Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Just found out the Spotmatic is discontinued!
He who panics first, panics best!

08-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No!

Steve

(...that felt good...may I have another?)
08-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No!

Steve

(...that felt good...may I have another?)

the k1000 has been discontinued
08-06-2017, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
the k1000 has been discontinued
Dang, I've been saving up for one of those for about 40 years. Almost had enough saved, now I guess I will just buy Nikon.

08-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
Pentax Nihil*ist
Thread Winner!
08-07-2017, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can we discontinue trolls ?
08-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

They are just facilitating the Pentax is Doomed™ crowd.

08-07-2017, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Sure, fine, joke about it. But it wasn't a laughing matter when I looked in my camera bag this morning and there was an empty spot where my K-1 used to be. Sad!

I left it on the kitchen counter. Oopsie!
08-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Sure, fine, joke about it. But it wasn't a laughing matter when I looked in my camera bag this morning and there was an empty spot where my K-1 used to be. Sad!

You should have rushed right out and bought another K1 that would have doubled Ricoh Pentax sales and saved them!!!

08-07-2017, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

The K-1 never existed - I thought we already established that!
The Pentax K-1 is the Charles Herman of the photographic world.

Last edited by Kunzite; 08-07-2017 at 06:10 AM.
08-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote

The "Mind of Minolta" reprogrammed you, you only thought that you owned a K-1....
08-07-2017, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

My Spotmatic was discontinued by a broken shutter. After I put in a new one it lasted less than a year. The technician explained the shutter groove in the body was worn, so new shutters just weren't going to last very long. Then it got really discontinued.

But I have always wondered why people see "discontinued" marked on a web site and freak out. It's not like you can't still by them long after they are officially discontinued. And all discontinued usually means is "we are about to release a new upgraded model." I usually don't see that as a bad thing. I loved it when I found my SMC DA*200 in a close out. That saved me 100 bucks for a lens I would have paid full price for. I assumed they are making way for a new HD version, personally, SMC is good enough for me. I was happy to get the "discontinued" discount and avoid the price hike on a possible HD version.

The only time I actually care about "discontinued" is if, it's "Discontinued" and they are selling off existing stock at 50% off. Otherwise discontinued is often just matter of store policy and not worth paying attention to. IF there's nothing in it for me, I don't care what's discontinued. I only need one, and I'll be able to find it, whatever it is.

Incidentally look at this page...
Digital Camera Lenses - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma | Henry's Camera - Henry's best camera store in Canada : Origin

You'll see the Sigma 8-16 listed. It was apparently discontinued more than 2 years ago. SO what exactly does discontinued mean? It doesn't mean you can't buy one, it doesn't mean it's any different than it was before it was discontinued. It doesn't even mean you can't find it in a store. It means if you want a new one, you only have a few months (or years) to pony up.

But for those of you wondering about why Sigma doesn't support Pentax, 2 years after Sigma discontinued the 8-16, Sigma Canada still has stock. And they would have shipped that stock anywhere in the world if someone had asked for it. Look at successful companies like Apple who build your product the day you order it and you can see the problem. Apple is successful by reducing the "inventory in stock" pipeline. Every modern company is trying to do the same. Two years after it's discontinued Sigma Canada s still carrying Pentax stock. That's has to really upset the company managers.

But I do wish they still had some FF 12-24s. Upsetting as that might be for them.
08-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But for those of you wondering about why Sigma doesn't support Pentax, 2 years after Sigma discontinued the 8-16, Sigma Canada still has stock. And they would have shipped that stock anywhere in the world if someone had asked for it. Look at successful companies like Apple who build your product the day you order it and you can see the problem. Apple is successful by reducing the "inventory in stock" pipeline. Every modern company is trying to do the same. Two years after it's discontinued Sigma Canada s still carrying Pentax stock. That's has to really upset the company managers.
I'd say you nailed it. Sigma doesn't make new K-mount lenses because we're not buying - and Ricoh Imaging bribing them (as has been suggested, tough not exactly in these words) would only result in more Sigma stocks, and both companies wasting money.
By the way, I never bought a Sigma lens.
08-07-2017, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Everytime there is an item that shows up discontinued or closeout, a new thread is spawned!
I heartily agree. Panic should be discontinued.
08-07-2017, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Wait, is 'panic' discontinued? I feel anxiety just thinking about it... must open a new thread!