Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
If they can have improve the Pixel Shift feature to where when shot in-camera it comes out as one raw file and not 4-seperate files that woild need to be combined afterwards, that'd be great.
It does come out of the camera as one (very large) RAW file. The issue is mostly where you process it. If there is minimal movement I process the image in Lightroom. If there is motion, then I use RAW Therapee. But it's still just a single file. The fact that Raw Therapee can split out the four images individually doesn't change that fact.

This image was processed the way I would normally process any other RAW image, through Lightroom.

08-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yashica don't exist as a camera company any more. They were acquired by Kyocera in 1983 and ceased activity in 2005. In 2008, Kyocera sold the trademark rights of Yashica to the Hong Kong-based MF Jebsen Group. Nowadays Yashica International Company Limited are selling add-on lenses for smartphones. They cost HK$368 (US$47) if you want one:

YASHICA | The Silence of Story
2008, the time runs away.
Some brands may be interested

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uhh... that would be a mess, a product line with a serious identity crisis. And it doesn't solve anything. A Ricoh Imaging made Pentax camera with a Yashica logo?
Samsung sold Pentax cameras and lenses with their own logos.
Around 1980 there were Petri, Cosina, Ricoh, Vivitar and others with K-bayonet and it worked well, there were many cameras and lenses to choose from (I have the Ricoh XR7).
It worked well with patent free until Ricoh changed the bayonet.

In the Olympus assortment (4/3) I think that an FF camera would compliment and they have SR in their cameras as well. In that case they would do some own lenses as well.
An Olympus K1 would probably not be exactly like Pentax, as Samsung did.
08-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #123
Pentaxian

So you're saying that Ricoh Imaging should sell their DSLRs under the Yashica brand - which they don't own - instead of Pentax? What's the purpose?
Or to "convince" JNC Datum Tech to rebadge Pentax cameras under the Yashica brand? How, who is going to pay for this, and what's the purpose?
08-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Honestly, I'm out of ideas how Ricoh can boost camera sales. Marketing here is absolutely nothing. The brick and mortar store in my province never carried the K-3II. As far as I know, they have to order if you want Pentax products. I think they're just waiting for Ricoh to pull out Pentax and they'll say good bye to the brand.

Sad.

08-01-2017, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm afraid I have to disagree. Combining the images in post is more flexible, and allows you to recover a single image if something went wrong.
There's no reason why you couldn't have a menu choice between in-camera or external processing, just like with HDR.
08-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's no reason why you couldn't have a menu choice between in-camera or external processing, just like with HDR.
Right now you have the options of RAW with motion correction, RAW without motion correction, jpeg with motion correction and jpeg without. The problem is that RAW files are just a container and as such they just hold the files with whatever algorithms the camera would use to correct for motion. But the question is more whether or not the external software can read those things. Lightroom sort of does. Raw Therapee does exceedingly well.

The the only thing I would say is that the motion correction masking needs more refinement as Raw Therapee does a better job at it than does the in camera jpeg engine.
08-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So that's 4 major sub-systems to build from the ground up, packaged in a 30% smaller body.

And an $899 street price. Anything else?
Pentax has to make cameras that people want to buy. A full featured DSLR that is compact and relatively light is a camera that people who hike, bike to scenic locations, people who don't want to carry a bulky camera, and are on vacation would like to have.

08-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #128
Pentaxian

The KP?
08-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Right now you have the options of RAW with motion correction, RAW without motion correction, jpeg with motion correction and jpeg without. The problem is that RAW files are just a container and as such they just hold the files with whatever algorithms the camera would use to correct for motion. But the question is more whether or not the external software can read those things. Lightroom sort of does. Raw Therapee does exceedingly well.

The the only thing I would say is that the motion correction masking needs more refinement as Raw Therapee does a better job at it than does the in camera jpeg engine.
Yes, just as HDR done in post tends to be much better than the in-camera processing, even for RAW files. I think the best reason for an option for in-camera processing of pixel-shift files is to reduce their size, provided you can get an acceptable result.

In any event, the original point was that the next flagship APS-C body has to have a few extras like this, even if not specifically this, to make it an attractive buying proposition, especially if it's not going to significantly improve AF speed or even video, though I suspect both will be addressed in some form.
08-01-2017, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
Pentax has to make cameras that people want to buy. A full featured DSLR that is compact and relatively light is a camera that people who hike, bike to scenic locations, people who don't want to carry a bulky camera, and are on vacation would like to have.
So, no heavy metal frame and magnesium shell. No heavy weatherseals. No robust, articulated monitor. No heavy, 100% glass prism in the OVF. No extra weight for the IBIS assembly. No heavy D-LI90 battery. No proper ergonomics for a stable grip.

In short, a K-S1, with none of the brand markers that make a Pentax a Pentax.

The K-S1 was built to meet your specifications, but it failed. Did the K-S1 fail because the blinking LED's were just dumb, or did it fail because it is too small, too plastic and too difficult to properly grip?
08-01-2017, 03:51 PM - 3 Likes   #131
Veteran Member

The KP?
Yea, I agree...that camera is a beast in a very compact body. Pictures don't do its small size justice.
The only problem with that camera is Ricoh didn't put it in enough people's faces.

Actually, the same can be said about the K-1. The only way you can get a feel for how much more compact the K-1 is compared to the D810 is if you go to a store and handle both. The problem is almost no store carries the K-1.
08-01-2017, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So, no heavy metal frame and magnesium shell. No heavy weatherseals. No robust, articulated monitor. No heavy, 100% glass prism in the OVF. No extra weight for the IBIS assembly. No heavy D-LI90 battery. No proper ergonomics for a stable grip.

In short, a K-S1, with none of the brand markers that make a Pentax a Pentax.

The K-S1 was built to meet your specifications, but it failed. Did the K-S1 fail because the blinking LED's were just dumb, or did it fail because it is too small, too plastic and too difficult to properly grip?
it failed because it didnt had active AF on movie mode like the D3200's and the T3i's of that time..youngsters wont manual focus for life in a raft or at Disney
08-01-2017, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
it failed because it didnt had active AF on movie mode like the D3200's and the T3i's of that time..youngsters wont manual focus for life in a raft or at Disney
That's the first I've heard that one. I have a K-S1. It is virtually unusable for taking photographs. Too small, too light. Grip is too shallow. The Mode selector on the back is a kludge. Video AF is so far down the list no one even got there before they put it down.

So we need an m43 MILC size camera that out resolves K-1 but also does broadcast quality video then. My God.

PentaxisDoomedTM

brap

Last edited by monochrome; 08-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
08-01-2017, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The only problem with that camera is Ricoh didn't put it in enough people's faces.
Actually, the same can be said about the K-1.
I couldn't agree more.
Hope they have better marketing plans for Pentax. One very good and relatively cheap way to do marketing is social media and they are very few activities there for as far as I see. They could put up more official video on youtube, post user testimonials and host contests on FB and IG, weekly feature photo taken by Pentax on their IG page, etc
By the way, Do they have a marketing department?
08-01-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I couldn't agree more.
Hope they have better marketing plans for Pentax. One very good and relatively cheap way to do marketing is social media and they are very few activities there for as far as I see. They could put up more official video on youtube, post user testimonials and host contests on FB and IG, weekly feature photo taken by Pentax on their IG page, etc
By the way, Do they have a marketing department?
Good social media requires full-time, talented people, marketing management, a consistent, unified brand message and a lot of repetition. Pentax has none of that here. I bet a USA marketing program would add $200 to each KP and $400 to each K-1.

There's a reason Pentax is price competitive - their cost competitive.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.