Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 03:18 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any official data- I doubt if there is any released. But from my own usage of Pentax cameras on events, there is significant difference in power consumption when shake reduction and lcd display is disabled. Around 20%. I was able few times to exceed 600 shots on my K-30 before there was no juice in one LI109 battery, when SR was on, I never did over 500 shots, documentation default value for this model was around 480 pictures per battery pack.

08-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #167
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
and some others......
It's strange that the info about 1840 shots of D850 is took as Pentax bashing...

It will be real problem if somebody talk about AF system of D5 vs K-1...Big VF and no AF are real freedom.
08-28-2017, 03:28 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Did you ever hear that it's real to have more than 36 shots inside cassette? If to use film bobbin and to load the cassette by myself?
There's an upper limit of 250 (give or take a few) for an SLR, if you have the right gear. But even then, it can't compete with digital.
08-28-2017, 03:34 AM   #169
Pentaxian

Did you ever hear that it's real to have more than 36 shots inside cassette? If to use film bobbin and to load the cassette by myself?
The LX' large capacity magazine allows you 250 exposures. Thus, 4 film changes to get the 760 frames. And those 760 frames are with all the modern facilities of a K-1... winder, autofocus, image preview and even processing...
By the way, are you actually using a large capacity magazine?

You're not convincing anyone with this.

08-28-2017, 03:34 AM   #170
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There's an upper limit of 250 (give or take a few) for an SLR, if you have the right gear. But even then, it can't compete with digital.
I have no plan to compete
08-28-2017, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I just don't get why anyone would want to spend their lives being needlessly negative about something so silly as a choice of camera when, let's face it, they all do the same thing in various, but all more-or-less successful, ways - I also don't get the logic in arguing that a poorer performance can be excused as long as you can find a worse one to compare it to. Especially if you need to compare apples and potatoes to do so.

The battery life is shorter on the K-1. So what? They both work fine. Who cares, move on, buy a spare battery, or buy a Nikon, or a disposible, or a phone, or get a box of large format and a pinhole camera. Just take photos and have fun. Life is way too short to worry about milliamps and Watt hours and who think what about which product.
08-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #172
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote

The battery life is shorter on the K-1. So what?
The discussion started from posts about K-1 Limited and D850's prices, one user said that it would be necessary to add battery grip price to the price of body D850. But it's no any sense, because of D850 has powerful battery.

08-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #173

Would it be possible for you to get back on topic? It's frustrating to search for valuable information on the silver K-1 when most parts of the conversation is about Nikon or battery power.
08-28-2017, 06:02 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax has a 7.2v 1860mAh (14Wh) battery. Nikon has a 7.0v 1900mAh (14Wh) battery. Almost the same. Yet Nikon gets more than double the shots out of it. How so? I think Nikon has tuned their camera's for CIPA testing.
I suspect Nikon has what MFT cameras have which is a quick power down feature when the eye is not at the VF and he screen is set to quick off. this limits start-up time a bit. That and lack of in-body SR which likely counts for 20-30% of the difference.

ogl, with many Nikon FF lenses you need the grip, so the cost delta between the D850 and K-1 grows considerably.

The battery efficiency is probably not a major sales impediment as the price delta is still substantial and that is an acceptable trade-off for those looking for value over pure spec.
08-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #175
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

ogl, with many Nikon FF lenses you need the grip, so the cost delta between the D850 and K-1 grows considerably.
For what?
08-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #176
Pentaxian

If you don't need the grip, and you don't want a silver-black camera, then you'd go for the black K-1.
08-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need. D850 could make 1840 shots without grip. 5140 shots with grip.
K-1 can't do 1840 shots with battery grip.
I don't use a grip for battery life, I use it for ergonomics.

Anyway, my point was more a matter of apples-to-apples comparison, since Normhead was comparing the price of the D850 without a grip to the K-1 Limited with the grip.
08-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't use a grip for battery life, I use it for ergonomics.

Anyway, my point was more a matter of apples-to-apples comparison, since Normhead was comparing the price of the D850 without a grip to the K-1 Limited with the grip.

What's the price of the silver K-1 without the grip? I won't use the grip and don't want it taking up space in my lens cabinet. So actually, I'm comparing what you can buy one for to what you can buy the other for. Not some imaginary scenario where I can buy the K-1 silver without the grip, which is a scenario relevant to absolutely no one, as, is just not a thing. At least i was comparing real apples to real oranges, as opposed to imaginary apples with real oranges.
08-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What's the price of the silver K-1 without the grip? I won't use the grip and don't want it taking up space in my lens cabinet. So actually, I'm comparing what you can buy one for to what you can buy the other for. Not some imaginary scenario where I can buy the K-1 silver without the grip, which is a scenario relevant to absolutely no one, as, is just not a thing. At least i was comparing real apples to real oranges, as opposed to imaginary apples with real oranges.
In that case, you should compare the price of the D850 with the standard K-1 sans grip, instead of a limited edition K-1 with an inflated price due to "exclusivity".
08-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #180
Pentaxian

normhead, what's the price of a silver D850?