Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #1

Pros At Work In Bird's Nest In Beijing...

Just came across this site Beijing Olympics Stadium: about 30 min. before Men's 100m Final

360 degree view from the photographers' stand, you can use your mouse to turn the picture to different angles.

Loads of monster lenses,White and Black,sadly just no Gold Rings...

Enjoy the Photo!!!

There will be another massive war on counting the numbers between those canikon snobs if they see this...

08-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Hey, thanks for posting that link, what fantastic imagery and the photogs didn't know it was even being taken, aye right
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Dunno, can't exactly see what it is.

Still it wouldn't surprise me if there were some 600's or 250-600's hanging around in the Bird's Nest.
08-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Its a D3 with 400mm or 500mm...

Hopefully in 4 years time,we will see some Pentax KxxD with DA Star 100-300mm f2, 300-600mm f2, 1000mm f2.8......at London 2012, Snapping away at 50 frame a second...

08-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

this is a guy image / site, thanks.

everywhere you look, this 'pit' then down at the edge of track etc is 400-600mm lenses etc but using this guys head as pointer back up the stairs and there is 1 guy checking an image and just standing with what looks about 200mm lens, up the back, no monpod etc.

what a loser or is he the guy that just manages to get the stunning perfect shot that when they show an image from this olympics in 5 years time, it's his

(jealousy is a curse, I'd trade places with him in a flash, even with only a 200mm lens )

Last edited by philmorley; 08-21-2008 at 05:06 PM.
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

why should this photo, or any other example similar at a major sporting event be anything new? Pentax has never been into the sport shooting scene (as in, Pro shooters using Pentax gear as it is simply not the forte of the brand and equipment)...your own hobby shooting aside.

Pentax does some things really really well, but pro sports shooting is not one of them.

Jason
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

very, very cool

thanks for sharing.
08-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #8

What a waste of cameras and lenses. Surely 10 photgraphers could cover everything in there.

(And all the spare cameras and lenses after this optimisation can be sent to me :-)

08-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I am wondering if there were any C* and N* shooters yesterday doing the outdoor
events, it was raining cats and dogs in Beijing. Perhaps they have to cover the dang
expensive cameras and lenses w/ raincoats or umbrellas to get their shots.

Cheers,

Rene
08-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

wow about the poor bugger with the drink bottle and no camera, no wonder he's got his head down and is all sad.

Last edited by philmorley; 08-23-2008 at 12:03 AM.
08-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
events, it was raining cats and dogs in Beijing. Perhaps they have to cover the dang
Rene
I commented to my wife while Misti and Kerri kicked butt wondering how many Canons and Nikons got ruined that day.

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley:
wow about the poor bugger with the drink bottle and no camera, no wonder he's got his head and is all sad.
I don't think he's sad. That seems to be more of a "why the hell did I have that eighth shot of tequila" hold your head down pose. Not that I've ever been there mind you.

CW
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
most of those guys would be using the high-end Canikon stuff, e.g. a EOS 1D series body and L lens, both of which would be weather-sealed
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #13

most of them probably don't own those lenses either.

if you're a professional (you make your living off of photography) and use canon gear you can register with canon. you get a card, and at large events like the olympics, superbowl, etc. they have a area where you can get anything you want for rent. that helps canon fill the photo-pit with their grey lenses and brain-wash the masses.
08-23-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I switched from Nikon/Fuji to Canon ... and finally to Pentax (which is where I'm staying unless Pentax stops making good photography gear).

Some of the staff photographers at the Olympics may have equipment provided by the publisher (in which case they don't really get a say in brand). However, for the sake of argument, let's just talk about the shooters who bought their own gear. There is really only one reason (and three words) why more working sports photographers don't use Pentax:

FRAMES PER SECOND

Pentax AF isn't really any worse than Canon or Nikon (although I'm always happy when Pentax tries to improve AF performance). Likewise, Canon has some fantastic glass. True, they don't have as many long zooms with f/2.8 brightness, but there is some fast Pentax glass out there and the new DA* 200mm f/2.8 is just fabulous.

The main reason working sports shooters aren't buying and using Pentax is that when your likelihood of getting "the shot" (and likewise, your likelihood of keeping your job) depends on a once-in-a-lifetime event (like a sporting event) you often need to take as many photos as possible in a short amount of time to make sure you get "the shot."

I know many working photographers who cover local track & field events and motorsports who say that 4fps isn't always fast enough to get the shot they need. If you're a freelancer who doesn't get the shot, you don't get paid. If you're a staff photographer who has a publication pay for you to attend the Olympics and you don't get the shot, you don't keep your job.

So, even if you don't always "need" 7fps or more to get the shot, knowing that you can fall back on that kind of performance/crutch makes a lot of working photographers buy those cameras.

If Pentax wants more working sports photographers to use Pentax gear they need to get serious about superior burst/continuous shooting. The D3 gives you 9fps at full resolution or 11fps at 5mp resolution. The K10D and K20D can only give you a basic 3fps. Yes, I know the K20D has the 20fps mode at 1.6mp resolution ... but 1.6mp resolution isn't enough for working photographers today. (1.6mp was enough a couple of years ago, and it still is for some local newspapers, but today press photographers need a minimum of 4mp resolution ... soon it will be a minimum of 6mp.)
08-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot12 Quote
Just came across this site Beijing Olympics Stadium: about 30 min. before Men's 100m Final

360 degree view from the photographers' stand, you can use your mouse to turn the picture to different angles.

Loads of monster lenses,White and Black,sadly just no Gold Rings...
Not even an Alpha with their Zeiss lenses for that matter. Not even an Olympus with their ultraexpensive f/2 teles too. Not even a Leica