Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 289 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #661
Pentaxian

The "reduction of the lineup" appeared well before the K-3 II was discontinued - they used this phrasing since Q2. So that isn't it.
The K-S2 was replaced by the K-70. I don't think it counts as a reduction of the lineup.

04-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From Q1 to Q4, the revenue drop improved by more than 100%, that's good news.
04-28-2018, 07:07 AM   #663
Pentaxian

That's the 'wave effect' of K-1 in Q1 and, to a lesser extent, Q2 of FY2017/03.
04-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The K-3ii disappeared. So is K-S2 gone (there was stock a year ago). I don't see WG-M2 anymore. There are some lenses I don't see inventory on some lenses overhere for some time (among them 200mm and 300mm) so maybe they get a refresh, or this is part of having lower inventory by planning production runs.
I see a reduction in line up meaning fewer but more solid products with better margins. I’m not sure there’s any real need for lots of APS-C cameras, maybe no more GR, no more compacts and no more Q. That puts the focus firmly on FF, one or two mid to upmarket APS-C cams, one hopes a new 645 and of course lenses but fine lenses not kitlens stuff. There’s always room for a surprise or two but this leaves a more streamlined, focused catalogue, I think. So my guess is that’s where they are heading. The unknown is whether/when the camera market’s doldrums will finally bottom out. Losing 10 per cent or so a year just by virtue of the whole market reducing must be very difficult to deal with when you are small to start with. It would be very good if YoY turnover could start showing parity or even a modest increase.

04-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #665
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I see a reduction in line up meaning fewer but more solid products with better margins. I’m not sure there’s any real need for lots of APS-C cameras, maybe no more GR, no more compacts and no more Q. That puts the focus firmly on FF, one or two mid to upmarket APS-C cams, one hopes a new 645 and of course lenses but fine lenses not kitlens stuff. There’s always room for a surprise or two but this leaves a more streamlined, focused catalogue, I think. So my guess is that’s where they are heading. The unknown is whether/when the camera market’s doldrums will finally bottom out. Losing 10 per cent or so a year just by virtue of the whole market reducing must be very difficult to deal with when you are small to start with. It would be very good if YoY turnover could start showing parity or even a modest increase.
No more GR?
If there's a thing selling well it's the GR. Or maybe it's doomed 'cos no Leica/Pana/Sony/Fuji ?
04-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No more GR?
If there's a thing selling well it's the GR. Or maybe it's doomed 'cos no Leica/Pana/Sony/Fuji ?
Despite being due for replacement there are only vague statements about some time, some day. Not great news in the circs. If Ricoh feel they have to focus on fewer but stronger items then yes one can see the GR riding off the join Elvis and the Q in the sunset. I hope that's wrong but the longer there is no replacement the less likely there will be one. The original market/audience would have dissipated. Are Ricoh at Photokina this year? If they go that means they have something to show and a new GR would be a candidate for that.

Last edited by mecrox; 04-28-2018 at 02:54 PM.
04-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #667
Pentaxian

There's that rumor about a new GR this September...

04-28-2018, 02:53 PM - 3 Likes   #668
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Despite being due for replacement there are only vague statements about some time, some day. Not great news in the circs. If Ricoh feel they have to focus on fewer but stronger items then yes one can see the GR riding off the join Elvis and the Q in the sunset. I hope that's wrong but the longer there is no replacement the less likely there will be one. Are Ricoh at Photokina this year? If they go that means they have something to show.
In other words: FUD.
04-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
In other words: FUD.
Would you stop the aggression please. It’s so pointless. It simply means you don’t agree, which is fine. There’s nothing of that in anything I’ve said. It’s totally obvious Ricoh are tightening their focus and imo we should be prepared for fewer but stronger items going forward. That can only be good news if it leads to a stronger overall camera division. To get back to the original point, that’s one take on the mention of a reduced line-up in the recent Ricoh reports - reduced as part of a careful plan with the main focus on FF, not by some oversight. The GR is surely a bit of an outlier in that regard.

Last edited by mecrox; 04-28-2018 at 03:30 PM.
04-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The market for fixed lens speciality cameras seems very small. I'm not sure how much it would be worth to Pentax to try to compete in this area.
04-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #671
Pentaxian

It simply means you don’t agree
The problem here is that you disagree with Ricoh Imaging, too.
04-28-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #672
Closed Account

Hi folks. Once again, we ask that the discussion is kept civil and respectful. Disagree by all means, but please keep the responses within the rules. Thanks

Posting & Forum Membership
Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts.

Read more at: Welcome & Forum Rules - PentaxForums.com
04-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #673
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the last Ricoh branded camera not named Theta, I imagine that there are executives within the organization fighting to keep it going.
04-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #674
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The problem here is that you disagree with Ricoh Imaging, too.
Not long ago the number of "bids" for new things from Pentax on here would have fazed Canon - more bodies and lenses on APS-C, more on FF, a new 645 and more lenses, a GR or several GRs with different focal lengths, more Q, Theta, etc. Given their size today, they can't possibly do all of it even with the best intentions. The core is the K-mount and I'd guess the 645 may be a close second Other things are very nice to have but not the meat and potatoes. Of course another GR would be good to have and I would very probably buy one too, but if things get pushed to the back of the queue or even off it in order to focus on the core elements then it's the outliers. Ricoh can't do everything. The recent interview on DPR didn't make it sound as if a GR was either a priority or likely to turn up any time soon. Limboland. If you leave something for too long then times change and the audience for it fades away, making it increasingly less attractive to produce, imo.

Last edited by mecrox; 04-29-2018 at 02:33 AM.
04-29-2018, 01:31 AM   #675
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
As the last Ricoh branded camera not named Theta, I imagine that there are executives within the organization fighting to keep it going.
Maybe those executives got pampered with the Ricoh WG-50.........

But true the GRii is the last of what is left of original Ricoh camera before they took over Pentax. I have no idea how many units need to be sold to make a new model profitable. Probably making just a 24mp model with new processor is the cheapest upgrade. The market for compact camera's is getting smaller every year. We will see if Photokina brings something.