Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ebk go to Kieskeurig.nl type in your favorite Pentax model. Choose the shop you want to buy it from. No price differences whatsoever.

08-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
Bye bye ricoh pentax 😢
Now looking for a trustfull dslr compagnie 😰
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is this a problem for europeans if products can't be ordered for the US online site of Ricoh Imaging?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wonder why someone from Netherlands would make such a comment... because, you know, there's RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
My thoughts as well. Perhaps they don't know that their Pentax and the N. America Pentax are fairly separate from each other and even from Ricoh.

Steve
08-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My thoughts as well. Perhaps they don't know that their Pentax and the N. America Pentax are fairly separate from each other and even from Ricoh.

Steve
Not to be contrary, but this is a good sign. RIAC appears to be bringing certain functions that for years have been vendor supplied back in house.
08-08-2017, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Interesting way to update a website. I would be in trouble if I ever done that to our company site.

08-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Migration between two completely incompatible platforms - if that's what is happening - is usually far from being seamless.
08-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems to be a poor way to handle the transition if that is what it is. Smarter to post something like " Excuse our dust while we remodel our website. You can view and purchase the full line of Pentax products from our authorized dealers.." and then include the list for North America. Right now anyone new to the brand would be wondering if Pentax is even a going concern given the time span between June 29th and August 8th. It would have been better to not include the date. I've never been on the Pentax is doomed bandwagon, but this has me wondering...
08-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Right now anyone new to the brand would be wondering if Pentax is even a going concern given the time span between June 29th and August 8th. It would have been better to not include the date. I've never been on the Pentax is doomed bandwagon, but this has me wondering...
It feel the same for me.

08-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Seems to be a poor way to handle the transition if that is what it is. Smarter to post something like " Excuse our dust while we remodel our website. You can view and purchase the full line of Pentax products from our authorized dealers.." and then include the list for North America. Right now anyone new to the brand would be wondering if Pentax is even a going concern given the time span between June 29th and August 8th. It would have been better to not include the date. I've never been on the Pentax is doomed bandwagon, but this has me wondering...
Never assume they're incompetent.

My company has 275,000 workstations and legions of coders. They rolled out an app upgrade in our suite of integrated apps last month that crashed. It worked perfectly in limited test rollouts up to 25,000 machines.

For a month that request has returned a link that calls an old DOS display routine from 1986 runnning in a virtual window. Microsoft flew a team in last week and apparently they're having trouble fingering it out.

I literally see my client data on a non-integrated character-based screen and no one knows why.
08-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

My company has 275,000 workstations and legions of coders. They rolled out an app upgrade in our suite of integrated apps last month that crashed. It worked perfectly in limited test rollouts up to 25,000 machines.

For a month that request has returned a link that calls an old DOS display routine from 1986 runnning in a virtual window. Microsoft flew a team in last week and apparently they're having trouble fingering it out.

I literally see my client data on a non-integrated character-based screen and no one knows why.
Thank you for this story. I am sometimes very critical of programmers and their managers but it does get very complicated the more features that are stuffed into software, especially when dealing with ancient compatibility issues. Having DOS text showing up on a modern update is bizarre.

This is not quite the same as a web site migration but if Ricoh upper management has dictated ahead of time that they cannot spend ANY extra $$$ on this project, including any problems, then it may have run into a bumpy time. Similar to where I work now. Upper Management has dictated to my boss to not spend extra and I was tasked with having to choose a vendor to buy from because it was $10 cheaper!!! I don't like this kind of environment but I do remind myself that the owners are profitable in a thin margin business.
(joke is on me for staying there this long!)
08-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The depth of technical competence at the bottom is largely unknown as we go up the ladder.
There are even middle managers who report fake results in order to look good and get a stroke by their boss.
There is a saying "good pain on dirt looks good".

---------- Post added 09-08-17 at 05:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Upper Management has dictated to my boss to not spend extra and I was tasked with having to choose a vendor to buy from because it was $10 cheaper!!! I don't like this kind of environment but I do remind myself that the owners are profitable in a thin margin business.
CEOs do get fired for not showing positive numbers at the bottom line, but it takes a very long time for investors to figure that a company showing good quarterly profit is actually slowly losing market share for the years ahead.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-08-2017 at 08:50 PM.
08-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

This can happen when you continually update code and don't refactor periodically... over many many years it will bloat as each developer writes code a little differently. Not to mention the lack of documentation.

Try imagining a city where you have multiple road crews all with a different way of thinking on how the roads should be built... some think shoulders are nice, others do not. Some want a bike lane others want to use that same lane for HOV. Further others want cars to drive on the left hand side while others think right hand is fine. Some want lines so their lanes are nice and neat, others think whats the point. hahaha Yikes.

That is essentially what some of these really old, continually updated systems can look like code-wise. It becomes a spaghetti web mixed with find the needle in the haystack. I know first hand as I have worked on these systems... relics from the 80s that have been 'modernized' with new interfaces, addons in different languages, and a revolving door of programmers of varying laziness and skill... not to mention sometimes ridiculous timelines for hitting milestones.

That said, I was once given a full year. A. whole. year. ...to find out why the code was processing some data a certain way. Special mission since they considered me their best bet (haha poor them) at debugging. Even with a full year I wasn't able to discover the reason. I did find other stuff along the way that was helpful.. but it does show how complex some of this code can be, just logically with different paths for data to flow, mixed with decades of code additions, sloppy programming habits, and a ton of different cooks in the kitchen.
08-09-2017, 01:15 AM   #42
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Ebk go to Kieskeurig.nl type in your favorite Pentax model. Choose the shop you want to buy it from. No price differences whatsoever.

for me Pentax time is over.
my trust in Pentax is 0,00.
after a couple of survey's no answers
Pentax keep's on studying.
Pentax can't keep on with the other dslr makers,
mirrorless camera's compact camera's etc. etc.
08-09-2017, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my trust in Pentax is 0,00.
after a couple of survey's no answers
Pentax keep's on studying.
Pentax can't keep on with the other dslr makers,
mirrorless camera's compact camera's etc. etc.
Well that's a personal decision - we all have our own breaking point. For me, though the rate of progress is slower than I would like, I also know that the last two Pentax items I bought, The K-1 and the D-FA* 70-200 are amongst the best pieces of kit I've bought in 30+ years with Pentax: I think they have earned credit and time, whatever the final outcome.
08-09-2017, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Then it is time to move on. You will not achieve anything by complaining about YOUR disappointment with Pentax, which was caused by YOUR expectations in the first place.
08-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I wasn't intimating that they are incompetent. I was expressing concern that in the internet age they currently have no
internet presence in North America. Whether it is incompetence, technical challenges beyond their control, or a decision to not deploy perhaps scarce resources in this market, I have no idea. The outcome though is that anyone new to Pentax cannot find a website for their North American operations that touts their products, informs where to get warranty service, or makes available manuals and firmware updates. If I were considering Pentax for the first time, I would move on to another brand that at least has a functional website.
Closed Thread