Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lesson seems to be that we shouldn't expect too much when the version number only increments the second decimal place.

I imagine something more exciting will appear in v1.5.

09-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
1-step closer to some major updates (hopefully ;p)

That's a positive thought. Perhaps this paves the way to the other firmware goodies...
09-14-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wonder how long till someone comments that they have noticed an improvement in their auto focus after the update?
I have some sugar pills to help with that.
09-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brumtaffy Quote
...couldn't figure why my .bin file wasn't being recognised. Then I realised the file extraction was happening automatically on my Mac, and as I still had the 1.4 file from last year in my downloads folder, my Mac was automatically renaming the new one. Doh!

Interesting the .bin files have the same name for different firmware versions...

All set to go now, but don't make my mistake, clear out your downloads folder
I extract each FW Update into its own named subfolder. I can thus downdate FW if necessary.

09-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It's running a bit faster now and I think it makes my battery last longer!

(Oh wait, I thought this was an iPhone system software upgrade thread. Never mind.)
That's funny!

They will also have done the usual software engineer's thing of sneaking in other bug fixes that hadn't been tested or even developed when 1.41 shipped.
09-14-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The lesson seems to be that we shouldn't expect too much when the version number only increments the second decimal place.

Totally..

IMO Ricoh could have so much potential with this camera if they keep adding features, that's a way to keep the camera alive meanwhile a new FF is release
09-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

That is the protocol.

09-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #38
bxf
Veteran Member

I wonder how long till someone comments that they have noticed an improvement in their auto focus after the update?
I don't know if I'm the first to notice, but there is a definite, significant improvement. And I don't even own a K-1!
09-14-2017, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's very odd. Since doing the firmware update, when I have my lens cap on and take a picture I get a really dark noisy image -- regardless of what I'm pointing the camera at!
Indeed, that is strange behaviour. Try Pixel Shift or a faster shutter speed.
09-14-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roksonne Quote
Underwhelming describes my feeling about this firmware update rather well.
You'd be impressed if your camera bricked because you inadvertently pushed the magic combination of buttons?

---------- Post added 09-14-17 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Totally..

IMO Ricoh could have so much potential with this camera if they keep adding features, that's a way to keep the camera alive meanwhile a new FF is release
It seems to me that releasing a new model with new features would be a sounder sales decision.
09-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It seems to me that releasing a new model with new features would be a sounder sales decision.
Absolutely (unless the camera makers would change their business model to sell software licenses instead of hardware).
09-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'd be impressed if your camera bricked because you inadvertently pushed the magic combination of buttons?

A new version of the K-1, with hardware improvements that can't be replicated in a firmware upgrade is one thing, such as with the K-3/K-3ii, but an entirely new model that sits above the K-1 is quite another. I would expect the latter will precede the revamped K-1, so both a new body and continued firmware feature development for the present one are likely, not to mention desirable, both from a user and a sales perspective.
09-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

How do olympus/fuji/panasonic do it then? Why making existing clients happy (which would boost loyalty), or stepping up from the normal (old) dslr tactics (new bodies with new features) is a bad thing?

There are limits to firmware upgrades, but I think magic lantern and milc producing companies showed that it is possible to further develop a product and extend its life span and general interest towards said product.
09-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Anyone know the specific bug that is fixed by this release?
09-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, and I doubt we will ever find out. Perhaps a corner case they thought nobody would hit that ended up being a sore point anyway.