Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #31

A few years back B&H marked the OEM Pentax M42 adapter as discontinued. They even sent out emails saying the "General Brand" adapter was the replacement. Then several months later it shows up in stock on many sites including B&H to sell out quickly and shown as out-of-stock. There after to show up in-stock one or two times a year and selling out quickly. That is until the price shot up over $40. Now it seems to always be in stock.

08-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd rather a discontinue panic than a panicky discontinuance.
08-07-2017, 07:38 AM - 5 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Everytime there is an item that shows up discontinued or closeout, a new thread is spawned!
Douglas Adam's would be proud of this thread title. I love it!

I think we have all gotten a little sensitive to any comments that could be perceived as a negative, even if that is not the intent. Personally, on the other thread, I was just looking for some corroboration that we might be able to cash in on a cheap KP if they were releasing the K3III soon and other stores started clearing out the KP too.

This is a rumors forum for people to have an outlet and joke around and sometimes get some serious dirt about what's coming without cluttering up the content of the other sub-forums...speculation comes with the territory here.

We need to take a breath and remind ourselves that everything that isn't glowing praise isn't a smear campaign or insult either. LLRP! (Long Live Ricoh Pentax!)

For the skittish that run to the classifieds forum to sell their gear to switch to brand XYZ every time there is a less than glowing bit of news, well, I've gotten some awesome deals and sweet gear over there...Thanks!!!... and many of those people end up coming back to RP after finding out the grass isn't greener, nor more ergonomic. Tis' the cycle.

I'm donning my Peril Sensitive Sunglasses before reading any more replies.

Eric
08-07-2017, 07:45 AM - 4 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Douglas Adam's would be proud of this thread title. I love it!

Eric
LOL!

Do those come a 49 mm filter size? Then I could put them on my Takumar lenses.

(P.S. If Pentax is DOOOMED, then Takumar is screwed!)

08-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #35
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Gotta love the FUD Merchants.
Not really...
08-07-2017, 08:57 AM - 6 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I have a homemade pair. They protect from all sorts of visual hazards, subliminal messages, propaganda, text-based trolling, and also sunlight. They pretty much eliminate all panic, or at least reduce it to very manageable levels.

08-07-2017, 09:05 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I have a homemade pair. They protect from all sorts of visual hazards, subliminal messages, propaganda, text-based trolling, and also sunlight. They pretty much eliminate all panic, or at least reduce it to very manageable levels.
I guess that corner sharpness is not an issue.

08-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They are just facilitating the Pentax is Doomed™ crowd.
That is their purpose and it is not good to deny people their purpose.

Steve
08-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And all discontinued usually means is "we are about to release a new upgraded model."
There is the crux. Anxiety is created when people agonize over whether to purchase the outgoing at a great price or wait for the long-awaited feature that "might" be on the replacement for hundreds of dollars more. The creation of the anxiety is why "discontinued" rumors are a form of trolling, a means to spread the contagion of uncertainty and discontent.

Steve
08-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A few years back B&H marked the OEM Pentax M42 adapter as discontinued. They even sent out emails saying the "General Brand" adapter was the replacement. Then several months later it shows up in stock on many sites including B&H to sell out quickly and shown as out-of-stock. There after to show up in-stock one or two times a year and selling out quickly. That is until the price shot up over $40. Now it seems to always be in stock.
Consider the ongoing saga of the FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2. The FA 35/2 was "discontinued" on B&H several times before officially "dying" in the Americas and Europe only to magically reappear a few years later, dying again, and appearing again at almost double the previous price. The FA 50/1.4 was not quite so dramatic, though it too saw a demise, resurrection, and an increase in price.

Steve
08-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

News flash! A former discontinue has been reversed! The KP LIVES!!! IT LIVES!!!

KP on Closeout at Adorama?! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Steve
08-07-2017, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

For what it's worth.

My discontinued K5 is now almost 6 years old and going strong. My discontinued K10D is 10 years old and still gets used as a second body and a home for my MF glass. I get a lot of mileage out of my camera gear. I really don't care what model is "discontinued" at any point in time as long as I can replace my current camera with something else if the need arises. Pentax cameras are pretty durable. My K5 has survived 2 motorcycle crashes, rain, snow, and all the abuse I can throw at it. I will expect equal long life from my next Pentax, whatever that soon to be discontinued model ends up being.

BTW, I still have my SP1000. It's 41 and still working. I guess it doesn't know it's "discontinued". Some discontinued company named "Honeywell" has their name engraved on the front. In Pentaxland, even owners and distributers get discontinued.
08-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

You're welcome!
08-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
then Takumar is screwed
Most of mine are screwed, and I hope the one on its way is too...17mm FE(just happens to be attached to a Spotmatic,LONG time since ive fondled one of them)
08-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Most of mine are screwed, and I hope the one on its way is too...
IIRC any M42 Takumar that isn't screwed is an uncoated Takumar Bayonet and commonly regarded as... well, you know. A similar word, implying not all that good.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is their purpose and it is not good to deny people their purpose.
It is when the purpose is intrinsically and deliberately dysfunctional or hurtful. Those people can rot in hell.