Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #61
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Otago, New Zealand
Posts: 206
I pre-ordered one at full price, I frankly don't understand what people are complaining about.

For the sort of photography I do it's great - I basically need a camera I can grab with no notice, often in poor light, and get excellent image results reliably and quickly, then move on to the next thing. It does that just fine. I don't (often) sit in a studio and fire off 2-3000 frames - if I did I'd use a different camera.

My only real criticism of the kp is that the battery depletes quite quickly, but frankly buying a few spare batteries suits me better than paying twice as much for something twice the weight with roughly the same image quality.

I use all manner of cameras on a daily basis, there are better cameras for people who focus on specific tasks like studio, video, sports, etc. But in terms of it's features, build quality, price, and image quality it's pretty good value.

08-07-2017, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Veteran Member
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Woo! Woo! Helen Oster!

Hey, everybody...the KP LIVES! IT LIVES!!!


Steve
08-15-2017, 03:24 AM   #63
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
KP is a nice camera.. but as we all know is not the K3ii replacement, and IMO the price was way to high for a camera that is not an APS-C "top of the line" like K3 were/is.. so maybe sales werent that good, not because of quality but because of price.. the new $950 price sounds much better than the original $1199.... but who knows..
+1

For sure Pentax would not discountinue it but sellers may if they don't manage sales. After all Pentax experienced that less and less sellers are selling their product. The KP is nice but basically a K3 with bit better high iso, bit smaller/lighter body but also quite few missing features too.

For me Pentax shall have made the KP to replace the K70 with same price, be a bit more plastic so it could get K50 weight rather than K5 weight and have some decent APSC flagship asking for $1000-1200. Like everything of KP/K3-II + a new AF sensor covering most of the viewfinder and improved action performance. Both would have sold well.

The other solution would have been to keep the KP price and features set but put a basic FF sensor on it and release it together with a new set of DFA entry level lenses like a DFA35 f/2.4, DFA50 f/1.8 a collapsible 24-70kit lens... This would also have sold like hot cakes too.

But the KP as it is while not a bad camera by any mean, all the contrary, has no market with its mix of features and its price point.

For example, explain me why I should get one as a K3 owner... K3 that has been out for what? 3.5 years. And the same for K3-II. Even for K70 owner, there only really AF as differenciator and people that cared of that brought a K3 then, not a K70. Owner of previous flagships likely want another flagship, and people wanting to replace their K30/K50 would find it too expensive.
08-15-2017, 03:30 AM   #64
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I pre-ordered one at full price, I frankly don't understand what people are complaining about.

For the sort of photography I do it's great - I basically need a camera I can grab with no notice, often in poor light, and get excellent image results reliably and quickly, then move on to the next thing. It does that just fine. I don't (often) sit in a studio and fire off 2-3000 frames - if I did I'd use a different camera.

My only real criticism of the kp is that the battery depletes quite quickly, but frankly buying a few spare batteries suits me better than paying twice as much for something twice the weight with roughly the same image quality.

I use all manner of cameras on a daily basis, there are better cameras for people who focus on specific tasks like studio, video, sports, etc. But in terms of it's features, build quality, price, and image quality it's pretty good value.
The thing is all camera can do that now. There isn't a single camera that perform bad in low light, be it m4/3, APSC or FF in today market. The KP is nice. But the same can be said of all other cameras in the market. I get great low light performance out of my K3 too and many people do it with their K5...

08-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #65
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
For example, explain me why I should get one as a K3 owner...
IF you sold a K3 to buy a K1 and find that sometimes you'd prefer a smaller camera and you still have limited lenses for casual shooting you "might" get a KP. But if you also sold your limited lenses to buy K1 lenses, then the door is open... :-)
08-15-2017, 04:31 AM   #66
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
IF you sold a K3 to buy a K1 and find that sometimes you'd prefer a smaller camera and you still have limited lenses for casual shooting you "might" get a KP. But if you also sold your limited lenses to buy K1 lenses, then the door is open... :-)
I agree, that would be a legitimate use case. But if I was to buy the K1 thinking to keep APSC as an option I'd likely keep the K3 too. KP isn't smaller enough (for me) to justify except maybe when it go for $300 used. Especially as a second body. But I guess everyone different.

If KP only sell as second body to FF buyers once they have some cash available again... Well that would explain why it is discountinued. That market is too small. Pentax isn't Canon.
08-15-2017, 04:35 AM   #67
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,128
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I agree, that would be a legitimate use case. But if I was to buy the K1 thinking to keep APSC as an option I'd likely keep the K3 too.
Ah, possibly yes. But when I used the K1 in crop mode @ 7FPS / 15Mp , I found the K3 not to be that smaller, and K1 crop IQ not much different from the K3 , so, I sold the K3 before it'd loose more value.
08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #68
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah, possibly yes. But when I used the K1 in crop mode @ 7FPS / 15Mp , I found the K3 not to be that smaller, and K1 crop IQ not much different from the K3 , so, I sold the K3 before it'd loose more value.
Sure but then still no KP isn't it ? As I understand as second body you'd like something even smaller no?

08-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #69
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,283
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The thing is all camera can do that now. There isn't a single camera that perform bad in low light, be it m4/3, APSC or FF in today market. The KP is nice. But the same can be said of all other cameras in the market. I get great low light performance out of my K3 too and many people do it with their K5...
I'm not satisfied with low light performance of my K-30. I'm guessing that I'm not the only Pentax owner having a camera more than two years old, and all of us are a natural market for a K-70 or KP.
08-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #70
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not satisfied with low light performance of my K-30. I'm guessing that I'm not the only Pentax owner having a camera more than two years old, and all of us are a natural market for a K-70 or KP.
Mostly it is you that don't manage to get the most of your K30 and I agree many other are in the same bag. You need to learn to post process if you have a K30 for low light. Well you still have to even with latest greatest camera, but it is a bit less important than before.

But the replacement for K30 is K70 that is comparable to KP for JPEG rendering... The KP still asking flagship price for mid level features.
08-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,175
Again, those are definitely no mid level features :
- electronic shutter up to 1/26000s
- 5 axis stabilisation
- iso and AF performance (according to Pentax APS-C standard) / best denoised APS-C IQ of the market
Do you insist you need a nespresso ?
08-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #72
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,240
Uhh... right now, the "flagship price" for cropped camera is around 2000 USD/euro; the KP is well below that.
08-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #73
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,283
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Mostly it is you that don't manage to get the most of your K30 and I agree many other are in the same bag. You need to learn to post process if you have a K30 for low light. Well you still have to even with latest greatest camera, but it is a bit less important than before.

But the replacement for K30 is K70 that is comparable to KP for JPEG rendering... The KP still asking flagship price for mid level features.
This totally misses the point of my post. The point of my post is that you don't look at owners of "current DSLR's" to find the natural market for K-70 and KP cameras. The natural market for those cameras is people like me, and there is enough of them that your premature burial of those cameras is silly.
08-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #74
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 45,724
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uhh... right now, the "flagship price" for cropped camera is around 2000 USD/euro; the KP is well below that.
Yup, definitely expect the K-3 replacement to bounce back to at least 1400-1500.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-15-2017, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,537
The KP is really, really great and reeks of quality everywhere- my favorite camera ever and well worth the price IMO. I'm sure I will love a K-1 if I decide to acquire one, but I like a small and light kit so APS-c it is for now. A K-3 replacement better have UFO technology if I'm to be tempted by it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, canon, k-70, kp, kp on closeout, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, possibility, status, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
comprar una KP o pasarme al formato compreto (Buy a KP or switch to the full format)? mariovidal Pentax KP 4 07-20-2017 11:42 AM
Why Pentax KP? Para que la Pentax KP? ZeaFoto Pentax KP 14 04-29-2017 12:12 AM
Keep K20D and add K-01, or sell and get closeout K-5 instead? ChristianRock Pentax DSLR Discussion 26 08-02-2013 10:49 AM
Is Ritz closeout sale over? mccarvindh General Talk 10 06-03-2009 12:01 AM
Local camera store closeout - anything special about these lenses? Steinback Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-10-2008 10:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top