Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 01:45 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just some stuff he thinks is obvious but it's not because based on a false assumption. Like there are hardly any lenses for the K-1. You can name a multitude but of course those don't count.

08-04-2017, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just some stuff he thinks is obvious but it's not because based on a false assumption. Like there are hardly any lenses for the K-1. You can name a multitude but of course those don't count.
I think that because the K-1 is new and revolutionary for Pentax, there are people who wants lenses to match. They want Pentax to follow the Canikony paradigm.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the conservatism of the Pentax user base will result in the demise of the brand.
08-04-2017, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
4 pages about nothing. A web error of some kind or a SKU change.
Nothing to see here folks.
08-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
^^^^This^^^
will somebody hand this man a beer ?? he called it out like it is..
The KP should had been lower priced than the K3II anytime, replacing the K70 at once..this is why its so confusing to recommend to other brand users..
I'm not sure why you are so certain that the KP replaces the K-70. The K-50 remained as an introductory camera even after the K-S2 was introduced. If Pentax were to slim the offerings down to 3 K-mount models, I would expect the K-3ii to be at least as likely as the K-70 to go, on the theory that someone could always use the K-1 in "crop" configuration if s/he needed a flagship "crop" camera.

---------- Post added 08-04-17 at 11:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's not out of the realm of possibility that the conservatism of the Pentax user base will result in the demise of the brand.
That has been a possibility for some time now. Canon has produced very good and successful products using plastics and in-lens motors, but "Pentax faithful" rebel any time someone suggests that Pentax do likewise. Contrary to the opinion of some, Pentax is not surrendering when they use methods which have lifted Canon in the DSLR wars. Sometimes going a different direction is a good strategy, but other times following a successful example works better.

added: I'm not saying that either of the two comments above is what Pentax will do or should do; I'm saying that we should assume Pentax engineering {and perhaps even management} knows more than we do. Yelling "deal breaker" every time Pentax does something different is not a way to encourage Pentax to become the kind of brand it was nearly forty years ago when I purchased my first Pentax camera because of their well-earned reputation.

Last edited by reh321; 08-04-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added comment
08-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That has been a possibility for some time now. Canon has produced very good and successful products using plastics and in-lens motors, but "Pentax faithful" rebel any time someone suggests that Pentax do likewise. Contrary to the opinion of some, Pentax is not surrendering when they use methods which have lifted Canon in the DSLR wars. Sometimes going a different direction is a good strategy, but other times following a successful example works better.
From what I've gleaned while perusing the forum, most users who have expressed an opinion on the subject want in-lens motors, as long as they are reliable. My concern is that when Pentax does something offbeat - fun, even - the Pentax Peanut Gallery grouses. Brightly colored cameras (you can still buy black), the brick K-01 (more retro than given credit for), LEDs on the K-S1 (turn 'em off)... this leads to seemingly endless harping by Defenders of the Photographic Faith. One doesn't have to embrace quirkiness, but it can at least be tolerated. And a little experimenting is surely better than sitting on one's hands - right, Nikon?

QuoteQuote:
added: I'm not saying that either of the two comments above is what Pentax will do or should do; I'm saying that we should assume Pentax engineering {and perhaps even management} knows more than we do. Yelling "deal breaker" every time Pentax does something different is not a way to encourage Pentax to become the kind of brand it was nearly forty years ago when I purchased my first Pentax camera because of their well-earned reputation.
I have no doubt that engineering and management know more than we do, but that doesn't necessarily translate to forward thinking . And I completely agree with you that we need to be more constructive and encouraging. Given how small the Pentax user base is, there is an opportunity, perhaps, to have a more personal bond with the marque than with some other camera brands.
08-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's not it. Ricoh is not able to keep up with technological developments fast enough. Specifically AF performance, but also things like touch screen connectivity (cumbersome) video (not using sr for it) and general processing/operating speed of the camera. Tech is just moving too fast for Ricoh. It makes it very hard to attract new customers. Even an innovative product like the Theta takes too long to get up to speed with 4k. Most of it is down to software development. Hardware can be bought but implementing it in a camera so it works good as a package is hard. Ricoh makes good camera's but they are at least two to four years behind the competition in terms of technological advancements. The only area where Ricoh is up to speed is image processing.
08-05-2017, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

2 years behind in a few areas? -maybe-

4 years behind? Stop with the hyperbole.

I bought my first DSLR, a k10d, during the great Ritz shutdown of 2009. That was during the Hoya era, and lots of people were saying 2-4 years behind back then too, especially when talking about AF performance. Guess what! It's 8 years later, and Pentax is still around. If the AF performance is really that bad, then clearly there areenough people that don't give a flying F--- about AF performance to keep the brand going. Also, people were taking excellent photos using AF on all four major brands back then, and they have all advanced since then, so where is the problem? I'm perfectly willing to accept that $7,000 Canons and Nikons have better AF than a $1,500 Pentax. That doesn't bother me one bit. As long as the Pentax has good AF performance for my needs, I'm happy. My k10d had pretty good AF to me, and I can't imagine that a body developed 8 years later wouldn't be better. I'm also willing to bet that dollar for dollar AF is a lot more consistent across brands than most people would admit. I currently have a Canon sl1, and it occasionally screws up on focus too. That doesn't mean it's terrible, just not infallible. So let's stop talking about how "behind" Pentax is, because it's basically a crap argument. 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the performance difference between a 2015 smartphone and a 2017 smartphone, and that industry is advancing by leaps and bounds compared to the DSLR industry.

The KP is a pretty unique, exciting camera in an industry that has become very dull, and it's like that largely because it draws well from the past. That's what we should spend our time talking about.

08-05-2017, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pretty much every camera available from every company people want the AF in a specific camera to be 2x (or more) better than what it can do (e.g. Nikon's D750/D810)
08-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the kind of photography I do, the KP is a dangerously good fit... No budget for it, but it sure would be a good buddy to my K3. :/
08-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I'd love to pick up a K-P at a closeout. But I'm thinking of the 30-50% off close out. Not the close out where they save me about the cost of the tax.
08-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd love to pick up a K-P at a closeout. But I'm thinking of the 30-50% off close out. Not the close out where they save me about the cost of the tax.

Interestingly the Henry's current price is competitive with the us prices.
08-07-2017, 02:35 PM - 4 Likes   #57
Adorama Camera Representative

It was an error........it should have read 'special' not 'close-out'

Apologies for any concerns this may have caused - I don't know who messed up here, but I do know who got it put right.
08-07-2017, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote

Apologies for any concerns this may have caused - I don't know who messed up here, but I do know who got it put right.
Helen to the rescue!

Will this stop the doom and gloomers? Probably not... I think some people will be happy when Pentax is gone - no competitor likes the value leader...
08-07-2017, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks Helen, that is awesome service that you follow up on these kinds of things, thanks!
Eric
08-07-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Woo! Woo! Helen Oster!

Hey, everybody...the KP LIVES! IT LIVES!!!

Steve