Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 01:06 PM - 3 Likes   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would certainly pay an extra 50 bucks for the silver, if i could get it without the grip and I was actually looking to buy a K-1. But I have a K-1 and you can't get it without the grip, so it's all moot on two points. Is there someone out there who is actually going to buy this, or do we just think it is a good idea?

I'm trying to complete a profile of who might buy such thing and I'm not getting any data.

We need a poll.

1. Would you buy it if you were shopping for a K-1?

2. Would you buy it just because your K-1 is so cool you want to buy it a special buddy to sit beside it on the shelf.

2a, Are you going to buy it and sell your current K-1.

2b Are you going to buy it and sell your current K-3.

3. Would you buy it hoping to sell it for more money later.

4.You wouldn't buy it.

If people could include age and income in their answers so i can do a complete breakdown of the numbers that would be appreciated. All answers will be treated with strict confidentiality, until i decide to call you out on line and insult everyone you know, your family and cast aspersions at your ancestors.
We've established already that it won't be for everyone, which is fortunate because there are apparently only 2000 being made. We've further established that you won't buy it (you already have a K-1 and you don't like the way it looks and you don't need a grip).

That said, if 2000 people globally like the way it looks and have the money for it, then Pentax won't lose any money on this production run.

Either way, it probably doesn't matter to your or me.

08-28-2017, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

Nicely put !

But it still would be good for all of us that the 2000 units would sell qwickly !
08-29-2017, 05:30 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I get older, I find my eyes struggling with white writing on black, so the silver has some appeal from this standpoint - looks like the mode and function dials have a silver background with black lettering. But I already have a K1, and I'd rather buy another one of the new D FA lenses or the next APS-C flagship (still like crop for birding and other distant subjects) than a second one just to have the silver. If I was just buying now, I'd have to take a hard look at it. Plus it would look neat with my CZJ Biotar or my vintage zebra stripped Myer Optik Gorlitz. And to touch on other thoughts in this thread, no, you don't have to be a pro to enjoy nice aka expensive lenses or high end cameras. After spending a good chunk of my life wishing bird pictures showed more than a tiny spec (think ME Super and 75-150), I have zero regret on my K3II and D FA 150-450 purchase. Sometimes it's nice to have "pro" gear for home use, so regardless of Nikon or Pentax, it makes complete sense that if someone is investing in top of the line bodies, they will invest in top of the line glass, and besides, what would be the point of the best body a manufacturer can offer with an entry level kit lens?

Last edited by clickclick; 08-29-2017 at 07:45 AM.
08-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
We've established already that it won't be for everyone, which is fortunate because there are apparently only 2000 being made. We've further established that you won't buy it (you already have a K-1 and you don't like the way it looks and you don't need a grip).

That said, if 2000 people globally like the way it looks and have the money for it, then Pentax won't lose any money on this production run.

Either way, it probably doesn't matter to your or me.
But I'd still be interested in finding out what the demographics is that will buy it. They can't all be guys like me who would buy it if i was actually looking for a camera, but don't want to go out of my way to get it. I'm guessing guys who already have silver lenses myself, but I need data.

08-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #200

Wow, discussion is (always) drifting away from the core topic. No need to compare between K-1 silver edition with Nikon D850. It is a special edition, only 2000 available. There are enough buyers here in Japan, Call it crazy.... but yes they do exist, group of wealthy people who love to collect special edition like this.

For example I am really looking Pentax K-S1 special edition like this (Special Edition Pentax K-S1 Trio Announced), I want to have pink color for my kid. But, I have never found any. It looks like the Japanese buy, and keep it forever.
08-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
As I get older, I find my eyes struggling with white writing on black, so the silver has some appeal from this standpoint - looks like the mode dial has a silver background with black lettering. But I already have a K1, and I'd rather buy another one of the new D FA lenses or the next APS-C flagship (still like crop for birding and other distant subjects) than a second one just to have the silver. If I was just buying now, I'd have to take a hard look at it. Plus it would look neat with my CZJ Biotar or my vintage zebra stripped Myer Optik Gorlitz. And to touch on other thoughts in this thread, no, you don't have to be a pro to enjoy nice aka expensive lenses or high end cameras. After spending a good chunk of my life wishing bird pictures showed more than a tiny spec (think ME Super and 75-150), I have zero regret on my K3II and D FA 150-450 purchase. Sometimes it's nice to have "pro" gear for home use, so regardless of Nikon or Pentax, it makes complete sense that if someone is investing in top of the line bodies, they will invest in top of the line glass, and besides, what would be the point of the best body a manufacturer can offer with an entry level kit lens?
It's amazing how the K-1 brings older lenses to life. Whether or not the older lenses will be as good as the new DFAs, I personally doubt it. But the old FAs and F lenses still produce a better image on a K-1 than they did on APS-c. I'm not so sure about the top of the line glass. Many of us just wanted better use of our old glass. I own't be adding anymore ƒ2.8 glass, so i Pentax wants to sell me DFA lenses they'd be wise to release some variable aperture or ƒ4 lenses, because quite honestly, I'm quite impressed with lenses like my FA 35-80 on the K-1.

The thing with the D850 is it's currently perceived by many to be the best compromise for the wildlife landscape/shooter. Can you really be happy with what you bought if you don't compare it to what you could have bought. For me, the 24 MP of a K-3 is still better than the crop area of a K-1 or D850. So in essence I still need an APS-c body to compliment my K-1 (or D850). As long as that's true, there will be no second FF body with my K-1. But you always want to keep up with what's lurking just over the horizon. The fact that you might never buy one, doesn't mean you don't want to be aware of it and what it's capabilities are.
08-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #202

In one of the posts concerning the K-3 limited/special/premium editions the poster said the UK allocation out of 2000 was on 40 units. Whatever the US allocation is for the K-1 I don't see any problem of them selling out. There are people who will buy the special/limited/premium editions no matter what.

As for only people with silver lenses would be buyers - I wouldn't say only. Coming from the manual focus SLR era where the majority of camera bodies were silver and the lenses were black I think black lenses look better on silver bodies than silver lens on silver or black bodies. And besides the finish on the silver lenses seldom match the finish on the silver bodies.

Perhaps @Adam could find out what the allocation of units will be for the US.

08-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's amazing how the K-1 brings older lenses to life. Whether or not the older lenses will be as good as the new DFAs, I personally doubt it. But the old FAs and F lenses still produce a better image on a K-1 than they did on APS-c. I'm not so sure about the top of the line glass. Many of us just wanted better use of our old glass. I own't be adding anymore ƒ2.8 glass, so i Pentax wants to sell me DFA lenses they'd be wise to release some variable aperture or ƒ4 lenses, because quite honestly, I'm quite impressed with lenses like my FA 35-80 on the K-1.

The thing with the D850 is it's currently perceived by many to be the best compromise for the wildlife landscape/shooter. Can you really be happy with what you bought if you don't compare it to what you could have bought. For me, the 24 MP of a K-3 is still better than the crop area of a K-1 or D850. So in essence I still need an APS-c body to compliment my K-1 (or D850). As long as that's true, there will be no second FF body with my K-1. But you always want to keep up with what's lurking just over the horizon. The fact that you might never buy one, doesn't mean you don't want to be aware of it and what it's capabilities are.
Pretty much agree - I too have been surprised at how the K1 seems to have revitalized some of my older lenses. Also agree on the crop for the wildlife. This is where the improvements in IQ on the KP are intriguing. It's good to keep up with the competition and the tech in general to gauge where it's all headed. I hope Pentax releases a FF camera where the crop is the same as the K3, so what 50MP? Haven't done the math, but figure that's what we're probably talking about. So until then, the K1 is great as it is, but there's still a spot in my bag for crop. I know some will disagree, but if I can't frame as tight as I want with the K1, I'd rather switch the same lens over to my K3II and not crop the captured image. Yes, I pixel peep, and after numerous comparison shots with the 150-450 on the K3II or K1, I have more detail with the K3II. Yes, will the K1 pull ahead when the light grows dim, absolutely. Does it have better noise control? You bet. But if it's a bright sunny day and the ISO isn't cranked up, the 24MP of the K3II does a great job and still holds it's own. Oh, and then there's that FPS thing. No, not pray and spray, but when the Osprey takes off and you're tracking him, almost twice the frame rate does make a difference.....
08-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Pretty much agree - I too have been surprised at how the K1 seems to have revitalized some of my older lenses. Also agree on the crop for the wildlife. This is where the improvements in IQ on the KP are intriguing. It's good to keep up with the competition and the tech in general to gauge where it's all headed. I hope Pentax releases a FF camera where the crop is the same as the K3, so what 50MP? Haven't done the math, but figure that's what we're probably talking about. So until then, the K1 is great as it is, but there's still a spot in my bag for crop. I know some will disagree, but if I can't frame as tight as I want with the K1, I'd rather switch the same lens over to my K3II and not crop the captured image. Yes, I pixel peep, and after numerous comparison shots with the 150-450 on the K3II or K1, I have more detail with the K3II. Yes, will the K1 pull ahead when the light grows dim, absolutely. Does it have better noise control? You bet. But if it's a bright sunny day and the ISO isn't cranked up, the 24MP of the K3II does a great job and still holds it's own. Oh, and then there's that FPS thing. No, not pray and spray, but when the Osprey takes off and you're tracking him, almost twice the frame rate does make a difference.....
Somewhere on the forum I have a rant on the whole concept of labelling using burst mode "pray and spray" . You need way more prayers using a single frame mode where your odds of achieving the image you want are greatly reduced.. But "pray even more, harder and longer and snap off a single frame" just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.
08-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #205
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Perhaps @Adam could find out what the allocation of units will be for the US.
I will post an update should I learn anything. In either case the limited model will surely sell out quickly given the popularity of the camera itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Somewhere on the forum I have a rant on the whole concept of labelling using burst mode "pray and spray" . You need way more prayers using a single frame mode where your odds of achieving the image you want are greatly reduced.. But "pray even more, harder and longer and snap off a single frame" just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.
This was in the past. Now it's not true anymore with Ricoh Theta, even if the bird is perched in your back you can still shot him and get him into a single frame.
08-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
In one of the posts concerning the K-3 limited/special/premium editions the poster said the UK allocation out of 2000 was on 40 units.
just for info, the UK is getting 60 K-1 silvers, so a slightly different patter?
08-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This was in the past. Now it's not true anymore with Ricoh Theta, even if the bird is perched in your back you can still shot him and get him into a single frame.
I often have a 23 shot burst where I have one or two frames I like. The little guy turns his head or he hops behind a small plant of a million other things. Getting the bird in the frame isn't the issue, getting a pose you really like is the issue.

I find birds to be very poor at following instructions from the photographer.
08-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #209
Pentaxian

I feel like the Silver K1 announcement is falling flat, no buzz, a bit like the WG50. In DPR the K1 Silver was not even shown in the front page, it was barely visible in a side note. It's announced like something they had to do for the sake of doing it. I'm just wondering what gets people excited these days, beside monstruous FPS, MegaSensors and AF all over the place. It's a bit like food in restaurant, in order to have customers still feel the taste of food, the cook must add more and more taste enhancer such as glutamate, otherwise the already saturated tongue will not feel the taste.
08-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #210
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
. I'm just wondering what gets people excited these days, beside monstruous FPS, MegaSensors and AF all over the place. It's a bit like food in restaurant, in order to have customers still feel the taste of food, the cook must add more and more taste enhancer such as glutamate, otherwise the already saturated tongue will not feel the taste.
You mean Leica M Monochrom Typ 246 Oslo Edition.
Leica unveils M Monochrom Oslo Edition, limited to just 10 units: Digital Photography Review