Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
I can't believe the amount of negative comments about this.
Don't worry about it.

People like to diss the Q system, just to show how discerning they are about image quality.
Sixty years ago, they would have been using Speed Graphics, because the Leica wasn't good enough.

09-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. I can't believe the amount of negative comments about this. Stay at home and don't buy it, I wish you'd keep your trash talk away from here please.
2. I'm getting one as soon as the K-mount version comes out.
yes, thank you! I feel the very same way.

But since forums are made for talking and the title is very general, I have to say:

Though i would love to buy it, the price tag is a bit heavy...
(keeping in mind no data gets transferred and i think you will loose AF too dont you?)
Keep in mind that Pentax newest tele (that is said of to have the fastest AF drive that was ever seen on a pentax-mount) nearly costs the same.

For those who cant wait to have a pentax K version... maybe a Leitax conversion would do the trick.

That is at least how i managed to get a top 85mm Tilt-Shift Nikon lens to work on my Pentax K-mount cameras.
Since no Pentax T/S with 85mm is on the market...and the mounts are actually like looking in a mirror thats 1.04mm deep...
...I thought changing mounts shouldnt be a big deal, and it was not. (admittedly) a locksmith drilled the offset holes for the screws on the adapter for me...
(The holes that are already drilled in Leitax's conversion mount rings, may not fit EVERY Nikon lens but they fit the most.)
Anyway... if you know a good locksmith or clocksmith ... ... all that should not be a problem.
09-08-2017, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

1. I can't believe the amount of negative comments about this. Stay at home and don't buy it, I wish you'd keep your trash talk away from here please.
2. I'm getting one as soon as the K-mount version comes out.
  • I'm about the biggest Q fanboy there is
  • That said, it's a ridiculous product at a price that will limit sales to double digits.
  • That said said, I still want one.
09-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the idea, but at 489 $ I'm definitly not buying one. Not even on a half price sale.

The adapter nearly doubles the weight and volume of the camera, cost more then a new Q, currently have the wrong DSLR mount, and it only makes sense with large aperture lenses that are insanely huge for such a small camera.

I would so much more have a Q-S2 with EVF and 180 degrees tiltable screen that doubles as a flash. The removal of the xenon flash will save some volume. Q should shrink. And there should be a Q-phone as well.

Last edited by Simen1; 09-24-2017 at 12:44 PM.
09-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
there should be a Q-phone as well.
Apparently,Samsung have been doing R&D on a phn with sames size sensor as Q7/QS1.The rumoured S8,probably announced @ CES next year....may??? have it.
10-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of these "speed booster" versions of Metabones adapters, but I've never seen a test of the IQ. Basically they have a "reverse TC" lens system that concentrates the incoming light rather than expanding it as a TC does. Thus it effectively shortens the FL of a lens. When used to mount a lens in front of a camera with a smaller sensor, it means you get approximately (exactly?) the same FOV you get when the same lens is mounted on a body with a larger sensor. However, because the light is concentrated, you effectively get an increase of one f-stop (= an f4 tele mounted on a Q now has light transmission equivalent to f2.8). I use a non-speed booster Metabones and can certify that the mechanical quality, the fit and finish of the metal parts, is 100% satisfactory.

RE and BTW: Unless you are using a Canon lens and the appropriate Metabones adapter, any lens you mount will lose AF and aperture control (for example a Nikon lens mounted on a Pentax Q becomes manual-focus & manual aperture). Because Canon EOS lenses use an electrical rather than a mechanical aperture control, you can get a Metabones adapter that will allow auto-aperture with aperture control from some non-Canon camera bodies and therefore all modes (AV, TV, P etc) will function normally. Some Metabones adapters (very expensive) will also allow AF with some (not all ) Canon lenses on some (not all) small-sensor bodies.

To put it in slightly different words, or spell it out: You have a 50mm f2 Nikon lens and mount it on a Pentax Q with a Metabones speed adapter. The lens on the Q has the SAME FIELD OF VIEW it would have on a FF camera body, BUT THE LIGHT TRANSMISSION @ F2 IS ACTUALLY WHAT YOU WOULD GET @ f1.4 ON A FF SENSOR. The lens loses both AF and auto-aperture close. You must focus manually and turn the aperture ring before taking a picture if you want anything other than f1.4 equivalent light transmission. With the adapter, the 50mm f2 becomes a 25mm f1.4.
10-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
(...) With the adapter, the 50mm f2 becomes a 25mm f1.4.
Not exactly: 50mm f/2 + Metabones' Devil's Speed Booster (x0.5 converter) ==> 25mm f/1.0.

Same as 300 mm f/2.8 + x2 teleconverter ==> 600 mm f/5.6 (not f/4).

10-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #53
Pentaxian

50mm x4.7(q7/qs1)=235mm.
10-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not exactly: 50mm f/2 + Metabones' Devil's Speed Booster (x0.5 converter) ==> 25mm f/1.0.

Same as 300 mm f/2.8 + x2 teleconverter ==> 600 mm f/5.6 (not f/4).
According to Metabones specifications. all of their speed boosters for still camera + still camera lens increase light transmission by one stop only (f2 becomes f1.4; f4 becomes f2.8; f5.6 becomes f4). The exception are the small number of speed boosters designed for cine-lens mounting which, depending on type, increase by 1 1/3 or 1 2/3 stop.

Could be I'm missing something, as I see no listing for a "Devil's Speed Booster."

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
10-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I've heard of these "speed booster" versions of Metabones adapters, but I've never seen a test of the IQ.
True, I've never seen an MTF test. If TC enlarge the incoming image, it is understandable to get some degradation of sharpness because every lost of detail ends up magnified at the sensor. If I consider that the MTF of the optical path comes from worse element of the path plus gain, I would assume that a speed boosters with glass of equal quality of the lens, would give at least the same MTF, i.e no degradation in IQ, as opposed to the effect of a TC. Making a mirrorless camera with a speed booster adapter to an apsc mirrorless camera would sound like a good idea, perhaps a better idea than making a mere mount adapter.
10-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #56
Pentaxian

According to Metabones specifications. all of their speed boosters for still camera + still camera lens increase light transmission by one stop only (f2 becomes f1.4; f4 becomes f2.8; f5.6 becomes f4). The exception are the small number of speed boosters designed for cine-lens mounting which, depending on type, increase by 1 1/3 or 1 2/3 stop.

Could be I'm missing something, as I see no listing for a "Devil's Speed Booster."
Could be indeed...

Metabones Devil's Speed Booster Q666 0.50x Press Release
10-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
True, I've never seen an MTF test.
Metabones post MTF curves for their adapter.
With some fancy math, you could combine that with the MTF for your lens,
to get the overall MTF for the lens + adapter system.

Where's Falk Lumo when we need him?

BTW, no sign of the Devil's Speed Booster with a K-mount yet.
10-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #58

I've heard of these "speed booster" versions of Metabones adapters, but I've never seen a test of the IQ.
Roger Cicala did some testing on the Lensrentals blog some years ago. Not the actual Q adapter of course but other models. He seemed pretty impressed with the results.
Lens Rentals | Blog
Lens Rentals | Blog
10-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Roger Cicala did some testing on the Lensrentals blog some years ago. Not the actual Q adapter of course but other models. He seemed pretty impressed with the results.
Lens Rentals | Blog
Lens Rentals | Blog

Looking at the resolution chart he has posted, especially the center and near-edge crops, there is some softening at the corners. The edges of the black lines are not quite as sharp. Still, the performance is impressive.
10-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Is that means that Q system moved from the fridge.