Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That steel shelf looks better than the silver finish on the camera itself.

08-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #137
Pentaxian

I have the same problem with the silver KP. Black looks better.
08-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #138
JPT
Pentaxian

It seems that Ricoh are considerably less up-tight about the colour and image of their products than some users are. From Ricoh Japan's Twitter.

The thing is they only need to find 2,000 people who prefer the silver edition, and everyone else can get the black version. In the case of the K-1, I think I prefer the black version, but if I was getting a KP, I'd get silver. I think they'll sell these fairly quickly, and then they might follow up with a *Limited Gunmetal* or something else in future.

I do wonder what they will do for a special edition KP. It came out in black and silver from the start, but they could do something interesting with the interchangeable grip, like an LX-style wooden one.
08-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The thing is they only need to find 2,000 people who prefer the silver edition
It says 'Limited Edition'. Even if it only had a different strap, there would be 2000 people in the world who would want it, for that label alone.

08-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #140
Pentaxian

It seems that Ricoh are considerably less up-tight about the colour and image of their products than some users are. From Ricoh Japan's Twitter.
Perhaps the Japanese are considerably less up-tight?
You should know better, given your location - please feel free to take this as a question.
08-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the latest poop on when the silver K-1 will be available for pre-order in the US?
08-26-2017, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #142
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps the Japanese are considerably less up-tight?
You should know better, given your location - please feel free to take this as a question.
I find that question difficult, because I normally try to avoid make in generalizations about the Japanese or any other nationality. What I would say from observations is this.

You see a lot of crazy, eccentric advertising in Japan compared to other countries I know. You only have to switch on Japanese TV for a while to see that. So it seems that Japanese companies know that customers respond well to a certain degree of silliness.

You see a lot more variety of cameras in people’s hands in Japan than overseas. People are more likely to be using the minor brands, colored cameras and niche items, like the GR and Sigma DP series. I don’t think there are many Japanese photographers who are image-conscious about what their choice of equipment says about them as a photographer.

On the other hand, you can find many cases where the Japanese take things very seriously, particularly in terms of social and business manners. Ultimately, photography is a hobby for most people, so it doesn't really come into that.

The best way to find out is to travel here, and if you are interested in photography and don’t mind winter, CP+ is a pretty good time to do that.

08-27-2017, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #143
JPT
Pentaxian

Just thought I'd grab a screenshot of this while it lasts. This is the DSLR bestseller list at Yodobashi Camera (a leading Japanese electronics store) on August 28.

Looks like some people are keen to get their order in before it sells out.
08-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Just thought I'd grab a screenshot of this while it lasts. This is the DSLR bestseller list at Yodobashi Camera (a leading Japanese electronics store) on August 28.

Looks like some people are keen to get their order in before it sells out.
Man, the D850 is only 33% more than the K-1. The technology is pretty astounding, but bottom line, value at a better price wins out over better tech at a higher price in the overall scheme of things. Even if the K-1 is made by a small brand with a market share that done in 5% increments rounds down to zero.
08-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #145
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man, the D850 is only 33% more than the K-1. The technology is pretty astounding, but bottom line, value at a better price wins out over better tech at a higher price in the overall scheme of things. Even if the K-1 is made by a small brand with a market share that done in 5% increments rounds down to zero.
I think the sense of scarcity of a limited edition makes people put there orders in more quickly. Also the K-1 is a known quality, so there's no sense in waiting for reviews before you order. It might seem mean to say this, but I think Nikon users have been conditioned to wait until they are sure the camera is clear of quality issues in the last few years. I think there will be quite a few silver FA Limited users who will consider this to be just the camera they've been waiting for. Look next week and the D850 will be still there while the K-1 Silver will be nowhere in sight, but it's still it's kind of nice to see it, even only momentarily.
08-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Don't forget to add approximately 43000 Yen to the price of the D850 to include a battery grip.
08-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #147
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Don't forget to add approximately 43000 Yen to the price of the D850 to include a battery grip.
No need. D850 could make 1840 shots without grip. 5140 shots with grip.
K-1 can't do 1840 shots with battery grip.

Last edited by ogl; 08-27-2017 at 09:58 AM.
08-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #148
Pentaxian

OK, let's go Nikon
08-27-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
OK, let's go Nikon
Someone will still be on PF complaining.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-28-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Individual user name removed.
08-27-2017, 11:42 AM - 6 Likes   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-1 can't do 1840 shots with battery grip.
Maybe because the Pentax user doesn't need to take 1840 shots to get a decent result.