Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For once, the Google translation comes out quite comprehensible! I found this a very interesting interview. It's always interesting to see how much thought goes into just one feature.

Spacial sound is one feature they demonstrated at CP+ earlier this year. I'm trying to remember the face of the person who was explaining it to me, but I don't think it was either of these guys. The demonstration was with headphones, but without a VR headset, so I didn't get the full effect. There was a recording of a boxer training, and I was able to move the view around with a mouse and hear her hitting a punchbag from different directions. I asked if it required a special microphone array and he said it did, so I was kind of expecting an add-on would be required. In any case, I could really see how it would add to the experience of VR videos.

One other interesting thing about this interview is the short bios at the bottom of the screen. Neither of these people are mentioned as Ricoh imaging, and this aligns with the other interviews I've read in the past. In fact, when you look at past press releases, such as the Theta S, you see phrases like this "Ricoh Imaging will market the RICOH THETA S, which was developed and manufactured by Ricoh."

These bios go on to say that the engineers also work on the electronics and UI of the GR, so it looks to me like there is still a division between the Ricoh and Pentax teams. I know that they Pentax employees were moved into the same Ricoh facility in Ota ward last April, because it was mentioned in an interview in Asahi camera magazine last September, but they don't seem to be working for the same entity. I kind of like this idea, because it keeps the distinctive nature of Ricoh and Pentax products.

By the way, I saw a Miku version of the Theta yesterday in Ricoh Imaging Square in Shinjuku in a display case. It's a cool colour - very bright. They had some manga-style marketing materials. I guess they want to raise awareness of Theta with people outside the normal photography crowd. That's probably why they exhibited Theta as the Tokyo Game Show last year as well.

11-24-2017, 11:06 PM - 2 Likes   #32
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For anyone on the fence about the Miku Hatsune version of Theta , here is a review of it. including the reviewer's "VR date" with Miku. It is pretty weird.

?????????????VR????!? ???360????????????????? - AV Watch

I suppose you have to give Ricoh some credit for an original application of technology. It looks like the app is somewhat aware of objects in the scene and can place the character behind things. Having done this once, it strikes me that they could make versions with all kinds of characters. If there is one thing Japan has no shortage of, it's cartoon characters.