Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It doesn't seem like the KP ever got much interest and looking at the last five pages of photos submitted I only see the KP once, the K1 and surprisingly the Canon Rebel t5 look like the most common cameras.

Who knows if it's just Adorama not selling them or if it's not selling anywhere, if it's everywhere I would think that it would be a big hit to Pentax.

08-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the reasons I chose Pentax is its looks and ergonomic design. I really like the way the KP looks. More so, I like the feedback about its image quality. But, maybe it isn't selling that well at Adorama. Maybe we'll know in a couple of months as more feedback from other sellers will come. Each seller has its own direction.
08-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I just looked at Adorama website. They have a lot of different iterations of the body only with different accessory bundles. None of them are marked as closeout, just the body only. I think their stock is the kits with the 3 grips and they could be clearing them out. If that is the case it's probably a good deal to get one with the 3 grips. Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to go for one now. Regarding sales success I had my doubts when the KS1 was released but I would expect the K-P would sell well. Once my financials are ready, I will consider upgrading my K-5 (original) to the K-P. I like the idea of a compact body with good low light performance.

Last edited by jddwoods; 08-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.
08-01-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep forgetting...this is the rumors forum. It is important that all threads here be centered on the principles of FUD...
  • F ear
  • U ncertainty
  • D oubt
For without FUD, how can Pentax be DOOMED. It is essential that the flagging of the KP body-only at Adorama be an occult indicator that the KP has been discontinued. Any indications outside of this particular listing at Adorama are to be ignored.

It is also important that all people who had been considering a KP purchase fall into deep doubts when reading the thread title and fall into deepest dread at the prospect of buying this near corpse of a camera.

All that being said, perhaps we could just ask @Helen_Oster (Adorama Customer Ambassador) if there is reason to fear that the "closeout" listing for the KP body only (both colors) is a portent of dark days ahead.

Steve

(...Pentax is DOOMED TM...)

08-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
According to Adorama Web Chat, they are selling out existing merchandise and will not
be restocking presumably due to item being discontinued. Go figure!
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, this was noticed a week or so ago. I wonder it they are closing out the initial stock to be replaced with kit having only the small grip. The in-depth review on this site mentioned that change would be coming.

Steve
Likely this. The three-grip packaging would have a different SKU from the single grip packaging.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-01-2017 at 05:51 PM.
08-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I keep forgetting...this is the rumors forum. It is important that all threads here be centered on the principles of FUD...
  • F ear
  • U ncertainty
  • D oubt
For without FUD, how can Pentax be DOOMED. It is essential that the flagging of the KP body-only at Adorama be an occult indicator that the KP has been discontinued. Any indications outside of this particular listing at Adorama are to be ignored.

It is also important that all people who had been considering a KP purchase fall into deep doubts when reading the thread title and fall into deepest dread at the prospect of buying this near corpse of a camera.

All that being said, perhaps we could just ask @Helen_Oster (Adorama Customer Ambassador) if there is reason to fear that the "closeout" listing for the KP body only (both colors) is a portent of dark days ahead.

Steve

(...Pentax is DOOMED TM...)
As the OP, I hope I didn't give that impression. The openly hostile to pentax posters of late bug me too... I actually want a KP and was the whole reason I was looking.

I think the KP will take less room and weight in my bag next to my K1 and DA*300 than buying the DFA150-450 for long tele work, and cost less while doing a better job too. I crop a lot with the K1 & 300mm, and with the 1.5x of 24mp at essentially 450mm, it would be an upgrade. I'm one of those that upgraded from a K5 and never owned a K3. FF has been awesome for everything except long tele work, and still does a spectacular job when I'm willing to lug my 6LB 400mm F4 Tamron prime.

To be completely honest, I was wondering if maybe the k3-iii was close... but the KP would suite me fine and take less room...especially tempting if the sale prices came down to near k70 territory eventually.
Eric
08-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

KP used to mean "Kitchen Patrol". KP is being relegated to the back seat! (Just pushing more rumors!)
08-01-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
As the OP, I hope I didn't give that impression. The openly hostile to pentax posters of late bug me too... I actually want a KP and was the whole reason I was looking.

I think the KP will take less room and weight in my bag next to my K1 and DA*300 than buying the DFA150-450 for long tele work, and cost less while doing a better job too. I crop a lot with the K1 & 300mm, and with the 1.5x of 24mp at essentially 450mm, it would be an upgrade. I'm one of those that upgraded from a K5 and never owned a K3. FF has been awesome for everything except long tele work, and still does a spectacular job when I'm willing to lug my 6LB 400mm F4 Tamron prime.

To be completely honest, I was wondering if maybe the k3-iii was close... but the KP would suite me fine and take less room...especially tempting if the sale prices came down to near k70 territory eventually.
Eric
You will definitely need the largest grip for long lens work. Get the 3-grip kit before they're gone.

With my large hands the smallest grip is fine with DA Lim. pancakes; the medium works for me with lenses from DA35/2.8 - M150/3.5; and the large grip is necessary for the FA*300.

K-1 is another matter entirely. Everything balances.

08-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the clarification

To be completely honest, I was wondering if maybe the k3-iii was close.
There is a thread here about the K-3II as well where speculation on its full retirement and replacement is being made based on long-standing absence (over six months at this point) of the camera from the lineup at a major Japanese camera store. As a result, potential purchasers are being counseled to wait for the K-3 replacement that may surface late this Fall.

You gotta love the rumor threads

Steve
08-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #25
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
KP used to mean "Kitchen Patrol". KP is being relegated to the back seat! (Just pushing more rumors!)
Next kits come with a scrub brush and a giant stirring spoon?
08-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #26
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
According to Adorama Web Chat, they are selling out existing merchandise and will not
be restocking presumably due to item being discontinued. Go figure!
Well.. that's interesting. But that web agent could be clueless too. Or, like someone else mentioned, the old kits are going away and new kits replacing them.

You should have asked if you can preorder a K-3 III just to see if they'd slip up.
08-01-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
KP is a nice camera.. but as we all know is not the K3ii replacement, and IMO the price was way to high for a camera that is not an APS-C "top of the line" like K3 were/is.. so maybe sales werent that good, not because of quality but because of price.. the new $950 price sounds much better than the original $1199.... but who knows..
08-02-2017, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #28
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You will definitely need the largest grip for long lens work. Get the 3-grip kit before they're gone.

With my large hands the smallest grip is fine with DA Lim. pancakes; the medium works for me with lenses from DA35/2.8 - M150/3.5; and the large grip is necessary for the FA*300.
We've been down this road before. The largest grip is apparently necessary for you. Those of us who learned to handle 1980's cameras, which had even less "grip" than the KP+smallest grip, cradle the lens with our left hands, and can hand-hold almost any lens with the smallest grip. I purchased a K-30, despite its overly-large grip, because of my limited financial resources; I would love to be able to purchase a KP + smallest grip

Last edited by reh321; 08-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.
08-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We've been down this road before. The largest grip is apparently necessary for you. Those of us who learned to handle 1980's cameras, which had even less "grip" than the KP+smallest grip, cradle the lens with our left hands, and can hand-hold almost any lens with the smallest grip. I purchased a K-30, despite its overly-large grip, because of my limited financial resources; I would love to be able to purchase a KP + smallest grip
Hah Hah. That's not true for everyone. My hands are size 10 - not huge. I started in 1969 on a Spottie. I have 24 traditional 35mm film cameras from Asahiflex through MZ-S, K, M, A, F and FA lenses from 20mm - 1000mm, and handhold up to K400/5.6. I use the old-school, two hand, left-under grip with all cameras, as I was taught by my Instructor in the early 70's, including K-01, K-1 and KP - even Q. I find the MX too small to comfortably use - it is too cramped on the right side. I use the Winder to correct this fault.

It's the button placements on KP - esp. the back AF button - that makes the grip a challenge with longer heavier lenses. By gripping the larger grip with my three lower fingers I can operate the shutter, front e-dial and AF button without cramping my index finger and thumb. With the smaller grips my fingertips still have to press the camera face very hard to free my index finger or thumb. This isn't a prohibitive issue with small lenses but it is with long lenses.

Also, the strap lug on KP falls right in the web of my right hand which is decidedly uncomfortable with all lenses, but especially with my FA*300.

Now that I've gotten my KP out and written this after trying what I've written - I think I actually don't like the KP ergonomics. It is very similar to the MX. I tolerate the bad stuff because the good stuff is so good.

By comparison, everything on K-1 is naturally placed and comfortable.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-02-2017 at 08:41 PM.
08-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

KP strap

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Also, the strap lug on KP falls right in the web of my right hand which is decidedly uncomfortable with all lenses, but especially with my FA*300.

Now that I've gotten my KP out and written this after trying what I've written - I think I actually don't like the KP ergonomics. It is very similar to the MX. I tolerate the bad stuff because the good stuff is so good.

By comparison, everything on K-1 is naturally placed and comfortable.
Just curious but I use my K3 with a small caribiner only on the left side attached to a metal O ring, then sling the strap across to my right side and hold the grip with my right hand while walking. Seems effective so far and safe. Have you tried something like this with the KP?? Then the strap lug should not interfere on the right side since it would not be attached there.