Pro, Samyang, Hama Zeiss, Velbon, Kenko, Epson and more. So their salesmen drive around to all shops that has something to do with photo.
We also have quick repairs. So this is not the problem here.

Pentax has good cameras, but is still a small brand. If Ricoh had purchased Minolta instead of Sony, they would probably not be bigger than Pentax is today.
It's a hard nut to crack.
Samsung had a partnership with Pentax for a while to learn. ..
Pentax released the patent to K bayonet free. Several Japanese brands started with K-bayonet, but Ricoh changed it a bit so Pentax cameras became problematic and Pentax filed the patent.

A new collaboration with, for example, Casio, Yashica or Olympus can be a way to go.
Pentax cameras with Yashica logo and some self-made lenses, for example, Olympus can start with FF k-bayonet and bring out some lenses themselves.
08-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Combining the images in post is more flexible, and allows you to recover a single image if something went wrong.
08-01-2017, 02:39 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
(...)

A new collaboration with, for example, Casio, Yashica or Olympus can be a way to go.
Pentax cameras with Yashica logo and some self-made lenses, for example, Olympus can start with FF k-bayonet and bring out some lenses themselves.
Yashica don't exist as a camera company any more. They were acquired by Kyocera in 1983 and ceased activity in 2005. In 2008, Kyocera sold the trademark rights of Yashica to the Hong Kong-based MF Jebsen Group. Nowadays Yashica International Company Limited are selling add-on lenses for smartphones. They cost HK$368 (US$47) if you want one:

YASHICA | The Silence of Story
08-01-2017, 02:42 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Uhh... that would be a mess, a product line with a serious identity crisis. And it doesn't solve anything. A Ricoh Imaging made Pentax camera with a Yashica logo?