Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Wow.

Could it be they are getting ready to announce the K-3 III or whatever will replace the K-3 II?

It could possibly be how they positioned the KP and it's price that might be the issue. IMHO I did not think the KP was worth more than the K-3 II flagship APS-C. Even though it added some new features it was still not a flagship and should not have been priced more than the flagship. If you price the K-3 II replacement around $1300 to $1500 to be more expensive than the KP people may just decide to go with the K1 instead. Another scenario is that people would rather pay a little more and buy the true flagship rather than the KP. I always viewed the KP as more of a K-70 replacement than K-3 II replacement and that it should have been priced accordingly.

Anyway no matter how I look at it the replacement for the K-3 II should have come out before the KP or the KP should have been priced less than K-3 II. The KP should have knocked the K-S2 out of the line up, taken the K-70 spot and made the K-70 the entry level DSLR.

Just my thoughts on the subject
^^^^This^^^
will somebody hand this man a beer ?? he called it out like it is..
The KP should had been lower priced than the K3II anytime, replacing the K70 at once..this is why its so confusing to recommend to other brand users..

Last edited by Jeff Lopez; 08-02-2017 at 09:17 PM.
08-03-2017, 04:18 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Just curious but I use my K3 with a small caribiner only on the left side attached to a metal O ring, then sling the strap across to my right side and hold the grip with my right hand while walking. Seems effective so far and safe. Have you tried something like this with the KP?? Then the strap lug should not interfere on the right side since it would not be attached there.
Thanks. I don't have a strap attached yet. It is the actual lug that sticks out right where I grip.
08-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt the KP is going anywhere. Possibly certain packages of it may go away. It would not surprise me to see the price of the KP drop into the 850 range -- that feels about right for it, although I think Pentax is trying to raise overall pricing on new products without as much discounting.

If a K3 III comes out, my expectation would be to see it priced 1400 to 1500. Better specifications, bigger body (a smaller version of the K-1).
08-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I doubt the KP is going anywhere. Possibly certain packages of it may go away. It would not surprise me to see the price of the KP drop into the 850 range -- that feels about right for it, although I think Pentax is trying to raise overall pricing on new products without as much discounting.

If a K3 III comes out, my expectation would be to see it priced 1400 to 1500. Better specifications, bigger body (a smaller version of the K-1).
I think Ricoh was trying to charge a style premium, and they just don't have the marketing to do that. At $850 the camera would be a good value and that is where Pentax is at the moment. Selling a style premium really needs marketing.

08-03-2017, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

It's funny - and a little sad - how some people are so darn linear in their thinking that they can't accept the fact that the KP does not fit into the entry level / mid level / flagship paradigm.

Free your mind.
08-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Stop worrying! It's unhealthy. None of the sets are on close out. (pentax kp Buy or Learn at Adorama) Maybe they have a limited amount of bodies for the lower price. Why no lens kits? This would be a great camera to sell with the 16-85 or the 20-40 ltd.
08-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at this hurts me physically: in Europe the KP is still at 1299 Euro = 1450 US-Dollar! And, if they would have kept the GPS instead of the "flash" I would have bought it also at that price already. But for now K3-II is the only option, which is unfortunate because of the sensor performance of the KP... (sorry for the OT rant)
08-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's funny - and a little sad - how some people are so darn linear in their thinking that they can't accept the fact that the KP does not fit into the entry level / mid level / flagship paradigm.

Free your mind.
I'd love to free my mind with a KP but alas my shoplifting skills just aren't up for it these days. Around here it's the dollar equivalent of more than 1300 including taxes. Lovely camera I think, but at that price locally I doubt they've sold many units. They did this here with the K-01 and with the Q. Can't understand why they still think this time it will work. At 20-30 per cent less the KP would be a great great buy.

08-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, I stopped by B&H yesterday and the salesman told me that he did not know anything about a KP closeout or it being discontinued or anything like that.
08-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #40
Pentaxian

13% isn't a very good closeout price in my books. Meh?
08-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'd love to free my mind with a KP but alas my shoplifting skills just aren't up for it these days. Around here it's the dollar equivalent of more than 1300 including taxes. Lovely camera I think, but at that price locally I doubt they've sold many units. They did this here with the K-01 and with the Q. Can't understand why they still think this time it will work. At 20-30 per cent less the KP would be a great great buy.
IMO the KP should have pricing comparable to the K-3 II.

Funny, after giving the world such a great deal on the K-1 Ricoh decided to price the KP rather dearly. Perhaps the KP buyers are in effect subsidizing the K-1 buyers...
08-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
13% isn't a very good closeout price in my books. Meh?
Looking for K-01esque price drowning?
08-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Looking for K-01esque price drowning?
Haha, not at all. I do think such a meager closeout price isn't indicative of a larger trend of the model.
08-03-2017, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

IMO the KP should have pricing comparable to the K-3 II.

Funny, after giving the world such a great deal on the K-1 Ricoh decided to price the KP rather dearly. Perhaps the KP buyers are in effect subsidizing the K-1 buyers...
You can buy real lenses for KP, K1 has some limitations here and price actually went up over time/ with success.
KP by design is a/the little brother of K1 - we may expect more from a K3iii, but KP looks like a solid package. Don't always chase for features, a solid package will perform better over time - K1000.
08-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What kind of limitations are you talking about?