Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
normhead, what's the price of a silver D850?
It is expressed in ounces of Gold. .

08-28-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #182
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Why do people ask me to put prices on things that are figments of their imagination, right after i chastise other folks for discussing imaginary things? Keep it real folks. The chance that these things will wander from your imaginations to my imagination intact are remote.

What I care about is what i can buy what for. Discussing the prices of imaginary configurations of technology is useless. If Pentax doesn't offer a Silver Pentax K-1 without the grip, there is no price for it, because it doesn't exist. If Nikon doesn't offer a silver D850 there is no price for it, because it doesn't exist.

Let's not waste time discussing such things.
08-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
For what?
Balance. Have you tried the 200-400 sans grip rotating to portrait or even tracking? For those operations you really need the grip, and you buy the D850 to use that type of glass. That's the point.
08-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why do people ask me to put prices on things that are figments of their imagination, right after i chastise other folks for discussing imaginary things? Keep it real folks. The chance that these things will wander from your imaginations to my imagination intact are remote.

What I care about is what i can buy what for. Discussing the prices of imaginary configurations of technology is useless. If Pentax doesn't offer a Silver Pentax K-1 without the grip, there is no price for it, because it doesn't exist. If Nikon doesn't offer a silver D850 there is no price for it, because it doesn't exist.

Let's not waste time discussing such things.
We do that to make a point: there is no silver D850. But there is a cheaper black K-1 - it was available for more than a year.
If you want to make a fair comparison, you'd go with black-vs-black (and no grip). If you don't want to make a fair comparison but to make Pentax appear more expensive than it is, you'd compare a Limited edition Silver K-1 + grip to a black D850, body only.

08-28-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We do that to make a point: there is no silver D850. But there is a cheaper black K-1 - it was available for more than a year.
If you want to make a fair comparison, you'd go with black-vs-black (and no grip). If you don't want to make a fair comparison but to make Pentax appear more expensive than it is, you'd compare a Limited edition Silver K-1 + grip to a black D850, body only.
Or if all you care about is what you can buy, you'd do what i did. if you want to do endless comparisons of imaginary scenarios, you could be going for weeks. But, don't let me stop you. Next I'll reinforce real world thinking by comparing the K-5 i sold to a dealer for 100 bucks to a Nikon D850. It's like 3000% more. Now are you happy? Does Pentax look better?
08-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Wow. You switched from an unfair comparison to downright personal attacks.
What I said was that if you compare prices, it should be black body-only K-1 vs. black body-only D850; I'm not proposing any other comparison. Don't make up lies about my (supposed) intentions.
08-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #187
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Balance. Have you tried the 200-400 sans grip rotating to portrait or even tracking? For those operations you really need the grip, and you buy the D850 to use that type of glass. That's the point.
How many Nikon's amateurs have such lenses?

If we talk about pro-shooter, the price of equipment is secondary thing and the price of battery grip is really low for them.
We discuss the price K-1 Silver and D850 from absolutely different point of view.
08-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Could be but Canon is showing similar battery life as Pentax
Basically, a K1 drain the battery without taking any shot in about 5 hours. I've already shot 1500 shots with my K1 in less than 2 hours on 1 battery fully charged in the morning just before shooting. But I can tell you, the K1 was hot.

Battery life can be increased by optimizing standby current which can be turned to nearly zero when the camera is idle. But, when they sell a grip as option, why would they optimize the downtime consumption on a DSLR.
Nikon have done it on the D850 because they've limited the FPS and sell the grip with more FPS.

08-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How many Nikon's amateurs have such lenses?

If we talk about pro-shooter, the price of equipment is secondary thing and the price of battery grip is really low for them.
We discuss the price K-1 Silver and D850 from absolutely different point of view.
If you are spending that much on a body, you're there for the whole kit including big glass and grip accessories; amateur or pro. Either you already have the glass and are looking for the body, or you're going in whole hog on the entirety. So the only realistic price comparison is for both with grips as the target market is more than likely to acquire that tool.
08-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand the arguments.

This is a limited edition camera. As such, it has an inflated price without any other features than cosmetic differences. As such, I wouldn't particularly compare its price to non-limited edition cameras. It isn't like it has any extra specifications other than it comes with an extra battery and grip.

But why people who aren't going to buy a limited edition camera fret about it and its cost is beyond me. Clearly Pentax has sold these sorts of cameras before and has turned a profit. I won't buy one, but there are a lot of other things I won't buy as well -- it won't get me to criticize companies for producing such products or the people who actually buy them.
08-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #191
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

I don't buy those special edition coin sets from the mint where the coins come in cases you aren't supposed to open and you pay 25$ for 15$ worth of coins, but some people do. It's kind of like people buying practical items for investment purposes.

Think how nice that Silver edition would look on your shelf in 20 years. That's gotta be worth something?

There's nothing stopping those who are shooters from also being collectors. Be the first one on your block to own a K-1 special edition silver body.
08-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Actually, it's barely more expensive, and that's only because the black is available cheaper.
Pentax K-1 black, body only: $1,896.95 at B&H, $1949.95 at Ricoh's webstore
Battery grip BG6: $200.08 B&H, $249.95 at Ricoh's webstore
Extra battery: $43.99 B&H, 59.95 at Ricoh's webstore (I could be wrong, but I don't think the BG6 comes with a battery)
Total: $2,141.02 B&H, $2,259.85 Ricoh's webstore.

Pentax K-1 silver: $2199.95 (at Ricoh's webstore)
08-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't buy those special edition coin sets from the mint where the coins come in cases you aren't supposed to open and you pay 25$ for 15$ worth of coins, but some people do. It's kind of like people buying practical items for investment purposes.

Think how nice that Silver edition would look on your shelf in 20 years. That's gotta be worth something?

There's nothing stopping those who are shooters from also being collectors. Be the first one on your block to own a K-1 special edition silver body.
I don't think it is an investment. It is very slightly more expensive if you are going buy a grip and an extra Pentax brand battery. Kunzite's numbers are correct -- 2141 for that package if you are buying all the items separately from B and H, 2199 for all of that with the silver and black model. That's 50 dollars more for different styling.

And you know what? It isn't for you if (a) you don't like the way it looks (b) think 50 dollars is too much to pay for that styling or (c) weren't planning on getting a grip and an extra battery.
08-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #194
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think it is an investment. It is very slightly more expensive if you are going buy a grip and an extra Pentax brand battery. Kunzite's numbers are correct -- 2141 for that package if you are buying all the items separately from B and H, 2199 for all of that with the silver and black model. That's 50 dollars more for different styling.

And you know what? It isn't for you if (a) you don't like the way it looks (b) think 50 dollars is too much to pay for that styling or (c) weren't planning on getting a grip and an extra battery.
I would certainly pay an extra 50 bucks for the silver, if i could get it without the grip and I was actually looking to buy a K-1. But I have a K-1 and you can't get it without the grip, so it's all moot on two points. Is there someone out there who is actually going to buy this, or do we just think it is a good idea?

I'm trying to complete a profile of who might buy such thing and I'm not getting any data.

We need a poll.

1. Would you buy it if you were shopping for a K-1?

2. Would you buy it just because your K-1 is so cool you want to buy it a special buddy to sit beside it on the shelf.

2a, Are you going to buy it and sell your current K-1.

2b Are you going to buy it and sell your current K-3.

3. Would you buy it hoping to sell it for more money later.

4.You wouldn't buy it.

If people could include age and income in their answers so i can do a complete breakdown of the numbers that would be appreciated. All answers will be treated with strict confidentiality, until i decide to call you out on line and insult everyone you know, your family and cast aspersions at your ancestors.

Last edited by normhead; 08-28-2017 at 12:33 PM.
08-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #195
Pentaxian

The only problem I see with this bundle is that few of us have large silver lenses.
Besides this, it's only a matter of taste.